Generation V External Engine LT1 Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What alternator should i be running procharged ls1

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What alternator should i be running procharged ls1

I know this has probably been asked a 1000 times, but i need a alternator with more amps down low. My dash lights and hids surge like crazy at night. I did the big 3 which didn't really help at all. I currently have a stock alternator on the car with big 3 and new optima battery. Whats my best choice for one? I know i can run a truck alternator cause it will hit my procharger, and can i take my alternator off with out removing the blower? Thanks guys.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by stanggreg90
I know this has probably been asked a 1000 times, but i need a alternator with more amps down low. My dash lights and hids surge like crazy at night. I did the big 3 which didn't really help at all. I currently have a stock alternator on the car with big 3 and new optima battery. Whats my best choice for one? I know i can run a truck alternator cause it will hit my procharger, and can i take my alternator off with out removing the blower? Thanks guys.
I was hypothetically thinking that the blower was robbing some of your alternator's power due to the increased resistance on the drive belt / less available load to the alternator, much like when you turn the A/C on and you drop down to about 11 Volts while idle... I may be wrong though. The stock alternator isn't really that great. It's fairly weak, although I'm still alittle surprised that the Big 3 and your new Optima Red Top didn't help your cause.

I'd step up to a Powermaster 48206 (F-Body) - about 110 amps at idle which is pretty much the peak of the stock alt.

Change the alternator quick because Redtop Batteries do NOT like weak alternators. When they drain, even a healthy alternator alone won't be enough to bring it back to life and it requires a special charging process in order to revive it.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a lot for the good info Need4Camaro

Quick Reply: What alternator should i be running procharged ls1