Generation V Internal Engine 2013-20xx LT1

New LT1 for 2014 6.2l alum block

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 02:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The feasibility of swapping heads to the earlier gen motors may be more interesting for the 5.3/4.8 people, who've never had access to the l92 heads. Maybe an aftermarket port injection intake or carbureted intake?
Don't get me wrong, it would be a big step back compared to DI obviously, I'm just assuming that the new heads will flow a significant amount more. After all, people have already been willing to swap to a carburetor on the ls, maybe one day a (cheap) head swap at the same time will bring gains.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:09 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will the 2014 Camaros be getting LS7s?
Old 01-03-2013, 09:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
Bigg_Gunz, on this topic...

What would take for an LT1 to take the same amount of boost as the LS9? 1. A force induction device supercharger or turbo. 2. Acknowledge the risk and then proceed. I think this is pertinent to many folks looking at the new base Corvette. Despite what looks like a near copy, the LS9 has different grade aluminum block, piston oil squirters, and forged everything compared to the LS3. To me, it seemed like a new block almost. From an Engineering blueprint and metals the LS9 is night and day different than the LS3. And LS9 is far superior in strength than the LS3 obviously.

In this new generation the casing and crank seems to be at LS9 levels of stoutness on the base block. Are forged caps, pistons and rods the only other goodies needed for LS9 like robustness? The 2014 LT1/GEN V is superior than the LS9 in every conceivable way.

...and then... is that all big brother will get for the bottom end?No comment

Bigg Gunz
Old 01-03-2013, 09:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by texas94z
Are GM titanium rods used strictly used to lower reciprocating mass or to increase strength?
Same reason someone would run aluminum rods... except with titanium you have greater durability and reliability,reducing mass, increase power output.... etc...etc...

Bigg Gunz
Old 01-03-2013, 09:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ace_xp2
The feasibility of swapping heads to the earlier gen motors may be more interesting for the 5.3/4.8 people, who've never had access to the l92 heads. Maybe an aftermarket port injection intake or carbureted intake?
Don't get me wrong, it would be a big step back compared to DI obviously, I'm just assuming that the new heads will flow a significant amount more. After all, people have already been willing to swap to a carburetor on the ls, maybe one day a (cheap) head swap at the same time will bring gains.
Putting the 2014 LT1 heads on a 4.8/5.3 is pointless in all aspects the bore size could NEVER be optimized for the heads potential....And for anyone who engineer the heads again to fit the 4.8/5.3 etc is going to lose money. It would be a bottomless money pit. My advice... take that idea and bury it....then never come back to it. You're welcome.

Everyone has access to the LS3/L92 heads. They are under $630.00 brand new...... I'm sure they can be had for much less used......if a person cannot obtain these mass production heads.... then there is a 100% chance they will not be able obtain these 2014 LT1 heads. That is just the truth.

Dealing with the 2014 LT1 heads.....aftermarket can engineer a port injection system for GEN V heads if and when they want too. In my expert opinion there is no better way to lose money. And waste time from real development. 5 minutes maybe less of thinking will lead there engineers to that conclusion.

They will NOT do it....why? Because at the end of the idea/day all they would end up with is a LS1,LS2, LS3, LM7, LQ9, etc.. platform.engine with 12 degree port injection aftermarket heads. That ALREADY EXIST.......Heads are the most expensive part of an engine to develop, any aftermarket company will tell you that.

Let me be BRUTAL.....if you want port injection stick with LS3, L92, LS7 <-----these are race port injection engine. And as good as it gets...for port injection... if you want more, go for some exotic aftermarket heads. $3000.00 and up

An attempt on turning the 2014 LT1 heads to port injection is a MONEY PIT, TIME WASTE, REDUNDANCY. Not to mention you would have to design and all new intake system......

Listen.... its just millions and millions of dollars in redevelopment, protoype, testing, production, no demand, no sales....that NO company would want on the books.

Bigg Gunz

Last edited by Bigg_Gunz; 01-03-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bigg_Gunz
L92 = Strongest NON FORGE crankshaft ever.

LS3 = Strongest and Slightly lighter the L92crankshaft NON FORGE crankshaft ever.

LS2 = Brittle with it high carbon content..this is still a good crankshaft however it is weaker than the LS3 or L92. (personally I don't like the LS2 crankshafts) doesn't mean they aren't good...just not up to my personal standards when dealing with Four Digit Horsepower.

Without getting into proprietary information I'll explain it in a fashion that will help you understand..

The differences are at the foundries when the LS3 or L92 are cast they add small amounts of nickel. The true difference between the LS3 and L92 other than weight, is the amount of Magnesium in the melt. This really toughens up the LS3 crankshafts. These exact amount is proprietary obviously. So I'll explain why this happens so you'll gain some insight.

Different applications needs different shock absorption properties/rates. Yes the Crankshaft is a shock absorber that rotates. What it does is absorbs or dissipates the energy oscillations caused by the combustion cycles. And those cycles have a frequency which is why engines have dampers. And yes...the damper/balance is also a shock absorber. And those balancers are tuned for a concern frequency, vibration, and rpm. They are a team.... that works together.

Now back to the subject......

All crankshafts bend/flex they oscillate just like a guitar string on the macro level. They have too.... as engineer I look at and analysis critical points gyro-spic energy and shaft/crankshaft asymmerty while in operation. In simple terms how much does the crankshaft need to bend and flex to get rid of the violent vibrations as performance output increases.

The LS3 and L92 are not a homogeneous mass, they have complex grain structures in them due to the nickel and magnesium being added for YIELD STRENGTH. And YIELD STRENGTH can be seen or view as SHOCK ABSORPTION PROPERTY when rotating. And we need greater shock absorption because of the increase in performance output of these engines LS3/ L92.

This means they can take more abuse then any other non forge crank and even out perform some forge crankshafts. The LS3/L92 can take 1600HP when balanced properly.

When I say balanced properly, this goes beyond the idea of just having your crank,rods,pistons and piston ring pack. I'm including the common sense idea you need to upgrade your damper/balancer.

Failure to upgrade your damper will result in a BENT CRANKSHAFT. Whenever someone bends one of these crankshaft or any 1999 and up GM V8 crankshafts the easy way out is to say, "hey I hit a 1000HP + on a stock crankshaft it was only a matter of time." (((WRONG))) it is your inexperience that you did NOT upgrade your damper, that lead to you bending your crankshaft.

So what you do is go to where the engine is with that bent crankshaft look at the balancer 10 out 10 times its STOCK balancer on a 1000HP+ engine. (Or the balancer is shattered or missing).

That increase in output is going to take your Crankshaft from behaving like a fine tuned Guitar strings.....(HARMONIC) and start taking on the behavior just like a rubber band... it sure will bend it and heat up the main caps until they are FIRE ENGINE RED HOT and once it cools welcome to BENT CRANKSHAFT.

Bigg Gunz.
So why does GM list the same crankshaft part number for the LS3 and the L92 when you say they are not the same?
Old 01-03-2013, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by oneBADDz
So why does GM list the same crankshaft part number for the LS3 and the L92 when you say they are not the same?
To be fair, things may be getting over-simplified. GM may have consolidated some of these part numbers but I would not expect an LS2 and LS3 crank to be exactly the same. The LS3 crank would have to be balanced for the difference in bore and piston weight, just off the top of my head. That means at minimum the counter-weights are altered if I were to guess.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bigg_Gunz
Putting the 2014 LT1 heads on a 4.8/5.3 is pointless in all aspects the bore size could NEVER be optimized for the heads potential....And for anyone who engineer the heads again to fit the 4.8/5.3 etc is going to lose money. It would be a bottomless money pit. My advice... take that idea and bury it....then never come back to it. You're welcome.
Thanks, though I feel I should mention that I was thinking of the upcoming 5.3 DI truck heads, not the LT1 heads. Given the name of this thread, I probably should have pointed that out.

Last edited by ace_xp2; 01-03-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

What would take for an LT1 to take the same amount of boost as the LS9? 1. A force induction device supercharger or turbo. 2. Acknowledge the risk and then proceed. I think this is pertinent to many folks looking at the new base Corvette. Despite what looks like a near copy, the LS9 has different grade aluminum block, piston oil squirters, and forged everything compared to the LS3. To me, it seemed like a new block almost. From an Engineering blueprint and metals the LS9 is night and day different than the LS3. And LS9 is far superior in strength than the LS3 obviously.

In this new generation the casing and crank seems to be at LS9 levels of stoutness on the base block. Are forged caps, pistons and rods the only other goodies needed for LS9 like robustness? The 2014 LT1/GEN V is superior than the LS9 in every conceivable way.

...and then... is that all big brother will get for the bottom end?No comment Bigg Gunz
execpt for the ease of tuning, and making power.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mreracer
bg,
please elaborate on the differences and benefits of the crankshafts you mentioned, ie: L92 vs ls3 and also the ls2. Aren't they all the same?
Mre
Old 01-04-2013, 02:53 AM
On The Tree

1000RWHP is excessive for the street as this is in the range of 1200hp at the crank. At the track is only place you can truly set this power level with traction.

A fun car for the street? 950HP......

LSA HEADS
LS9 Gaskets
LSA Rods & Pistons
Aftermarket Coated Bearings Mains and Rods
LQ9 LQ4 block
Z06 or LS9 Cam
76-83mm turbo
Ls7 lifers
LS3 Intake with supporting injectors & pump

Keep the RPM under 6800RPM.

Easily completed for 5000.00 or less and it will survive 100,000 miles and never have to open the engine up again if your tuning is up to snuff.

Bigg Gunz[/QUOTE]

mmm lsa pistons in a lq4/lq9 block? Bore difference??!! I think we get the point though!!
Old 01-04-2013, 08:07 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Area47
execpt for the ease of tuning, and making power.
the guy said it will tune itself. you don't think algorithms can't mimic what we do in Hptuners?

i just wonder if the ECM will be powerful enough to do that.

Last edited by disc0monkey; 01-04-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:26 AM
Banned

Good morning,

9 Days to Go!

If any of you guys/member are a 100% without a shadow of the doubt going to be at the C7 unveiling. Message me and let me know in advance no later than 1pm Eastern Time TODAY!

Bigg Gunz
Old 01-04-2013, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by disc0monkey
the guy said it will tune itself. you don't think algorithms can't mimic what we do in Hptuners?

i just wonder if the ECM will be powerful enough to do that.
you are still limited by the confines of an encrypted ecm, what gm set in place as torque management, what they set in place as injection timing. you are still limited by a non excistant aftermarket for larger injectors despite the ability to put "bolt ons" on the engine and have the engine compensate for it. YaY. slap a turbo on the lt1 without ability to change the cal and you hit the wall really quick on a huge amount of factors. the ability of the engine to range from 430-500hp is a cal change for different gm vehicles, aside from the truck. thats peachy, you however, are still limited more than you think.

so my reasoning still stands.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:41 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Area47
you are still limited by the confines of an encrypted ecm, what gm set in place as torque management, what they set in place as injection timing. you are still limited by a non excistant aftermarket for larger injectors despite the ability to put "bolt ons" on the engine and have the engine compensate for it. YaY. slap a turbo on the lt1 without ability to change the cal and you hit the wall really quick on a huge amount of factors. the ability of the engine to range from 430-500hp is a cal change for different gm vehicles, aside from the truck. thats peachy, you however, are still limited more than you think.

so my reasoning still stands.
not trying to disagree with you, yes if you need bigger injectors, we are screwed.

he said the oem fuel system will support around 1000 hp.

i believe we were getting hints that with the sensors mentioned to be part of this new system (3bar MAP, wideband, EGT), the capability to self learn a cam, E85. It wouldn't be too crazy to believe they have a Enrichment/PSI calculations/adaptions and spark retard/PSI or other more effective models.

Let's face it, if the motor can learn a new cam on it's own, there is reason to believe itll learn a turbo/supercharger.

The only dead end we should be fearing is N20, according to the info here.

You're 100% right with the fact that if we wanted to squeeze some more low hanging fruit out of the tune and bring it to the ragged edge, then yes, we will have issues for a few years there.

Last edited by disc0monkey; 01-04-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by disc0monkey

he said the oem fuel system will support around 1000 hp.
I'm not going back and find the statement, but I believe BG said the DI fuel system would support more HP than the block could handle... I think that would be way more than 1000 shp. No need to change injectors or tune the fuel tables unless you plan to split the block wide open...
MrE
Old 01-04-2013, 01:24 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MrEracer
I'm not going back and find the statement, but I believe BG said the DI fuel system would support more HP than the block could handle... I think that would be way more than 1000 shp. No need to change injectors or tune the fuel tables unless you plan to split the block wide open...
MrE
cool, even better
Old 01-04-2013, 01:25 PM
Banned

As I've covered a lot of information and I've tried to explain it in way that public friendly and not make it complex from an engineering stand point.

These engines are stout and the ECM is very smart.

I realize everyone is NOT going to heed my advice and that is fine. You can't reach everyone in life and that's fine.....Some people in life can learn lesson through reading and some just have to make the mistake before they get it.

These engines are expensive to play with.... when I say "acknowledge the risk" that means understand you are playing with your personal safety and you're home and your car.

Acknowledge the fact if you or whom ever you choose to make modifications to your car run the risk of making some very very expensive mistakes. Nothing is more important than your life and your personal safety at the end of the day.

Please understand......

These cars have a black box... and all data variables is RECOVERABLE. (EXCEPT GPS) as I've explained tracking someone is highly illegal.

I urge that you DO NOT PLAY WITH THESE ENGINES OR ECM's if you are NOT okay with a VOIDED WARRANTY and the risk of HURTING YOURSELF or a LOVE one.

Bigg Gunz
Old 01-04-2013, 01:42 PM
12 Second Club

that's fine, im all for not having to spend money
Old 01-04-2013, 01:58 PM
Banned

I'll do my best to address question on this forum and pm.

Have I seen the next generation camaro? Yes I have and it looks billion times better than the current camaro. (which I am not a fan of the looks or plus size model like weight)

Will I personally own an C7? Yes I'll absolutely buy the C7. And sell my current C6Z06 as I have no need for it with the C7.

Is the LS9 going to make into any other production car besides the ZR1 Corvette? (Yes and that car will be very rare less then 1500 will be produced)

Are you still registering for the GEN V give aways? See post #630

Do you think the trans am is ever coming back? (Sadly No...I wish it did everyone is not fond of the CAMARO looks).

What is the fastest car you're company has tested after the late 80's sledgehammer corvette? A mildly modify 6.2 liter ZR1 in 2010 reached 237mph.

Is the death of the V8 serious? Yes...the death of the V8 will happen 2019 2020'ish. No question or buts about it.

Bigg Gunz

Quick Reply: New LT1 for 2014 6.2l alum block