Holden Performance Australian LS1 Powered Vehicles

My 2012 Holden Built Caprice

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Accrdwgnguy
I would love one of those for a DD. I assume you would have to be a government employee to qualify for purchase?

Yes, it was a pain in the ***, it wasn't just show ID and go. Im sure they'll be available soon enough. From what I read, supposedly it is going to be introduced in the states as the Caprice SS with a 400+ hp 6.0.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:19 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ComingInHot
That's what I was thinking. I spoke to Kooks, they seem to think a G8 setup would work, if it doesn't they would take it back without a restocking fee. BLR346, any Aussie sites that sell parts for these cars?
Depends what you're after? FOr the exhaust, it might be cheaper to get one custom made over there?
Could try contacting XFORCE over here for the exhaust, but I wouldn't go buying the headers here as RHD and LHD would be different.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by BLR346
Depends what you're after? FOr the exhaust, it might be cheaper to get one custom made over there?
Could try contacting XFORCE over here for the exhaust, but I wouldn't go buying the headers here as RHD and LHD would be different.

That's the route it looks like I'm going to take, Kooks swore their G8 system would work, no dice.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:42 PM
Staging Lane

I am actually surprised they sold a caprice to you at all.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by High School Goat
I am actually surprised they sold a caprice to you at all.

My job has its perks lol
Old 06-14-2013, 08:37 PM
Teching In

Sorry to bump a dead thread but I had to comment on this one. A stock G8 exhaust will not work without being modified. The 2011 & up Caprice (by any other name a Holden WM Caprice with some US mods) has a longer wheelbase and it was stretched in two places, rear door area and in the trunk. When I went to put on my SLP Powerflo exhaust, the shop had to put a 4.5 inch pipe extension on so the tips would clear the trunk.

Also, we've had one member recently let us know that Kooks is interested in producing a run of their 1 7/8" headers for the Caprice. Basically these will be modified G8 headers. One side is identical to the G8, the other side will be Caprice only. An oil cooler is in the way so the header has to be re-engineered.

That's one problem with owning a very limited production run car, not many people make accessories that will fit due to economics (I.E. not enough cars to justify the expense of R&D and production). Since right now law enforcement doesn't routinely mod their cars performance-wise, it's limited to the 200 or so cars in private hands, as 95% or more of the sold cars so far are in govt. service. GM's only sold less then 5,700 of these in the US so far according to the available released sales figures. No telling how many are untitled still in GM factory hands and as GM dealer demos, etc.... I can tell you first hand its expensive as hell to import stuff in from Australia due to shipping costs among other things.

Thanks
Eric
Old 12-29-2013, 10:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Aussie dollar is extremely strong right now, that's one reason Holden's manufacturing is being phased out by 2017 and why parts are so expensive for the Holden stuff GM sold in the US.

The 2014 Caprice is getting the same interior enhancements found on the SS along with a real column shift. If you want to buy one of these to drive it looks like the 2014+ will be the one to get.

I see Caprices lightly used showing up for sale online and the prices are really reasonable. Parts like better seats, speakers, interior trim, etc should be readily available from Australia from places like jhp.com.au and Crazy Paul on the G8 and SS forums.

ls1.com.au is an awesome resource on Holden cars as well, it's my first go to for info and parts on the GTO and G8 I had.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:08 PM
Teching In

Yep, the 2014 Caprice is getting the Evoke interior. Decontented naturally along with the Mylink. The drivetrain is a carryover from the 2011-2013, no changes there. Slightly modified police seating from the 2011-2013, little bit of additional bolstering.

The 2011-2013 9C3 cars were and continue to be the hot setup as they had the civilian center console with the G8 style shifter. No tap-shift option on the 9C1 along with the flat center console, and now since it's being supplied only with the dash shifter (not nit-picking but it's not a real column shifter) it'll never have tap-shift unless someone rigs a way to use the SS wheel and paddles.

Horsepower per dollar the 2011-2012 cars are the best buy out there right now as opposed to the SS. People are going to figure out soon enough that if they spend $25-28K as opposed to $50K that the remaining money can purchase an awful lot of mods.... C.P. is a daily participant on our forums as well. Also... the Holden iQ is now cracked and can be opened for everything except the 12-disk CD ripping and the Nav (no hard drive) - as long as you add the wiring to the harnesses. Progress is being made!

Eric

Last edited by elc32955; 12-29-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Somewhere on tech there was a guy who said he could fly anywhere in the world for free and was interested in bringing back rare parts to the US for GM people.

Sounds like this is the niche he was looking for!
Old 12-29-2013, 12:45 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

These are neat cars. I see a red Caprice in my area from time to time. One of those "double take" cars.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:12 AM
FormerVendor

G8 Headers will fit with a lot of modification as previously mentioned by Eric.....Headers from Australia will NOT fit they hit the steering ( being left hand drive ) same problem wih the G8 ..your car has a longer wheel base than the G8 so the rear muffler mounts need to be extended if you use the G8 mufflers and the tail pipes will need to be extended ..G8 tail pipes are a bit short...same wheel base as the HVS Maloo ute in my garage..

Last edited by NextLevelPerformance; 02-24-2014 at 10:19 AM. Reason: ADDED CONTENT

Quick Reply: My 2012 Holden Built Caprice