Hot Rod Power Tour/ Pump Gas Drags/ Drag Week Covers all Hot Rod events

Long Hauler Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 09:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Long Hauler Question

I want to do the Long Haul on the Power Tour next year but have a couple questions. First off I am not going to drive my car all the way to IA for the starting point...so I will have to trailer it there. Since I will have the truck and trailer there I will have to load the car and trailer it between "stops"...is that frowned on by the other participants and will it cause any problems about us being considered Long Haulers? I want to take my SOM car but wont if thats going to be an issue...we will just have to take one of the others. This will be our first Power Tour so I am not sure how that works...I would assume there are quite a few trailered cars there????
Old 10-14-2009, 02:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think that is how it works, but these guys will let you know.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:02 PM
TECH Addict

OK, anybody that actually KNOWS and has experience with it?
Old 10-14-2009, 11:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

I've been going on the Power Tour for about 13 years or so, and have only seen a couple of people trailer their cars. Personally, I think it takes away all of the fun of the trip, but to each his own.......
Old 10-15-2009, 07:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
I've been going on the Power Tour for about 13 years or so, and have only seen a couple of people trailer their cars. Personally, I think it takes away all of the fun of the trip, but to each his own.......
It's your preference I guess, damn near 5,000 cars were registered to drive throughout the week and even the big venders drove, and beat on their stuff. It part of the experience, driving you car, maintaining it, trying to keep it cool, cleaning every night, (if it rains nearly every day like this year). I'd say, from experience, there were very few people trailering their cars. I saw 2 trailers, the last day, and they were trying to sneak their cars off in the morning behind a motel. Drive it!!!

-SS
Old 10-15-2009, 06:49 PM
TECH Addict

Well driving its out of the question...and since our two boys and my parents are going we have to take the truck...so look for a lifted black F350 pulling a black enclosed trailer with a SOM WS6 inside...that will be US!
Old 10-15-2009, 09:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Some people do take trucks with trailers to run "sweeper" in case their car breaks down, but they still drive them, so it's not completely out of the question to drive it. It IS a driving show, that's what it was started for, to prove to people that the cars in HotRod magazine were more than just "showcars". My car was spotted at a gas stop by the editor of the magazine, and was featured in it because it was being driven, that most likley wouldn't have happened if it was on a trailer. I'm not trying to **** anybody off, just saying......
Old 10-16-2009, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Some people do take trucks with trailers to run "sweeper" in case their car breaks down, but they still drive them, so it's not completely out of the question to drive it. It IS a driving show, that's what it was started for, to prove to people that the cars in HotRod magazine were more than just "showcars". My car was spotted at a gas stop by the editor of the magazine, and was featured in it because it was being driven, that most likley wouldn't have happened if it was on a trailer. I'm not trying to **** anybody off, just saying......
My cars already had a 5 page feature in High Performance Pontiac this year...so they wont do a feature on it anyway (you know the part where they ask about other mag coverage...they dont want to overlap cars that have already been featured in other mags within the last 18 months.) I am not saying I wont drive the car at all but if its going to rain I wont and so on. The entire suspension is detailed and chromed...it takes FOREVER to clean.

I was just basicaly just wanting to know if the car has to be driven the entire way to be considered a Long Hauler or if it just had to make all the stops. I would really like to add that to the resume of the car.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The driving is a big part of the fun.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:23 PM
TECH Veteran

I understand the not wanting to take a month to clean it when you get home, but I guess most people just do it anyway. That is a damn nice looking car you have, and I can almost guarantee you it WILL rain at some time during the Tour! It always does!!
Originally Posted by 97ramsst

I was just basicaly just wanting to know if the car has to be driven the entire way to be considered a Long Hauler or if it just had to make all the stops. I would really like to add that to the resume of the car.
And as for "having to be driven", well, there are no set in stone rules about that to my knowledge. But if you're wanting to add it to the resume of the car, what's the point? The bragging rights of being a "Long Hauler" (and that's all they are) is being able to say I DROVE the whole Power Tour.

Think of it like this, If someone asks you "Have you ever taken that car to the track?", if you just physically took the car there, but DIDN'T run it, can you honestly say yes I have?
Old 10-19-2009, 03:24 PM
Launching!

I am looking forward to the Power Tour next year. Your truck would be considered the Long Hauler...not the WS6.

As a side note...we should get some pictures together...
Old 11-22-2009, 07:58 AM
11 Second Club

I'm pretty sure that what you're proposing will not get you the long hauler award.

Last one I was one was back in 04 with my " magazine feature car " 73 RS Camaro. It rained pretty much the entire time..yes it sucked to have spend hours cleaning it up when I got home, but it was well worth it!

I'm planning on doing a bulk of the tour this year as well...just drive it, you won't regret it man!
Old 12-31-2009, 10:09 AM
TECH Resident

IMO your F350 will be the long hauler not your TA. To answer your question yes it will be frowned upon by other participants, but no one in charge of the Power Tour will know the difference if you trailer it and you probably could still get your Long Hauler award. I feel it would be very dishonest to say your TA was a Power Tour long hauler if you did not drive it between stops. I am a 6 time long hauler with my SOM SS. MANY other cars are magazine feature cars and they are driven and get dirty this 1 week a year. They clean up. Drive it or take something else on the tour.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:29 AM
On The Tree

just drive it.... your not a long hauler if you dont put the miles on the car... iam a member of the 2007 group and i put over 3k miles on in 10 days and it was alot of fun.. and when i got back the car got cleaned and looked just as good as when it left. it was one of the best times of my life and driving with all the other cars stop to stop was a big part of the fun
Old 01-01-2010, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

I would say drive it the whole way and have your family drive the truck and trailer behind you incase you break down...I guess it comes down to the point of...is it a show car (trailer queen) or a nice car to drive in show room condition
Old 02-01-2010, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its an F-body.... drive it....
Old 06-12-2010, 11:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Geeze man it is a fouth gen f body not a restored concourse 1923 Rolls Royce ... drive the thing and don't be a poser..

Quick Reply: Long Hauler Question