Hot Rod Power Tour/ Pump Gas Drags/ Drag Week Covers all Hot Rod events

How was the tour?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 08:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How was the tour?

I'm thinking about driving to FL to do the 2006 Power Tour. For the guys and girls that have done it... how did you like it? From what I have seen there are many hundreds of cars on the tour. That makes a 30 car caravan seem like a walk in the park by yourself Do you get overloaded at times and is it something you'd do again?
Old 09-29-2005, 09:54 PM
Fiery Features Director

This year was my second year and I absolutely loved it! However, don't burn yourself out trying to see everything on the first day. You will have an entire week to check out cars. You are going to have a great time and meet tons of great people!
Old 09-30-2005, 02:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'll 2nd what Zangel said. I'd do it again in a heart beat. Met tons of great knowledgable people, etc. For me the funnest part was hanging around the hotel/motel/shack/whatever after the main show. I sat around and talked to several "big names" well into the night, and met plenty of very knowledgable and interesting people. From GM Exec's to the owner of "The Mule" camaro, to, now famous (of PHR) Zangel, and so on.
There were 4500 cars leaving springfield this year, I believe. I'll have to check HOTROD for that info. If you don't get HOTROD, I suggest picking up the newest copy that has info about it in there. Also, if you get CAR CRAFT, the green 78 fairlane had many of its photos shot in a gas station in some podunk town at a fuel stop. The Frieburger is everywhere, taking pictures, talking to people etc.
I doubt I'll make this coming years PT, as thats a long round trip, moreso than the 4010 I had this year.

Any questions feel free to ask... I can, and still do, ramble about it for hours.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:31 PM
FormerVendor

I agree the hotel after the show in every town was awsome, so many people hang out. There are so many different cars and people to see and meet. It was a fun 7+ days. I am only 45 minutes from Kissimme so I will be there for sure next year, we shall see if I have enough time to go again the whole way next year.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:22 AM
11 Second Club

my times already off work.. its a great time.. something every car (person) should do..

almost said car guy.. LOL
Old 10-01-2005, 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

my wife and i have done 4 tours,00,01,02,05--loved them all--going again in 06....as you see we drive a long way---wish there were more tours..cannot get enough-
Old 10-02-2005, 03:52 PM
Teching In

My family no longer asks if I am going. They now ask "when is the Tour?" I did half tours on the '99 East and 2000 tours and have long hauled from '01 through '05. It is the perfect motorhead vacation. I have friends all over the country that I see at tour each year. In '01 I ran with the British guys in the rented (and flamed) Caddy, a couple from Australia who returned for '05, and folks from every region of the states.
I wish it would go back to the older format where tour was at least 10 days and really went across the country. Tour had gotten too big. It was growing each year, but when the days and total miles were reduced the attendance and long haul numbers just exploded. Now that so many people have tried the tour, and make it an annual event, do you think a longer route would make fewer people go?
Old 10-05-2005, 11:52 AM
11 Second Club

long hauled last year from PA and will be doin it again this year considering the tour ends about 45 minutes from where i live this year, its gonna be great!! cant wait.
like someone allready mentioned....one of those things you have to do atleast once in your life...you wont regret it.!!!
Old 10-05-2005, 11:53 PM
TECH Junkie

i did it in 03, 04, and 05. i will be on it again in 06, dunno how much. i recommend it to anybody that likes being around a bunch of other car ppl and beautiful cars. defenately don't burn yourself out in one day
Old 10-07-2005, 10:07 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ImpalaGuy
I wish it would go back to the older format where tour was at least 10 days and really went across the country. Tour had gotten too big. It was growing each year, but when the days and total miles were reduced the attendance and long haul numbers just exploded. Now that so many people have tried the tour, and make it an annual event, do you think a longer route would make fewer people go?
I think gas prices alone will weed out this years tour at least the number of people that are in the long haul crew.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the info!

What is the easiest way to book a room at each location? Is there a central place that most people stay at each night or is everyone spread out and just meet up in the morning?
Old 10-11-2005, 12:14 AM
TECH Junkie

there are power tour hotels, ones that HR has some deal with. when we go, we forget that and jsut find hotels online as close to the venues as we can. best thing to do is to go on the Power Tour forum on the hotrod website
Old 11-09-2005, 02:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tbyrne
Thanks for the info!

What is the easiest way to book a room at each location? Is there a central place that most people stay at each night or is everyone spread out and just meet up in the morning?
Hi Tom,

This is my first tour. I registered last night. There is a link on the HOTROD website that will direct you to an agency that has arrangements with hotels along the tour. The only thing I could tell was they are very close to the venues. One thing I quickly realized was the closer to the venue the more the rooms cost. I booked all of my stays for each stop on the tour at Hampton Inn's through the Hampton Inn websites. Between military rates and AAA rates I saved a fortune. The Hampton Inn at one stop, booked through the Powertour website was $140.00. I got my room for $80.00 and am about 5 miles from the venue. I called each hotel to ask what the proximity was to the events. The farthest I am is 16 miles and thats in Englishtown. I dont mind driving a little bit if it means I can save some money to spend on your website

There were plenty of rooms available along the tour according to the Hampton Inn website and they have the most comfortable beds in the business.

Look forward to meeting you on the Tour.

Fratsit
Old 11-09-2005, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

youll have a blast on the tour, i did the first half of the tour last year with 3 of my buddies last year and every part of the tour is a blast. i would have to say the best time was cruising from milwaukee to springfield at 100mph+ with about 10 fbodies and several other muscle cars in one pack. i remember zangel being in the group. wish i would have met her in person at one of the venues though.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:00 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by evergreen0077
youll have a blast on the tour, i did the first half of the tour last year with 3 of my buddies last year and every part of the tour is a blast. i would have to say the best time was cruising from milwaukee to springfield at 100mph+ with about 10 fbodies and several other muscle cars in one pack. i remember zangel being in the group. wish i would have met her in person at one of the venues though.
Now that was utterly badass. A few 1st gens...4th gens. Tony was in that group also, red first gen. Some spots 4 lanes.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was in that group as well I went with evergreen and another buddy for the 05 tour and had a blast. If I had the money to spend I would do it again, but college takes most of it away, so we will have to see when the time comes.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

I should probably get moving on this soon if I want to go this year
Old 12-29-2005, 08:42 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had fun even though I had my trans go out on me in Tennesee on the way home. I would do it again, but not 06. I don't like the venues and states that they are going through. I think they should have it from Chicago to Vegas. That would be a sweet drive.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

I just signed up and will be working on getting the car modded for this soon
Old 01-12-2006, 02:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 4thGenCamaro
I had fun even though I had my trans go out on me in Tennesee on the way home. I would do it again, but not 06. I don't like the venues and states that they are going through. I think they should have it from Chicago to Vegas. That would be a sweet drive.
lol...imagine what would happen getting 1000+ hotrods and street machines in the nevada desert....open road with no traffic....no cops.....no nothing for miles...hmmmmmmm, can anyone say canninball...lol

Quick Reply: How was the tour?