International Members For our members outside of the USA

European members, how did you... ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 11:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default European members, how did you... ?

Hi Guys,

I'm in the US right now, but I'll be moving back to Sweden in a years time or so, and I'm planning to bring my T/A with me to Sweden.

So, how did you guys euro-convert your vehicles? If I recall correctly, I'm going to need at least yellow turn-signals, and a speedo that shows KM/h bigger than MPH.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm not sure about the law over there in Sweden, but in Belgium and France you have to change various things like the mirrors, add fog lights, add side indicators etc. You can usually get some of these parts from someone who's converted it to Europe specs, got his registration papers, then reconverted it to US specs (so he doesn't need the European stuff anymore). At least that's how it often happens here.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TA-Swede
Hi Guys,

I'm in the US right now, but I'll be moving back to Sweden in a years time or so, and I'm planning to bring my T/A with me to Sweden.

So, how did you guys euro-convert your vehicles? If I recall correctly, I'm going to need at least yellow turn-signals, and a speedo that shows KM/h bigger than MPH.
Hi,

Again not sure about Sweden, but for the UK it is fairly easy. I had to add yellow turn signal indicators to the front sides of the car. I bought some from a national car auto spares center and wired them up to the turn signal indicators. I drilled a small hole for them where the SS badges are - just in front of the front wheels.

I also had to add a single rear red fog light to the back of the car. I used one of the spare holes in the radio bezel, next to the front fog light switch. Again, easy to do - ran the wires through the inside of the car to the trunk and then out through the grommet - fog light is held in place to the underside of the rear bumper.

My side mirrors did not need to be changed at all (euro spec models have folding mirrors and also have built in fog lights in the rear bumber). So, for the UK it was these 2 simple additions. My car was imported from Canada, so it was in Km/h but even though the UK is in mph, it did not need to be changed as the speedo has both km/h and mph shown. If you really need to change yours, you might be able to get by with just putting a km/h speedo overlay on your bezel??

Fbodyeurope might have some members from Sweden who can add input also??

Good luck,
Old 08-23-2008, 07:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've heard some country's require a different fuel filler neck! Not sure about that though but it's mentioned in the SVA as one thing that may have to be changed!
All I needed was side signals,headlight realignment.
I have Euro spec headlights & rear fog light! I have the original US spec side mirrors, again mentioned in the SVA as a change, if your mirrors, stick out too much! Snap back mirrors, on F-bodys look crap imo so I would have changed them straight back!
Old 08-23-2008, 07:29 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I'm currently investigating if the normal import-rules apply when you're actually moving between the countries, and not "just" importing the car.
I think there's special rules for this, but I might be wrong...

Thanks again
Old 08-27-2008, 07:10 PM
Teching In

Hi TA.

Here is a link with some info how you import your car to Sweden.

http://www.vv.se/templates/page3____24559.aspx
Old 09-07-2008, 08:01 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's up fellas, I'm in the military and I'm thinking of shipping my camaro to UK commercially.

Maybe anyone of you can help me on what reputable company I can use for shipment.

And lastly for the UK, I'm going to be moving there so I need to know what exactly is the extra turn signal indicators (pics would really help) and the red rear fog light??

Oh btw, I'll be shipping my DD too but the DoD will be paying for it therefore it will also need to be converted to UK specs.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:58 PM
Launching!

Hey, glad you decided to bring your Camaro with you (referring to your other thread)!

I don't know the specifics about the UK, but most of Europe is pretty much the same. Here's what's needed for Sweden at least:
* Yellow turn-signals. Front, Back and sides
* Low and high beams
* Red rear running-lights
* Red stoplights (rear, of course)
* White reverse-light
* Bright red rear fog-light (as bright as your stop-light)
* Working hazards

Afaik, many Camaros came with yellow turn-signals in the rear, so that's a problem reserved for us firebird owners..

Also, remember, in the UK, they drive on the wrong side of the road, so your headlights would need to be swapped out, as light-cone for right-hand driving is different from left-hand driving.

Also, there might be different rules for you, as you'll be moving with the car, and not just importing it. In the case of Sweden, I can get away with a lot of things when bringing back my car, as compared to the guys that import them.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:54 PM
TECH Junkie

You could also get interesting info on...

http://www.tacs.nu/

Quick Reply: European members, how did you... ?