Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Possible new LT1 owner needs advice

Old 09-14-2009, 02:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible new LT1 owner needs advice

Hey guys I've been trolling for a long time and finally signed up. I'm 19 from the suburbs of chicago.

Ive been looking into a red 97 WS6 M6 T-Tops with a mild cam, edelbrock? headers, borla cat back, short throw, 100k miles but engine rebuilt 20k ago for 6 grand.(I know alot depends on cam specs but any hp estimates?) The car is pretty much going to stay the same maybe some suspension stuff but except for in bad snow it will pretty much be my daily driver.

The car was backed into on the drivers side. The door has a good sized crack in it and between the door and wheel well is dented pretty good but it runs prefect and drives straight. My questions are pretty basic
1- Is it a good deal?
2- Are there any problems i should look out for?
3- Is the rear quarter damage fixable of does it need to be replaced? How much do you guys think it would cost?
4- More of a general question but am I really going to regret buying this car when winter rolls around? Both my school and work are only about 4 miles from my house so its not a long drive by any means. I know people that have told me good tires some weight in the back and keeping your foot out goes a long way, are they nuts?
Old 09-14-2009, 08:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They want $6k for it? You can find really clean LT1 cars for $6k that haven't ever been damaged. For $6K you could get a 90k+ mileaged LS1 car with no issues if you shop around.

I think it sold already, but here is a good example.

Last edited by camar0corey; 09-14-2009 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:12 AM
Staging Lane

I agree with a little shopping around I think you could get a little more for your money. I got a 98 Z-28 im only askin 5200 for its an auto tho. Send me a pm if your intersted Im about an hour south of Indy.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would go for an ls1 car for 6k, I bought my 93 for 3800 two years ago with 82k miles and it was in pretty good shape. It has a small cam (cc305), and full boltons with shorty headers and the borla cat back with no cat....it sounds great. Im from the south side of Chicago, its great that Illinois does not test cars anymore older than 96....so whatever I do doesn't matter.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:33 AM
On The Tree

Everyone with a high mileage car is going to claim their engine is freshly rebuilt. Make sure they have receipts or some form of proof.

Originally Posted by Dimmu_Slayer
4- More of a general question but am I really going to regret buying this car when winter rolls around? Both my school and work are only about 4 miles from my house so its not a long drive by any means. I know people that have told me good tires some weight in the back and keeping your foot out goes a long way, are they nuts?
As long as you don't try driving like you do on dry pavement, just get a set of snow tires or all seasons and you should make it through ok. I've made it home through 2 blizzards in my Trans Am, and that was before I got all seasons put on. Went sideways on me a few times off the line, but once I was going, I just took it easy and I made it to my destination. I'm not talking around the block either. First time was 10 or so miles coming home from school, the other was over 20 miles on my way to and from work.

Search this Thread