Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Bought a C5, it came with some goodies..

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a C5, it came with some goodies..

Hi Folks,
Bought my wife a vette for b’day in april. 04 coupe, A4, torch red, it’s a beauty. Took it to NJ to a wedding. Rpm seemed a little high on the interstate. When we got back to NC I looked a the car a bit closer. At the dealership nothing seemed out of the ordinary except it had a cold air sys added. She had 10 to choose from and most had some kind of c/a added. It’s a vararam. Looked at the diff. 3.73’s. Went back to the engine, WOW, AFR 205 heads. The MAF is from an 01 Z06. Apparently, no cam, no manifold and stock exhaust. Verified by National Speed. I have put 295/35’s on it. 315rwhp 324trq. Do these #’s seem low? One issue I do have is that it does not shift under wot. Just bumps the rev limiter. Let off it shifts. Don’t know what the previous owner was thinking but I’d send him a thank you note if I could find him. Have seen the flow #’s on the heads and the FAST 90/92 (is this the holy grail of intakes). Are there graphs or tables for injectors? U/D pulleys? I have been reading in several places and there are many things to learn about fine tuning an LS1. This will be the play toy ’cause there is a GT-1 Z06 in the future. The vette guys said the F-body guys were head of them in the power producing dept. so I’d like to here from the collective F-body brain trust.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:57 PM
Banned

Now that my friend!! Is a GREAT find!! The tranny not shifting at wot could be something as simple as the tune. As for hp numbers... well it sounds about where it should be for what it has!! There are several bolt ons you can do to increase hp until you get ready to put that DHRC stroker short block in LOL!!

Here are some bolt ons that would be a good "bang for the buck".....
  • Long tube Kooks headers Go ahead and get the 1 7/8 over the 1 3/4.
  • "X" pipe with or with out high flow cats
  • Powerbond under drive crank pulley
  • Kooks or Corsa exhaust
  • Cam upgrade

Last edited by KJ@DHRC; 11-15-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:19 PM
Teching In

I have heard several people mention Kooks long tubes. Basani makes an interesting set also. Regardless, it will be 1 7/8". Is the intake manifold good enough or does it need to be upgraded? Cam wise, I was thinking MS3 lift with a little less duration or does that defeat the purpose? The idea is to have a cam in place in the event that someone developes a manifold that increases flow over .575 lift with the AFR's. Is the u/d pulley 25%? Will my stock injectors support this upgrade?
Old 11-15-2009, 06:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trchredC5
Hi Folks,
She had 10 to choose from and most had some kind of c/a added. It’s a vararam. Looked at the diff. 3.73’s. Went back to the engine, WOW, AFR 205 heads. The MAF is from an 01 Z06. Apparently, no cam, no manifold and stock exhaust. Verified by National Speed. 315rwhp 324trq. brain trust.
Cold air intake and AFR 205 heads and only made 315/324. Something doesn't add up. Sounds like numbers from a stock headed A4 C5.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by trchredC5
I have heard several people mention Kooks long tubes. Basani makes an interesting set also. Regardless, it will be 1 7/8". Is the intake manifold good enough or does it need to be upgraded? Cam wise, I was thinking MS3 lift with a little less duration or does that defeat the purpose? The idea is to have a cam in place in the event that someone developes a manifold that increases flow over .575 lift with the AFR's. Is the u/d pulley 25%? Will my stock injectors support this upgrade?
Powerbond offers a 10% and a 25% underdrive. I would go ahead with the 25% no more than you plan to drive the car.
SDPC has a cam we like to use for that around town fun that has the best of both worlds. It will work great with your AFR 205's, Great driveability and an awsome power curve.

230/238 @ .050 .565/.595 lift on a 115

Intake, well I would look into the F.A.S.T. 92mm intake.

Injectors: With oyur cylinder heads, this cam and intake combo you will for sure need an injector upgrade. I would look at a 30 - 38 # injector.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:10 PM
Teching In

That's why i'm here. You guys are the smart ones with this stuff. Probably need to get a good tune on this before adding anything else to it. What other little things do I need to know about to maximize this?
Old 11-16-2009, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So the car is for your wife you said?

Since its for her, I would be looking at a retune and letting her drive it LOL.

Ssve the mods for your upcoming Z06 !
Old 11-17-2009, 07:03 PM
Teching In

My wife is all for this 'cause she can have a bad *** car for very little $$. The Z will be under warranty for a while. She will be right there turning bolts with me. I'll get a couple pics up here eventually.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on the new car, and welcome to the forum.

Like someone else said, those numbers don't seem to add up. You should definitely be making more than 315 with AFR 205s.

Also, it's beyond me why someone would do a head swap without changing the cam...
Old 11-17-2009, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

car was definitely tuned due to tranny issue...