Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Purchasing - where to begin??

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 09:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing - where to begin??

Hello all. I'm a newbie here, but have been watching the forum for some time. So, got this restored 72 chevy pu 4x4 and am now pricing and looking for a ls1 engine replacement for my worn out 350 with sm465 trans.
Been reading a lot about options and am really just looking for the easiest way to save some $$ and get a nice motor in there. So many companies selling these Ls motors, don't know where to begin. I'm just looking for some good starting points for shopping or building. I am looking for an LQ9 or iron block LS that will save me some $$ at the pump and give me some more power when I need it. Not lookin for a powerhouse, but would be nice to have at least 300hp at the wheels.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. As turn key as possible.
Thanks Chris
I want to keep the 4 speed trans.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cmabolt
Hello all. I'm a newbie here, but have been watching the forum for some time. So, got this restored 72 chevy pu 4x4 and am now pricing and looking for a ls1 engine replacement for my worn out 350 with sm465 trans.
Been reading a lot about options and am really just looking for the easiest way to save some $$ and get a nice motor in there. So many companies selling these Ls motors, don't know where to begin. I'm just looking for some good starting points for shopping or building. I am looking for an LQ9 or iron block LS that will save me some $$ at the pump and give me some more power when I need it. Not lookin for a powerhouse, but would be nice to have at least 300hp at the wheels.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. As turn key as possible.
Thanks Chris
I want to keep the 4 speed trans.
Definitely keep searching, this is a huge knowledge base.
Are you looking for a new engine, or used?
A bone stock LS1 will get you ~300RWHP, bolt ons and a tune and you are looking at ~350RWHP.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hawks third generation sells used ls1 w/ tranny for 4500the garunteed under 100k miles. Just in case you wanna go used
Old 05-14-2012, 11:01 PM
Staging Lane

go to car-part.com ive been looking around on there for awhile. around me i found an ls1 with under 100k miles for around 1800ish but an lq4 or lq9 can be had for less depending on location i found one for about 1300 with everything includeing harness.