Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!
View Poll Results: LT1 400 HP street DD in an 80 C10, played or player?
Played
0%
Player
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Another new Texas dude!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 12:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another new Texas dude!

Hey everybody! My name is John, I have been building custom cars for going on 17 years now. Live in the MidCities area of Texas, just between FtWorth and Dallas. My most recent build was an MK4 VW GTI air ride, full custom bent as hardlines throughout, all bent by me, shaved bay, tucked harness, custom interior fiberglass and plexiglas made by me. The list goes on. I love the car but don't want to push it any further. Time to get back to my roots. The dirt truck I ever built was a 1970 C10, so I put the VW project aside and am just enjoying driving it now.

I can't go without a project, but I couldn't afford a 67-72 c10, so I picked up a beater. It is a 1980 C10 short bed stepside, better known as "The Beast" it was originally a diesel until the built 305 with 700r4 combo was put together and swapped in. Everything else on the truck is bone stock and definitely worse for the wear. But again it's a project and so far I am loving it. I guess it is time now to get to the reason I am on this site. I like the truck and the 305 we built is a strong reliable motor, especially with the edelbrock cam intake combo. I like the highway manners of the overdrive in the r4 and also the shifts on the street are decent. Although I will be having a performance rebuild done on it soon. The 305 however has got to go. It just does t motivate this big heavy truck enough for my likings. Shortly after I decided it needed a heart transplant, and was planning out my LS swap. A good friend of mine told me he had a great deal on a 95 Vette LT1 with harness computer and accessories that he would let me have for a killer deal. So I jumped on it, and now I am the proud owner of a LT1 transplant for the C10.

The bonus part of the deal is that my buddy, who is an amazing builder and has been building top fuel drag motors for many years, said he will rebuild it any way I want. He really wanted this motor in my truck. All I have to do is get the big parts needed. The only drawback is he is not really familiar with the LT1 platform. So I need help cramming a lot of knowledge quickly so I can find parts and get this build going. Any links or advice y'all can give on piston/rod combos or H/C combos is much apreaciated. Oh and by the way my goal for the truck motor wise is 400 rwhp but I'm figuring I will probably end up at more like 400 fwhp, because of budget constraints. Also, I am a CAD designer/CNC machinist, so getting the block work done and rotating assembly balanced is no problem. For heads I am most likely going to take the stock ones to Lloyd Elliot, since he is local, and from what I hear one of the best. Of course I'm always open to other ideas, or cheap used heads!? Anyways thank you for reading my rant. I will figure out which section soon and start a thread asking all my engine questions, then shortly a build thread. Since y'all were so kind and read all of that, here are some pictures. Be kind it is a new project.

First the VW hanging out at work.

Now the beast!

The beast's current power plant

New heart for the beast, waiting to be torn apart and beefed up.

Disassembly started, and yes the yellow is going away.

And me on my pretty day toy.