Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New guy from NE Ohio - Kia Sorento - Ly6 swap underway

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 09:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy from NE Ohio - Kia Sorento - Ly6 swap underway

Hello,
I should mention that this is legit and not a bad joke lol. This story is real. The names have NOT been changed to protect the innocent, there is no innocent lol.
Let me give you the whole story...

<Scooby Doo flash back fade out>

I have had my Sorento since 2008. I bought it with 7,000 miles on it. For a long time it has been making a ton of noise every time i started it. One more then one occasion we took it to the dealer and mentioned the noise... It was fluffed off by my dirtbag dealership as the TSB for normal valve train noise.
Well about a month ago that noise turned bad. The timing chain slipped enough to cause a check engine light. My dealership refused to help because my Sorento was out of warranty (80,000 miles).
I replaced all the timing system myself and spent good money doing it... The passenger side bank shredded the chain guides down to and through to aluminum. I replaced everythingi including the front engine cover which was horridly sawn on by the chain.
She ran AMAZING for 2 days... then my wife called and said it started running funny, then she shut it off. Well, after thinking that maybe something happened again in the timing system I tore it down again. Well... I found something in my intake manifold that does NOT belong there... The piston. Well, parts of it. #1 let go, somehow.

</Scooby Doo flash back fade out>

So now what?

I have begun tearing out the engine and have started shopping... I looked into a replacement 3.8L Kia engine but all the local ones have similar miles, not going there again!!
So I am doing something I have never seen online before yet... A LSx swap. The LSx has gone into everything from a Honda Civic to Ford Rangers... I am going to see what it will do for a Kia Sorento... Might just prove to be a Trail Blazer SS killer... LOL! (Nothing but love for the TBSS guys, maybe a little jealousy though)

I should mention that I am no stranger to crazy swaps... I have a 4x4 Geo Metro, I have built 2 V8 Pontiac Fieros', and 2 Supercharged 3800 series II ones. One was converted to OBDI the other left OBDII.

I was going for Ls1 until a friend mentioned the ly6. They are CHEAPER here then the Ls1. Not sure how that logic works but I'll take it. Lol

So right now I'm in the market for the engine and will buy as soon as next weekend.

<Flame-On> lol
Old 12-07-2013, 09:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Hah, this should be awesome. Be sure to make provisions for a turbo later Any pics of the 4wd geo?
Old 12-07-2013, 10:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeshow
Hah, this should be awesome. Be sure to make provisions for a turbo later Any pics of the 4wd geo?
Yes. Lots. Will post some when i get home.

Video in YouTube too. Search "4x4 metro creek"

That thing is a whole story on its own haha

Quick Reply: New guy from NE Ohio - Kia Sorento - Ly6 swap underway