Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

"New" Girl In Town

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 11:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking "New" Girl In Town

Hello! I'm Kimberly, a long time lurker of the forums and first time poster because now I actually have an ls1 to join in on the fun with! I've got a '68 Firebird that I've owned for 5 years, but always knew I wanted to LS swap it. Just this past weekend, one of my best friends who's helping me with the build drove out to Louisville, KY to go pick up an '02 z28 Camaro convertible with 42k miles to use as our donor car. It was hit on the passenger side quarter panel (that we since pulled and is very fixable), and we thought we'd part out the car but honestly after giving it a more thorough look over, it's really a shame to part this car out, but it's too good of a motor and trans not to swap especially for the price we got it for.

I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions, I've been researching this swap for years, and been a part of others' swap, but finally excited to do mine! So yes, best part-- pictures!

Thanks everyone, looking forward to getting to know you guys!
Old 04-29-2014, 07:11 AM
On The Tree

good luck with the build! solid platform on that 68, also a good year, have fun with it and welcome!

any plans to build the LS going in the 68?
Old 04-29-2014, 03:04 PM
Teching In

Thank you! Yes, the '68 is quite solid, has the typical rot around where GM put that foam filler back in the '60s allowed for a lot of moisture and the areas around the wheel lip and in other typical places, but got our panels to make patches from, just gotta get the paint stripped and see where that leaves us.

Well, I do have plans for the LS, typical fun stuff like cam and headers and all that goes with it, but that's coming a bit later (after the bodywork and swapping the motor & trans over, new harness, potentially oil pan, the mods to the drive shaft, new rear end, wheels & tires since my new retrofitted brakes don't allow for "14s anymore), when all is said and done I just won't have room to afford it short term. But, yes those things are definitely in mind along with steering upgrades beyond just the quick ratio box i have and suspension upgrades.

I love how this all spiraled into doing this swap this summer, when all I intended was to take it down to my buddy's shop to get the floors repaired and my Pontiac's rear main seal replaced. I knew I wanted an LS, and this just was the perfect time to do it since because really, why put any money into a motor that I plan to use the block as coffee table for my office when all is said and done? Haha.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love seeing old Firebirds, to many people want to put Camaro front clips on them. Be careful it gets out of control FAST!
Old 04-29-2014, 05:56 PM
Teching In

This car definitely is keeping its firebird front end. I hate when people do that -- it doesn't make sense to me. Don't get me wrong, the camaro front end is nice, but i mean so is the firebird's.

Yeah, that's why we're only doing the essentials right now Would LOVE to do the suspensions and everything, but stock ones with new bushings are going back on until that project comes haha.

Quick Reply: "New" Girl In Town