Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

'98 S-10 2.2/4.8 Swap...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 11:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '98 S-10 2.2/4.8 Swap...

Hey guys,

New to this forum as a member, but I've spent many hours browsing through post on here and gotten a lot of good info...thanks!

Jumping into my first swap project with a 4.8l truck motor from a donor 99 1500...
Any help or suggestions on this motor and how to get it running smooth, powerful and efficient...please let me know!
Old 03-21-2015, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome! Go to the Hybrids and Conversions section. Read all "stickies" at the top of the page and always use the search function. You'll find what you need.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome, read through my thread in my sig, it will give you some things to think about.

Are you going to stay fuel injected? headers? engine mods? how much money do you want to spend?
Old 03-21-2015, 08:37 PM
Teching In

Thanks JosephIV- Iwill look into the sticky's!

Thanks Bowtie316! I actually pulled up your thread on my very 1st google search and it is what led me to this forum!

I've actually made a slight change since last posting...I ran across a super sweet deal on a 4wd blazer I went to look at for parts and decided to make it my build instead..

My brother in law is going to build a 2x3 boxed frame( because i want it to be a 2wd) to stick the blazer body onto now and the 4.8 will be goin' into it instead now...

I don't have tons of money, in actuality...I have none, lol, I'm doing all this on a budget created by buying and selling parts vehicles after my wife gave me $500 initially to play with...

I bought a kit with shorty headers, motor mounts, frame mounts, and exhaust flanges from ( www.S10V8.com )

-a new water pump(2007 model)
-new oil pump
-new gasket kit

I've also picked up a set of Black C6 corvette wheels and spacers...

I'm planning on picking up an LS1 or LS6 intake to swap out the truck manifold, but they aren't cheap so that might have to wait for a while. Also, i have to figure out the trans situation, i have a good 4wd unit, and a blown 2wd unit...I need the 2wd unit,lol!
Old 03-22-2015, 07:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you are going to use corvette wheels, the 4wd chassis is perfect. I had already decided that if I did another for a driver it would start as a 4wd. You won't have to use spacers because the 4wd were wider and had the correct spacing for the corvette wheels already. I don't see the point in building a frame.

As for the trans, you might be able to find a trans shop that will swap the good internals from the 4wd to the 2wd for fairly cheap, or there might be somebody out there willing to trade, put an ad up on craigslist.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:10 AM
Teching In

Default Dropping the 4wd chassis?

What about lowering and converting the front suspension to 2wd?

That's was the concern? Isn't it a torsion bar system? I know it would ride like crap if I just slam out the torsion bars, and I'm looking for a smooth ride...also. The 4wd blazer frame is taller/thicker that the S-10 frame, might cause clearance issues when lowered down??

I saw in another thread on here that someone else took basically my same situation to a local shop, the shop gave them $$ + changed out there tails hafts and housings and put in new clutch packs to boot for them I think...I'm gonna try that route and see what happens...?
Old 03-22-2015, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well it depends on how low you want to go I guess. I think the standard 3/3 drop is pretty simple. Torsion keys and re-alignment in front, blocks for rear.

See this THREAD on another forum, post 45 and 47 look good.

Quick Reply: '98 S-10 2.2/4.8 Swap...