Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Gen II to gen V lt1 conversion

Old 08-14-2016, 08:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gen II to gen V lt1 conversion

Hello: I am first owner of a 96 Roadmaster and after all these years it is still in great condition. When the new gen v lt1 came out I thought it would be appropriate to upgrade the gen II to the gen v. I bought a new crate engine over a year ago with high hopes It would come close to fitting into the chassis. WRONG!! The stock oil pan is not even close to fitting. I think there is an aftermarket pan coming soon. Also no provision for power steering, but Kwik Performance has designed a front accessory kit that I am looking into. Matter of fact most everything on the gen v is different than the old lt1 and ls. We are solving the problems one at a time and hope to have it running this year. Yeh, I know it is a 4 door barge, but the gen v ought to make it more of a speed boat.
Attached Thumbnails Gen II to gen V lt1 conversion-roadmaster-build-020.jpg  
Old 04-12-2017, 01:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GENVRDMSTR
Hello: I am first owner of a 96 Roadmaster and after all these years it is still in great condition. When the new gen v lt1 came out I thought it would be appropriate to upgrade the gen II to the gen v. I bought a new crate engine over a year ago with high hopes It would come close to fitting into the chassis. WRONG!! The stock oil pan is not even close to fitting. I think there is an aftermarket pan coming soon. Also no provision for power steering, but Kwik Performance has designed a front accessory kit that I am looking into. Matter of fact most everything on the gen v is different than the old lt1 and ls. We are solving the problems one at a time and hope to have it running this year. Yeh, I know it is a 4 door barge, but the gen v ought to make it more of a speed boat.
Any updates?
Old 04-12-2017, 11:28 AM
Teching In

Default Roadmaster GenV

I finally received a Moroso pan around Christmas and the engine is in the chassis. The project is on hold because I snowbird to Florida. I am anxious to get back to it. Lots to do and more problems to solve.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I finally received a Moroso pan around Christmas and the engine is in the chassis. The project is on hold because I snowbird to Florida. I am anxious to get back to it. Lots to do and more problems to solve.
Make sure to update your thread as you go along. Very interesting to see someone putting an LT1 in a B-Body. What was the part # on the oil pan?
Old 04-12-2017, 01:15 PM
Teching In

The Moroso part # is 20155. I see Jeg's is carrying it. It is very expensive. I guess it is labor intensive to build. Since I got the Moroso pan I see that Holly has come out with a pan # 302-20 designed more for the older Camaro. It is all cast and more like OEM. Not sure if you can get all the clearance you need in a B body. It is a lot less expensive and might be the way to go.
Old 11-19-2020, 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

What happened with this?
Old 11-20-2020, 09:13 AM
Teching In

Default 96 Buick Roadmaster Gen V update.

Originally Posted by slowpoke96z28
What happened with this?
It has been up and running since 2017. The Moroso pan worked out in the B body. The roadmaster with the LT1 has been an eye catcher at car shows. I couldn't leave good alone and I put in a head- cam package which leads to tuning issues that are slowly being resolved, but it has a nice lope and runs like a bear.
Old 04-01-2021, 08:43 PM
Teching In

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

It has been up and running since 2017. The Moroso pan worked out in the B body...
What did you do about the new LT1's lack of PS pump?
Old 04-02-2021, 08:33 AM
Teching In

I used a bracket kit for the power steering and a/c. from Kwik Performance. The kit keeps the a/c low on the passenger side and power steering low on the drivers side.
It uses the original water pump and alternator, so I didn't have the expense of replacing the whole front accessory drive.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gen II to gen V lt1 conversion