Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

'05 CTS-V lurker

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 08:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 CTS-V lurker

Earlier this year I purchased an '05 CTS-V. I knew several of their larger faults before purchasing, but it was the only acceptable vehicle in that price range for me. I also have a wee one I transport at times. It is largely driven to and from work, and occasionally on shorter trips of a couple hours at most.

The car definitely has some of the issues everyone else has had to deal with. I plan on using this site, as well as others, to go through and make it into what I think this car should be. As it stands, I am just going to start with bushings and upgrading things that need maintenance anyway. Purchased with 82K miles on it and the factory Nav system removed, but included.

So far money to actually accomplish anything has been tight this year due to the volatility of the oil and gas industry. Some may wonder why, but I sold a '14 Accord to buy this car. But that car was just not me. A great reliable family mover, but that was all. I have loved the caddy since day one. Even with its shortcomings, design and otherwise.

I am going to order creative steel mounts and bushings soon. The 100k service is nearing as well. With work being steadier, I hope to make a few other upgrades this year, but I have yet to decide which. I will also be looking to find a local tuner at some point.

Hopefully things will go well and I can be one of the ones who doesn't have to deal with the rear diff issues before I am ready. I have been loving the power, shifting myself (biggest issue with the Accord), and the sound (also came with muffler deletes). My wife does not appreciate the car, but my son loves it.

I have had a colorful history when it comes to vehicles, but this is my first experience with an LS. Had a couple 1500's with 4.3 v6's early on, an 80's diesel Volvo, a '94 Accord, a '95 240SX, and an '07 Mustang GT. Sold the Mustang due to downturn at work and purchased an '89 1500 reg cab swb with a cammed 350 with Vortec heads and TPI. After that I bought a '91 Miata. Drove that for 5 years. Sold it about a year before the last Accord was sold. Also had a 94 5.0 Mustang, and a '14 Focus ST before the last Accord, still intermittently driving the Miata.

It has been a long disjointed search for a V8 rwd sedan with a stick. 1st gen CTS-V's were the only thing I have come across that I would trust to service myself that fit those criteria and didn't cost an arm and a leg. Hopefully it won't cost me too much to keep it going until I get the reliability handled.

Almost forgot with all the rambling, I have already put in the Hurst shifter from Brian.

Quick Reply: '05 CTS-V lurker