Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

First turbo lq4 build

Old 01-04-2017, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First turbo lq4 build

Hi guys, new here to the LS world, converted from Ford.
Just picked up a lq4 short block with internals.
Decided to start a turbo build. and picking up lq4 heads (planning to port and polish) as well as an LS6 intake (p&p as well).
On a 5k budget for the motor build, what are some LS options to run 6-800 horse? (I don't want anything crazy, just want it done right and need the LS gurus to help)
thanks!
Old 01-04-2017, 10:23 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

5K budget?

You could use that LQ4 shortblock with unported heads and unported intake and make 6-800 HP.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:26 AM

Really!? Well that saves me about... well a ton. Cause I can get the stock heads for $150. Stock intake for nothing. (But I'm getting a ls1 and ls6 intake for $150 so why not use one?)

Originally Posted by JoeNova
5K budget?

You could use that LQ4 shortblock with unported heads and unported intake and make 6-800 HP.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:43 AM
Restricted User

I guess it depends on what you're swapping it in and what you're planning on doing with it.

Stock unported 317 heads have been 7s, so has a stock LS1 intake.
Then again, a stock truck intake is basically free everywhere and has also been 7s in a stock displacement 6.0. The truck intakes make the same power as the LS6 intake with more low end and part throttle torque. The car intakes were designed with hood clearance in mind so it does have to give up runner length and plenum volume.

Aftermarket intakes and heads with boost are pretty much a crap shoot. You might make more power on less boost, but in all reality your engine doesn't care how much boost it sees so the stress level between the 2 on the short block is exactly the same.

Put it together, get a box-stock S475, and it'll make 600 HP on mild boost. Throw in a small cam if you want to stop power from falling off so early.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:22 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Zach Swain,

If you're looking to have any head work done, we can most definitely take care of you on your build. Can spec you a boost cam as well if interested, all well within your budget.

If you don't mind us asking, what are you dropping this setup into? Welcome to the LS world!

-Russ
Old 01-05-2017, 11:52 AM

I have a stock lq4 long block now, should I go send it in to get new rings, bearings, resurface the crank? Get a turbo cam kit, , get everything set up, and then a bigger pump. What else should I look into for the block before the boost comes in? I also have a stock pcm.

QUOTE=Frankenstein;19496010]Zach Swain,

If you're looking to have any head work done, we can most definitely take care of you on your build. Can spec you a boost cam as well if interested, all well within your budget.

If you don't mind us asking, what are you dropping this setup into? Welcome to the LS world!

-Russ[/QUOTE]
Old 01-05-2017, 12:09 PM
Restricted User

If there was nothing wrong with the bearings before, I don't see any reason to start cutting the crank.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by JoeNova
If there was nothing wrong with the bearings before, I don't see any reason to start cutting the crank.

Idk the mileage from this long block. It's more of an insurance policy rather then spinning a bearing at 6k Rpms on the 3rd run.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First turbo lq4 build