Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Hello from the Chicagoland Suburbs

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 10:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello from the Chicagoland Suburbs

Have been with and with out nice cars, but have always had "hot rod" blood running through my veins.
My hopes for joining the forum is to help with a long term project I am formulating now which will work in concert with my later age and possible projected future retirement.
My thought are currently evolving around an LS1 powered old school muscle car (possibly early Chevelle, 68-72 Nova or even a full-body mid 60s Impala).
The basis of my build will be strictly on a budget.
I am contemplating an iron block 5.3 LS1 with stock internals probably fuel injected or possibly turbocharged (single). I am targeting the higher 400 hp area and the genesis of this build will be budget, reliability, check the oil, gas and go..... (I am actually very meticulous....especially around high performance stuff).
Behind the LS, I am considering a 4L80 with mid-to higher 3 series gearing and of course on the street, it has to have some "nastiness".....
I work at a Chevrolet dealership, so I have a resourceful advantage for parts, hands-on skill and knowledge.
I hope I can learn from the group and at a point in time, contribute as well.
Thanks for having me....
Old 04-21-2017, 12:41 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Welcome, neighbor.

We have a very active conversions section for folks such as yourself, putting Gen III+ SBCs into various other vehicles (including those you've mentioned above.) Sounds like you have a pretty good idea of the sort of build you want.

As I'm sure you're aware, the platforms you've listed above are not usually what come to mind when I think of a "budget" build - they can be pretty expensive even for a decent roller. If budget is a primary concern, you might also consider a swap into a later '78-'88 A/G-body as those tend to be much cheaper and are also common swap projects with lots of build options and relatively low vehicle weight. I don't often see decent early Chevelles, 3rd gen Novas or '60s B-bodies for particularly cheap in our region (unless you want a moordoor) but I very much like those cars as well so I understand the draw.

In fact, this just reminded me of a recent thread posted by a member that began a Nova swap project but then decided to sell. Perhaps the pictures and discussion within might be of interest to you:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/what-wort...5-3-4l60e.html
Old 04-21-2017, 08:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning Stages

Hi RPM WS6,
That RPO code tells me a "F" body Pontiac is prowling the streets...lol. Personally I was born and raised on Pontiacs.
I drove Pontiacs during the heydays of the very late 60s - early 70s and street raced (other production cars) 6 nights a week in my Pontiac "F" body and backed down from no one.
In reference to my post...yes I am aware of the costs involved in those select models and select years and I am not really a four-door type of guy. "Roller" selection will be something down the road.
For right now I am going to focus on the engine. I want to start a thread (yes another best combo for a 5.3 thread....), but I have read others and the more I read the more I get confused with the myraid of combinations. What combination works for someone else may not necessarily work for me.
I hope to hear back from you ...
Thanks for the response.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:48 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

I actually sold my WS6 13 years ago, I've had a few Pontiacs but have mostly been a Chevy guy. Still have my '98 Z28 and '71 Nova though.

I don't have much advice to offer on a budget turbo 5.3L build, I've never put something like that together myself nor personally been involved in such a build with anyone else. My Gen III experience has been with the 5.7L engines and NA heads/cam builds, as well as a Procharger build that I helped a friend do (though that was about 15 years ago, so a lot has changed regarding available options for forced induction parts and tuning.)

I did get your PM about the Nova. Not too many Granny straight-six 3rd gen Nova coupes left to be found, even less in this area. I'm sure they are still out there, might take some traveling to find though. Most of the nice ones have been scooped up and turned into nicely restored SS clones or race cars, I can't remember the last time I saw a stock one with a base engine and in decent condition. Most folks know the value of these cars now, so finding a steal is a challenge. On the other hand, you can still find really nice G-body coupes for super cheap with a little looking. In 2011 we found an '83 Cutlass roller (original 3.8L V6) with a super solid body, no damage, decent paint and good interior (complete minus carpet) - it was only $1200. This was for a 455ci swap, but it could have been a 5.3L turbo build just the same. Those cars are light (weighed under 3400lbs even with an iron block/iron heads 455) and affordable, and plenty of folks have done Gen III+ swaps on them. But, if your heart is set on '60s muscle/full-sized, then I totally understand. I love those too, all my top favorite cars were built between 1966-72, they just aren't cheap.

Good luck with your search, I do wish you the best of luck.

Quick Reply: Hello from the Chicagoland Suburbs