Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New to forum, old to engine swaps...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 12:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to forum, old to engine swaps...

Hello everybody (that takes the time and effort to read this...)!

I'm presently about one-third to halfway through swapping a new LS3 crate engine (including all accessories with E-rod package: alt/pwr str, a/c & associated mounts and drive, plus PCM, dbw throttle pedal & harness) along with a T56 Magnum xmsn (inc. clutch/flywheel, bellhousing and hdwr). I'm building this up for the original owner of a 220k-mile '98 BMW M3 (a popular chassis for these very swap-able aluminum V8s).

I already have some exposure, by way of working dolling up the LS2/T56 (ex GTO) swapped into a '94 BMW 325i (the OBD1 4-door version of the '98 M3 above). The engine had already been swapped in, exhaust headers made/connected and in running condition when I got it, but it was far from being a completed swap. I suspect that once its builder got it fired up, they lost interest in it, and languished until my client bought the car.

To be clear, I'm not here on this web-forum to sell ANYTHING, I'm only here to learn! I'll consider the '94/LS2 swap to be dipping my toes in the wading pond, while taking on the '98/LS3 crate-job was akin to jumping into the deep-end of an Olympic-sized pool

Here's a representative shot of each car, just so you know I'm not completely full of BS. Here's to hoping that I can find the answers to all my problems__even ones that I don't yet know I have__here among these threads!

The '94 325i/LS2 swap, as received:

Link to build album: http://spcarsplus.com/gallery3/index.php/FW_325i_LS2

The '98 M3/LS3 crate engine during a trial engine fit:

Link to build album: http://spcarsplus.com/gallery3/index.php/M3-w-LS3
Old 11-02-2017, 07:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 463 Likes on 349 Posts

Those are/gonna be fun Randy! Good luck with the process - spent Sept '15-Sept '16 removing the Ford 5.0L from my 82 Volvo and replacing it with a new crate LS3 (non-Erod version). What a difference!

Oh - and your pic links no workee for me --- the 'buffering' wheel of death just spins and spins....
Old 11-06-2017, 02:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

You need to post this in "Conversions and Hybrid"Forum here, lotsa swap info lives there..Welcome to the fray

Quick Reply: New to forum, old to engine swaps...