Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Fng

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 12:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fng

Hey guys. Sorry in advance for noobish questions. There's a ton of info and I didn't know where to start reading.

Anyways, I just sold my 2nd gen Mazdaspeed3 that was FBO and E85, so I could get into trouble with a turbo v8. Figured it had potential to go faster, but with lack of traction and reliability being inevitable, why not sell it and get something with more potential and that I would keep long term. It was time to get rid of it before the past caught up with it, and it was still worth money. So, I did some home work on what I sort of wanted and began searching, but quickly found a car sooner than I expected. Now, I feel a little lost with what I should be immediately doing next, if you guys could help I'd appreciate it. It's my first LS powered, and V8 car in general. I have some friends with LS powered cars (turbo fox swap, c6 GS, CTS-V etc), but they don't know the answers to some of the specifics to the model.

In steps 98 TA WS6; a dream car of mine. Just picked it up yesterday. It's already LQ4 swapped, semi- built T56 and 12 bolt rear with moser axles. Clutch is upgraded, slave is upgraded. Ls6 cam/springs/intake mani. Basically everything is done for me except fuel system and the turbo itself. He even had all the gauges hooked up and functional. More things than I can list. I've heard the LS6 cam is a good boost cam, however, 1 of my favorite things about the LS is chop. My only ricer weakness. I didn't want to go insane, so I was going to do the Sloppy Stage 2 cam and upgrade BTR valve springs. From what I can see on the aeroforce, the car needs a tune; the LTFTs are at 12 when cruising.

So I was going to order the cam and valve springs soon, and then immediately correct the tune, but what else should I be doing/buying? Should I decap or buy injectors and a pump now? Can the stock fuel system support everything with the cam on 93 and E85? I wanted to learn how to drive the car as is before switching to boost. Sorry, I don't know a lot. Probably just enough to **** you guys off with half-stupid questions. lol

Last edited by turdnugget; 08-13-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:58 PM
Teching In

Good talk...

Maybe needed a TL;DR in there... lol
Old 08-15-2018, 01:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

You want a cam with minimal overlap for a 6 speed street car that you plan to turbo. Alot of people like the triple 12 cams, or anything along the lines of the TR224 family or the sloppy cams. 60lb injectors if 93 octane or 80lb injectors if E85. Walbro 450 and a hotwire kit and fuel system is good to 700whp or more. You already have a built stick and rear so as long as the clutch will handle the power youre in good shape besides the turbo kit itself with fans and gauges and stuff.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:11 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ddnspider
You want a cam with minimal overlap for a 6 speed street car that you plan to turbo. Alot of people like the triple 12 cams, or anything along the lines of the TR224 family or the sloppy cams. 60lb injectors if 93 octane or 80lb injectors if E85. Walbro 450 and a hotwire kit and fuel system is good to 700whp or more. You already have a built stick and rear so as long as the clutch will handle the power youre in good shape besides the turbo kit itself with fans and gauges and stuff.
If I'm planning to run cam only for a little while should I invest in the fuel system now to run an E85 tune? It may be a little while before I do the turbo install, and my friend is my tuner so it's not an issue with paying someone for another revision. The clutch is an LS7 clutch kit. Gauges are actually already installed. But yeah, I need the fans, turbo kit and to either do the fuel system now or later. I just didn't know if I was going to struggle on stock fuel for now. I have not heard of the triple 12. I'll check that out.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

I wouldn't bother with e85 now. Save it for the turbo unless it's max effort.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:56 AM
Teching In

Yeah, it's just super prevalent around here. I have 4 stations within 5 minutes of my work. But, I don't necessarily miss being married to them. lol