Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Hello from Central KY

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 08:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello from Central KY

New to the forum here, but certainly not a stranger to car forums and turning a wrench. Wasn't really looking for one, but stumbled on a 1999 Pontiac TransAm for what seemed to be to good of a deal. Went and looked, and ended up bringing it home.

About me, located not far outside of Lexington KY. I work as an Automation Engineer, out of my house roughly half the time, and on the road traveling to company locations half the time. As I spend the majority of my day buried behind a computer screen, I can usually be found in my garage tinkering on something, or riding my Harley outside of work hours.

About the car... I've not had a chance to completely go over (and under) it with a fine tooth comb yet. 1999 Pontiac TransAm (LS1), Automatic. Motor runs out strong, zero hesitation. Transmission has a tendency to shift really hard out of first, but smooths out once it warms up. Front end doesn't feel "tight", and have some clunking going on in the rear end. All that said, it honestly drives and rides good, just needs a bit of TLC. Has had the EGR deleted, is running Hooker long tube headers to a merge collector (no cat, no muffler... yet). Nothing seems to leak, burn, smoke, and everything "works".

My goals, to get the car back to "right". Don't have any intentions of going crazy modifying the car. Just want to keep it clean, functional, and maintained.

I've already done some nickel and dime stuff...
  • Hatch struts were completely blown out, got those replaced
  • Front turn signal housings were cracked + full of water. Replaced housings and soldered in new bulb sockets.
  • Replaced a failed headlight motor, looked like someone had previously disassembled to "rotate the gear", and in doing so, didn't seal it, causing an intermittent short.
  • Updated fog light, interior, and reverse bulbs to LED
  • Ordered Hella sealed projectors + adapter plate + HID kit for low beam headlights. Other cars have me spoiled, I need to see at night. Should be installed tomorrow.
  • Will be going to an exhaust shop later this week to come up with something to quiet it down a little bit. I don't want it "stock quiet", but I don't need to keep running effectively open headers around town.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

Nice car! My 1999 Ta is also pewter and I love the color.