LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Introductions & Greetings (https://ls1tech.com/forums/introductions-greetings-83/)
-   -   LSX Gen5 New to DFW TX. (https://ls1tech.com/forums/introductions-greetings/1909701-lsx-gen5-new-dfw-tx.html)

Vanishing Point 11-03-2018 10:43 PM

LSX Gen5 New to DFW TX.

Hi Y’all (working on the conversion)
I’m a Michigan transplant. I hope to hear some friendly advice about finding a good tuner shop in the area, maybe finding a “helpful” shop to assure I pass inspection (we didn’t have to worry about them in the mitten), and get informed about local functions. Also after the car came off closed carrier, I have an unusual issue. The tranny is locked in park until the engine heats up. Once warmed the locks go up and down then the shifter is released. Weird. Anyone familiar with this issue? I know I came in right off the bat being awfully needy. Sorry. I know nobody here.
Thanks,
VP
2011 Camaro SS
LSX 409
Jake’s Stage 5 4L80E

JC316 11-04-2018 01:01 AM

Damned yankee. True Street Motorsports for the tuner. Pretty much anywhere on division street in Arlington should be friendly. Can't help you with the trans, that's a weird one.

Vanishing Point 11-04-2018 11:00 AM

JC,
No, Ted Nugent (Damn Yankees) was about 35 miles east of me. Like I said, I know nobody in DFW so I really appreciate the info. Engine was built and tuning, etc, by Baker Engineering in Michigan. That’s with TJ Grimes who tunes Dave Adkins cars. So I really need a good tuner to continue what I’ve got going, and grow from here. I’m not afraid to drive or occasionally tow as the case may be in the future anywhere in the area. Location is nowhere near as important as ability and service levels. That said, I’m in Rowlett for now so McKinney is not too bad for me. Closer than Baker was from me where I lived in MI. I was looking through other threads and saw some people recommend Karger. Care to compare and contrast the two?

I will certainly take a cruise down Division. It’s crazy I can put so much money and effort into a car, then move to TX and not be able to drive it. There are no inspections in MI. Damned Nanny State! I thought red states were supposed to stand for less government...

VP

Vanishing Point 11-07-2018 01:06 PM

JC (just writing this now made me realize you are a God),

Just wanted to thank you for the referral to True Street. Stopped in yesterday and was impressed. Already have some work scheduled. Good guys and obviously know their shit. That can be a huge thing to get started with the right people. So a very sincere Thank you.

VP

JC316 11-08-2018 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point (Post 19996756)
I will certainly take a cruise down Division. It’s crazy I can put so much money and effort into a car, then move to TX and not be able to drive it. There are no inspections in MI. Damned Nanny State! I thought red states were supposed to stand for less government...
VP

The emissions were forced on us by the feds due to the horrible air quality around the major cities. My stupid county didn't have to join in, but they did anyway.

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point (Post 19998434)
JC (just writing this now made me realize you are a God),

Just wanted to thank you for the referral to True Street. Stopped in yesterday and was impressed. Already have some work scheduled. Good guys and obviously know their shit. That can be a huge thing to get started with the right people. So a very sincere Thank you.

VP

Lol, I get that a lot, my name is Jason. No problem man, I know how much it sucks trying to find a decent shop.

Dimeomboost 11-08-2018 11:38 AM

True street is a great place I have a 5th gen and I'm an hour and change down I30 east of dfw so maybe u aren't to far away. I'm near greenville texas
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...29211ebaeb.jpg

Vanishing Point 11-08-2018 05:40 PM

Dime,
I’m in Rowlett, so I guess we’re on the same side of the traffic jams. That makes the distance less if we were to meet up for a cruise or something. Very nice. Great balance of red and black. I’m like a black hole. No light escapes from the darkness.
http://www.bakerengineeringinc.com/P...CoolCamaro.pdf

First of all he got the year wrong, it’s a 2011, not 2012 as listed. Second, we’ve done some work since then so the power is up some.

I have to wonder what you’ve got that’s swelled your hood like that? I bet it’s not a benign growth...

-Jim

Dimeomboost 11-08-2018 06:04 PM

This one is the wifes for cruising on the weekends just a small blower nothing crazy north of 600 but at this weight that's nothing to get excited about
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...301464410c.jpg
This is my street truck again nothing crazy but its fun we go to.ennis track some but ferris has xtreme raceway park its a new track and its awesome. To bad redline is closed your only a few miles from that track

Vanishing Point 11-08-2018 07:17 PM

Nice. Gotta love a woman who likes speed. My wife is terrified to drive mine. Probably justified. She’s never been a great driver. Fear would just make it worse. She likes to ride though. Do you think any of the local tracks would let me run? All of the tracks in MI would not. Once you hit a certain level of power they would require a roll cage for liability reasons. I’m not caging a convertible. Still I wouldn’t mind occasionally just watching even if I’m not permitted to run.

Dimeomboost 11-08-2018 09:00 PM

I've been 6s no cage no nothing they didnt say anything and none of mine are caged or anything more than factory interior

Vanishing Point 11-09-2018 02:48 PM

Now there’s the Wild West I was hoping for!

I’ve still got to get codes cleared, TX plates, and some things wrapped up. Hell, I’m buried in boxes. But once my dust settles I hope we could get together at a track sometime.