LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

Maryland Speed, Bad Experience

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maryland Speed, Bad Experience

Sunday, 3/20/11 - I find brake fluid leaking from my driver's front caliper line.

Monday, 3/21/11 - Order a set of stainless steel lines for my car through Maryland Speed. They were on sale with free shipping, couldn't beat that offer anywhere else. Order placed around mid-day, receive "pending" status e-mail.

Thursday, 3/24/11 - Order is in pending status (for 3 days still?!?) so I send an e-mail to customer service. This is the response I get:

"All of our suppliers were out of stock on this so we had to have it special ordered direct from Earl's. We were not made aware of any delays with them shipping this. I have sent an inquiry for tracking on your order and will forward it as soon as I have it. Sometimes with special orders the customer receives the part before we receive the tracking/shipping information."

Friday, 3/25/11 - I get this e-mail: (names are starred out)

"****, I just received the following in an email from our supplier who special ordered this for us:

Hey ***,
I just called to get tracking info and was told the order had been canceled. Apparently that part number has been discontinued, but someone there forgot to let us know when the order was placed.

Thanks,

-****-

I apologize that we are unable to acquire this part for you. I am canceling your order and refunding your credit card. We have removed this part from our website."

Communication ended from there. I'm not mad that the part is discontinued, I'm not mad that whoever the supplier is had no idea the part was discontinued, I'm mad at the fact I didn't get an alternate part, a discount on a similar item, or some great offer to keep me as a customer.

It pains me that I wasted an entire week waiting on a brake line that I need and now I don't have it. Money being refunded is a great thing, except when you tried buying something that you NEEDED. I am still out of a brake line and am unsure of where to shop next. I tried an LS1Tech sponsor, because why support Auto Zone/Advance Auto Parts when something after-market and better is available cheaper through a sponsor anyways?

I've only made 2 orders through Maryland Speed. The first being my SLP lid, and now this set of brake lines that will never show up.

Sorry Maryland Speed, but if all you can do is simply refund money and call it quits on an order and a customer, I'll take my business somewhere else.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:00 PM
Banned

Hello,
First off, I am sorry we could not get the part. As stated, the part was discontinued and we simply cannot get it. We buy from a network of suppliers, and no one had it, so we special ordered the part direct from Earls. Then when we special ordered the part, Earl's came back with that it was discontinued. We don't get bullitens from manufactuers on discontinued parts, so we have no way of knowing it is cancelled untill we try and order it. We could not get the part, so we gave you your money back.

Just for the sake of the truth, your order did not sit in pending for 3 day until Thursday. If you log in, and check your order statuses, you will see we updated it pending to processing, with a message of it shipping in 24-48 days on the 21st (same day you ordered). That is the day we special ordered it.

As for why we issued a refund with no negotiation...on Thursday, you sent us the below email-

Order 39112 is still processing. Payment has been deducted from my bank account. Item has not shipped, order placed on Monday, March 21. Would like to know status of order. If package is not shipped by close of business today, would like a refund.
I guess what I am getting at is that I am not really sure what we did wrong here? You ordered a part that we could not get because it was discontinued (which unfortunatly can happen to any vendor here). That sucks..but we really have no control over it. You told us in an email on Thursday that if it was not shipped by Thurday, you wanted your money back. We called the supplier Friday morning to see if it had shipped Thursday, and they said it was discontinued, so we refunded you. It's not "calling it quits", it's called not holding your money and issuing the refund you asked for? If you wanted information on another part, or a discount, you are free to contact us for that or reply to one of our emails. We did not try and suggest other parts because your email asked for a refund.

I personally have ordered from other parts stores myself online, and have had stuff not even be discontinued, just backordered, and they cancelled the order, and gave me my money back without asking. There was no negotiation over other parts or anything...yet I did not feel like they were "giving up on me"...or go on message boards complaining about them. When you run a good sized business, you just have procedures on how things are done. If you would have emailed us back, we would have been glad to help you find another part or provide whatever support you needed. We did reply to every email you sent promptly. We want our customers to be happy..and honestly this is the first time this procedure has been an issue...or a customer felt put out over it.

Last edited by MarylandSpeed; 03-27-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

I guess what I was looking for was something down the lines of...

"Part X you ordered is not in stock, but part Y is comparable and does the same thing. Part Y is a little more expensive, but we'll cut you a deal and send it out right away. Part Y will reach your house before the refund to Part X gets credited to your bank account. Which would you like?"

I do know that I asked for a refund, but for the sake of business, isn't your 2 goals to 1 please the customer, and 2 always accept the customer's money? You guys are the businessmen, not me. Breaking things down barney-style sometimes helps. I knew if I asked for a refund my money would be tied up for another 3-5 business days just for it to clear, that would have been an awesome selling point on a comparable item, saying it could be at my house before a refund would shop up in my bank account. I guess I made the wrong assumption that a business would try to make another transaction off one that is ending. Also, that you guys might try and sell me something comparable.

All in all, you did the right thing by simply refunding my money. I'll consider this issue resolved. Next time I order, I'll ask about if the item is in stock, if it is not, what do you have that is comparable to it.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:46 PM
Banned

Again..in the most simplistic form. If you tell us to refund your money..that is what we are gonna do..so you get it as fast as possible vs. arguing. If you had not asked us for a refund if order did not ship by a certain day, the conversation would have been different.

Originally Posted by TransAm_VS_VR-4
I guess what I was looking for was something down the lines of...

"Part X you ordered is not in stock, but part Y is comparable and does the same thing. Part Y is a little more expensive, but we'll cut you a deal and send it out right away. Part Y will reach your house before the refund to Part X gets credited to your bank account. Which would you like?"

I do know that I asked for a refund, but for the sake of business, isn't your 2 goals to 1 please the customer, and 2 always accept the customer's money? You guys are the businessmen, not me. Breaking things down barney-style sometimes helps. I knew if I asked for a refund my money would be tied up for another 3-5 business days just for it to clear, that would have been an awesome selling point on a comparable item, saying it could be at my house before a refund would shop up in my bank account. I guess I made the wrong assumption that a business would try to make another transaction off one that is ending. Also, that you guys might try and sell me something comparable.

All in all, you did the right thing by simply refunding my money. I'll consider this issue resolved. Next time I order, I'll ask about if the item is in stock, if it is not, what do you have that is comparable to it.

Quick Reply: Maryland Speed, Bad Experience