LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

My experience with Maryland Speed and Kooks

Old 06-23-2011, 07:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default My experience with Maryland Speed and Kooks

I recently purchased a set of Kooks headers and y pipe for my 2010 GMC. It took two months to get y-pipe as Kooks had trouble determining what exhaust connection my truck had. I waited patiently thinking I would get the best. When my packages arrived I was disappointed to find the Kooks Ypipe was only 3" after the merge. The factory catback on my truck measures a full 3.5" along its entire length. By my own admission, I assumed the 3" Kooks ypipe would merge to a full 3.5" like the ARH system and match the factory exhaust. Disappointed, I contacted Maryland Speed and asked for a refund for my brand new in the box headers and y-pipe. They denied me. They claimed they would be stuck with system which I don't quite follow. The 6.2 trucks are the hottest topic on the truck forums. Maryland Speed has been adamant in their emails that the 3" pipe is best for my application as it will increase exhaust velocity. Increase velocity and cause a restriction. He also claims he doesn't understand why GM chose to go with larger tubing on the new 6.2 trucks. Its pretty clear why they did. It is best for the application. I am bothered by the fact that Kooks made a quick patch instead of designing what was really needed. Who wants to spend a lot of money and time installing headers on their vehicle with smaller than factory size tubing? It just doesn't make sense. The new Mustang, Camaro , and Corvette all come from the factory with duel 2.5" exhaust. Kooks betters this with duel 3" exhaust. Yet for my application smaller is better. I don't get it. I have emailed Kooks and asked them about making me a custom application with a true 3.5"(which I'll pay for) ypipe but they have yet to answer.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:28 PM
TECH Regular

Just to update, I just got off the phone with Tony from Kooks. He was very cool about my concerns with the ypipe. He said although there isn't 3.5" ypipe now they may make one down the road. He also said if the truck was available they could custom make one. I appreciate your time Tony.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The part ordered is advertised as a 3" Y-pipe...and is the same Y-pipe Kooks has been sending for this truck for a year and a half. It is not a quick patch...the only difference is the end connection. 2009, 2010, and 2011 6.2L's all have different catback connections. We do not stock this Y-pipe, so we special ordered it for you...that is why a return is difficult. That being said, I even sent you the data showing that Corsa only makes a 3" exhaust for this truck because they determined it performs better. Corsa's 3" exhaust flows 68% better than the stock 3.5" exhaust and makes 7 more HP and ft/lb of TQ. That is actual testing they did. I am not trying to be difficult here, but you are causing yourself a lot of heartburn over something that is not really an issue. Especially through the stock exhaust. We have never had a complaint on this Y-pipe, and neither has Kooks.

I have yet to find an aftermarket 3.5" exhaust for this truck...it it was needed, you would think there would be one.

I spoke with George all the sales manager at Kooks. He said he would be glad to assist you with this. You can call their number and ask for him.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:22 PM
TECH Regular

It wasn't a special order part. It was a part you said you didn't have in stock and would arrive in about a week. Don't try to change the facts to save face. The fact is you sell parts at a great price by moving a lot of volume but if there's a problem there's no refund. I just put this on here so people would know how you guys operate.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:32 PM
Banned

I think you are the one twisting words to suit the your needs. Me saying I have to bring it in would mean it is not regular stock. And again..the part is as advertised. I could see if we sold you something that is not what we said it was.

And while we are at it, you are the one who told me in my last email-

"No problem. I am sorry for being harsh. You are right the system is taylored around the majority. I am in the minority. I do think with 8 psi of boost there could be a modest gain. I understand where you stand on the refund matter. To not bother you I will take care of this myself. Have a nice day."
Yet then you come and bash us here. You have placed two orders with us..and I have done everything I can to give you a great deal and make you happy. We ran into an issue with the truck Y-pipe because of the different connections..and it took a while..but that was so we could make sure you got the correct Y-pipe. We do not stock the truck Y-pipes because there are so many part numbers..so I cannot just put it back on my shelf. It is unfortunate this has come to this...however when you tell someone it is fine..and then publically bash them..that is a bit unfair. If this is a part I normally stocked it would be refundable under our return policy.

Last edited by MarylandSpeed; 06-23-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:45 PM
TECH Regular

You are correct I did say that after you said you were not trying to argue. I am merely stating the facts of this case. I dont think we are ever going to agree over this matter. And yes after you stated you didnt want to refund or be stuck rma'n parts I said I would take care of this myself by selling the parts for a loss. You failed to mention that part of the email. Shall I scan?
Old 06-23-2011, 03:17 PM
Banned

I was pretty clear in the email I sent you that I gave you an awesome deal on the parts and did not want to be stuck RMAing them. I have no issue admitting that. When we get into that situation with a non stock part we lose money, and it is hard to continue offering the best pricing we can. I took care of you on this order because you were repeat good customer, and I was trying to reward that. Sticking me with an RMA on a non stock part because you did not research it makes the situation difficult. While I understand your concerns, I have spoke with with several people including Kooks and Corsa, and they assured me the part is fine for your application. The bottom line is, we are arguing about an issue that will not effect how your vehicle performs outside the margin of error on a dyno..especially through the stock catback. However it is becoming clear..no matter what I say, or what efforts expend to abate your concerns, you simply do not want the headers.

To end this disagreement, and so I do not have dissatisfied customer, you can return the parts, but it will subject to the order terms on our website. That includes a 25% restocking fee, and you have to send them back at your cost. And I still lose money on that because the parts will be returned to Kooks, and they charge us a 25% restocking fee (listed on their website). Even after the restocking fees, I am still eating the free shipping we gave you. If you want to contact Kooks, and see if they will waive the restocking fee for your situation, I have no issue waiving that. However if I have to pay it returning the part to them you will too.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:49 PM
TECH Regular

Well I appreciate you changing your mind now about the refund. A 25% fee plus my shipping cost to you is little more of a hit than I'm prepared to take. I think it would be best for me to sell them myself. Brandon, in your defense, you have been a trooper through this with your expression that you consider the smaller diameter tubing to be optimal. It is hard for me to grasp the concept as all aftermarket exhaust is equal to or larger in size than the oe materials. Beleave me I have looked. I am sorry we cant agree on this matter. I'm moving on.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ramairroughneck
Well I appreciate you changing your mind now about the refund. A 25% fee plus my shipping cost to you is little more of a hit than I'm prepared to take. I think it would be best for me to sell them myself. Brandon, in your defense, you have been a trooper through this with your expression that you consider the smaller diameter tubing to be optimal. It is hard for me to grasp the concept as all aftermarket exhaust is equal to or larger in size than the oe materials. Beleave me I have looked. I am sorry we cant agree on this matter. I'm moving on.
That is up to you...basic exhaust theory is that you want the smallest diameter tubing that can efficiantly flow the maximum exhaust output of the engine. The smaller diameter tubing pressurizes the exhaust gas more, which makes the exhaust gas move faster, and your engine breathe better. Kooks, Corsa, and everyone I talked to said 3" is fine and that is what they use. That is why Corsa flows 68% better with a 3" pipe. The exhaust gas is more pressurized, so it moves faster. I have tried my butt off to find a 3.5" aftermarket catback for your truck and cannot. So either GM (who engineered the stuff that needs to be replaced for better performance) is wrong..or every aftermarket company is wrong.

I am done now..I just wanted to explain what you referrence as me being a trooper about.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:38 AM
TECH Regular

Here's a few pictures for you guys. I decided to go ahead and install these. I got everything bolted up and discovered the ypipe is about 6" too long. I have not contacted Kooks about the ypipe being to long. I think it would be easier to just take the truck to an exhaust shop and have the pipe cut the right length than to put the old exhaust back on and wait for a new ypipe. Plus returning the pipe to MS is out of the question. I might could send it directly to Kooks but its been enough of a headache already.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My experience with Maryland Speed and Kooks