LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

Tick Performance Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 06:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tick Performance Problem

Tick performance is not what I thought it was. Apparently they have only one transmission builder named Jonathon who is arrogant rude and disrespectful. He seems to believe he is a god who can never make any mistakes. He takes on the attitude that the customer is always wrong and he is perfect.

I sent my t56 transmission to them because of a whine I had. We got the car on jack stands and ran it to be certain where the noise was coming from. My father even put a stethoscope up to the trans and differential; we are certain the noise was coming from the trans. I shipped it to them, opted for new bearings and they sent it back. We installed the trans in the car and took it for a ride. At first it was nice and quiet, all I could hear was the sweet sound of my ls1. I got it up to speed and still no noise. After about 5-10 minutes into the drive however the noise randomly came back.

My father has more years of experience with transmissions under his belt so I let him give tick a call. He eventually got in contact with what is clearly the only transmission builder there named Jonathan. My father was polite yet stern with him and explained the issue. John kept insisting it was the differential at fault and rudely dismissed anything my father said. After talking in circles for about 15 minutes, Jonathon began laughing disrespectfully at my father. His egotistical attitude was that he could not have made a mistake and my father knew nothing. Jonathon is arrogant and needs to re-evaluate his attitude towards his paying customers.

Even if we are wrong, and Jonathan is right, the fact still remains he is disrespectful and rude. He has the wrong attitude, we are all human, we all make mistakes and are all at fault for a problem many times throughout our lives. Jonathan doesn’t seem to realize this. We paid $1200 for a rebuild from him and he literally laughed in our faces as if to say “ha ha we got your money, too bad for you”. Two heads are better then one, tick needs a second trans guy to insure quality. I believed Tick was a team of experts but there’s only one guy who has nobody to check his work. That one guy is too supercilious and pompous. All he would have to do is test the trans on a machine or in a different car and he’d hear the same whine we hear.

I don’t know what to do here. Jonathan made it clear on the phone he had made up his mind and would ‘find’ no problem with the trans if we shipped it in so I would have to pay for shipping to and from for no reason. Tick performance is happy to take your money and later tell you to get lost if you have a problem.

Last edited by Ls1Mx-5; 12-12-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:07 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your entire reply could not be farther from the truth. If fact your very respectful father told me that our product was total "bull ****" and hung up on me.

Your problem is a whine which is present in ALL GEARS. Even before we sent the transmission back after the rebuild you guys were notified that no faults were found with any of the gears. Nothing was done in our rebuild to correct a gear whine because there was nothing internally that would create a whine.

What I find funny is the fact that you guys sent the trans somewhere for a rebuild before sending it to us. When we opened it up it was clear that you guys didn't run the transmission after coming back from him for any period of time. Your father said that he felt that guy was "incompetent" and that he overlooked the issue.

However we tore the trans down and also did not find an issue with any or all of the gears just as that first shop did not. Because of the whole situation and the fact that you guys told us even before our teardown that your issue was a "whine" I examined everything even more closely than normal.

After notifying you guys that no issue was found that would create a whine the first time, its likely that we wont find anything this time as well....especially considering another shop didn't find the issue either.

The fact is, I told your father repeatedly that there is no instance within a t56 transmission that is going to create a whine in EVERY GEAR. Although I told him that probably 50 times, he still insisted its the transmission. I find it humorous that I give him my advice trying to help him over and over during a 30+ minute conversation however my advice is clearly wrong to him. All I would like for him to do is check the pattern on the ring gear in the diff. I feel like your noise is 99% positive that its going to be the diff.

I also told him that bearings typically would not create a whine but rather a grinding/crunching sound but he seemed to disagree or disbelieve that statement also... Regardless, every bearing was replaced during the build and he even insinuated that we didn't replace them multiple times.

The bottom line is this: I told him repeatedly to send the trans back and we would check it under warranty. I told him that if there was something that we had obviously overlooked we would cover the shipping to and from us as well. I don't know how I could have helped you guys any more than that...

I still do not feel that I will find an issue, and I still feel your issue is the ring and pinion however I made it clear that we would warranty a tear down. In fact your father hung up on me after cursing me and I called back and still told him that we would check it out.

With a manual trans, a common problem is a gear whine in all gears EXCEPT 4th (which is 1:1 ratio and no gear is loaded). Your father made it clear that your whine did not go away or get quieter in 4th which rules out that the inputs teeth and cluster was faulty. Any other gear that would whine would be much more pronounced it that particular gear only. That is not your problem.

The only thing IMO that could cause a consistent whine in all gears is the diff. He was insistent because it came from an RX7 that it could not possibly have gone bad which I find hilarious.

I am very, VERY confident in my work. Yes I do make mistakes as any human being does from time to time. The reason I am the only one that does the rebuilds here is because I am the owner of the shop and I feel the quality of work would suffer if I brought in another employee to handle what is our primary means of income. Employees don't always have the same motives as shop owners and I feel that would certainly decrease quality control...not improve it.

For your father to dismiss every thing I said as if he knows for a fact that the problem is the transmission is ridiculous. Gear noise from a diff can easily transfer through the drive shaft and create the illusion that the transmission is in fact the source of the noise.

As stated repeatedly, we will gladly check it. However, since I am a jerk who is never wrong and the first guy is incompentent maybe you should send your transmission to a THIRD shop and see what they find. OR, you could just check the things I said to check and possibly save yourself a lot of time and money. Maybe everything would check out, you send the trans back to us and we'd find an issue but I doubt it.

Even the fact that the noise wasn't present for the first few minutes makes no sense at all. If anything, that would also tell me the issue was the diff because it took that amount of time for the fluid to heat up and thin out a bit in order for the noise to show up more. If the trans is whining, it should be present immediately as Dex III is very thin.

In the end, all we did is rebuild a used transmission that you sent to us. The gears checked out so we reused them as any builder would have done. It isn't hard to spot a gear that has been damaged from lack of fluid or excessive hp. And IMO nothing inside the transmission will create a gear whine in every single gear.

We wouldn't be a quality shop if we weren't confident in our work. For some reason your father became angry and made smart *** replies in attempts to put words in my mount that we were somehow biased and convinced we could never be wrong simply because I am confident in or rebuild and that is not the source of your noise.

Your father seems to have all the answers and already knows its the transmission, so I'm not sure why it isn't on its way back right now instead of creating some kind of pissing match thread on here. We never refused to check it out and would certainly admit a mistake if we find one.

-Jonathan
Old 12-15-2011, 11:22 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

If I had a core I would even be willing to swap the entire gear set with yours under warranty for no charge but we don't have any f-body cores currently. I believe nothing is wrong with your gears...thus the reason I would be willing to swap them. If I have to tear your trans down anyway it wouldn't be any more trouble to just replace or swap all of the gears if thats what you want to do.

If you wanted to find a core of your own I would put all your new parts in a different transmission also. If you still had a noise issue then you could be certain that the noise was not the transmission.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:11 PM
Launching!

My father lost his temper with you after you laughed disrespectfully in his face. He did not refer to your product as bullshit rather the manor by which you were going about the entire occurrence. He found your arrogant attitude and blatant disrespect to be “bullshit”, I do as well. If the whine is coming from my differential then why wouldn’t it whine the moment I started to drive the car? The pattern here keeps repeating itself.

I can let the car sit for months, go out to drive it and hear the whine instantly. I can let it sit for even longer than that, then the moment I start down the road the whine is present. There is only one exception to this: right after when someone “rebuilds” the trans. As you mentioned, I’ve had the trans out numerous times now, and after each time someone opens it up to do something to it, the whine mysteriously goes away for a short time. This cannot be coincidence. This has happened three times now, twice with the first trans shop and once with you. It’s as if something happens as I’m driving the car that prematurely wears something in the trans out. The duration of wear time has become shorter and shorter with each trans “rebuild”. That fact by itself proves it is not the rear end.

Furthermore I’d like for you to explain to me how a noise coming directly from the trans as listened to by the naked ear and through a stethoscope is the fault of a bad rear end. Even if the driveshaft were transmitting noise, the stethoscope test would have identified the rear end as the culprit. I’m not a trans expert, but I have common sense. A noise that is definitely coming from the trans is the fault of a bad trans not a bad differential. You used words like typically and can to describe what you think might be happening. So now you’re not so sure anymore?

My father grew angry with you as most people would. We gave you $1200 for you to talk down to him, be rude, disrespectful and not even listen. You say you’re the owner and you’re concerned with quality. Here’s a tip, you need to reevaluate the way you treat you’re paying customers. You referred to one of them who gave your company $1200 as “smart ***”…wait that’s funny, I thought you were so radically opposed to swearing.

I created this thread to prevent others from making the same mistake I made and force you to stand behind your work. Even if you do good work 90% of the time, how you handle mistakes are truly the times that shape your companies image, reputation and standards of operation. You’ve sure proven your character and how you do business beyond a doubt by how you’ve been handling this. You laugh in the face of your paying customers, talk disrespectfully to them and act as though you can’t make mistakes.

You stated again and again how you are so sure you will not find problems in the trans if I send it back, so why should I waste even more money? If you’re so confident about your product then stand behind it. I’ll sell you this trans that you’re so certain is in tip top shape to you for well under what you sell rebuilt transmission’s for. You suggested on the phone that I go out and buy a new trans and try it in the car. I’m not a rich man, I worked my butt off to earn the money to pay for this car, and I don’t have that kind of money just lying around. I did have it, but you took it from me.

Don’t want to do that? Here’s another offer: you market yourself as a big company that works on so many of these. It would be very easy for you to put this trans in another ls1 powered car/truck and test it yourself. I guarantee you’d hear the whine. If you’re going to do sub-par work, why not at least stand behind it. Take me up on one of my offers.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:37 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I will give you a full refund for the transmission rebuild that you paid us for minus the shipping plus $500 for your core which is more than fair. That would total $1509.99

You can then buy another transmission from someone else. I told your father repeatedly to send the trans back and we would check it out, but I was confident in the build and felt we would not find an issue. We even made it clear before even reassembling the trans during our initial rebuild that no faults were found that would create a whine. I guess what we should have done at that point was simply send the transmission back to you disassembled and only charged for the disassemble fee. That is the lesson I learned in this circumstance.

I grew impatient with your father after going in circles for well over 20 minutes. When I said to send the trans back and we'd even cover shipping if a fault was found that was the moment your father should have said "we'll get it on its way" as any other customer would have done. Instead he wanted to continue talking over the same old stuff we'd already discussed a month earlier...

We have warrantied other transmissions for a mysterious whine in all gears before. One particular instance we warrantied the same tranny twice with no faults found either time. The customer was very unhappy just as you and your father are however he chose to just tuff out the noise until something finally broke so that the problem could be clearly found. Guess what finally broke....

I would have expected to never hear from that customer again, but to my surprise I received an email from the guy stating that his diff was making the noises all along. He apologized for the trouble that was created for us. He also cost himself several hundred bucks shipping a tranny back and forth.

I make suggestions to customers based on experience. I never stated that you must check the diff and I never refused to warranty the transmission. The fact that your father wanted to beat a dead horse for 30 minutes after our business hours wore me thin and I did laugh at some of the statements that he made.

We are a small shop and have never stated otherwise. We have a staff of 5 people, however I am the only one who rebuilds the t56 transmissions. I average 5 to 10 t56 transmissions per week.

There is nothing sub par about our rebuild. Call the shop and Joey will get a label to you to send the trans back. Once we receive the transmission we will give you your refund of $1509.99. We have a waiting list of customers who have ordered cores who would be happy to have it.

704-660-5843
Old 12-16-2011, 08:59 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

"I created this thread to prevent others from making the same mistake I made and force you to stand behind your work."

This qoute from your previous post shows everyone reading this what type of person you are. It shows that obviously you aren't very intelligent or you have reading comprehension issues because I have repeatedly said over the phone and here that we would warranty the tranny.

WE HAVE NEVER STATED THAT WE WOULD NOT WARRANTY YOUR TRANSMISSION

People who create mud slinging threads with the intention to simply drag someone down have no respect from me. We offered to take a look at it, which is all we or any other rebuild shop can offer. You created that last post to pressure us into the outcome that you desire, and in this case I am going to grant your wishes.

We don't need customers like you. You are welcome to check our feedback for other complaints if you can find any. I have rebuilt over a thousand transmissions and we've been in business for almost 10 years and I have NEVER came across anyone like you and your father.

Regardless of if we overlooked an issue within the trans or not, we were never even given the chance... After accusations of not replacing the bearings and everything else your father and I discussed any business owner / transmission builder would have became angry. Maybe I am a bit arrogant, but I am good at what I do and I do not like when people suggest that I charged for parts that weren't installed. And anyone who thinks a differential won't whine because its from an RX7 deserves to be laughed at.

Admins, I think its probably time to lock this one down as there is really nothing left to be said on the matter...
Old 12-16-2011, 03:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jonathan@Tick
I guess what we should have done at that point was simply send the transmission back to you disassembled and only charged for the disassemble fee.
Take a look at what you’re suggesting. You say you would take a customers trans, disassemble it, send it back, and charge them for the process. What type of company are you running where that’s what you proudly state you should be doing?

I grew impatient with your father after going in circles for well over 20 minutes…30 minutes after our business hours wore me thin and I did laugh at some of the statements that he made.
First it’s 30 minutes then its 20 minutes then back to 30. You’ve proven through your admitted foul business practices, and convoluted stories that you are not to be trusted. You designated that time of day as you’re only time of phone communication with your customers, then complain about it, more and more bad from you.

Why would we ever send the trans back to you to be “rechecked”? You yourself say you’re arrogant and you’ve proven your low level of character throughout these proceedings. You would really admit to a mistake? You assert that after 1000 trans rebuilds you’ve never made one mistake, that’s hard to believe. The fact is, you would receive the trans, say it was fine, ship it back to me and have me cover the shipping costs. I’m not going to pander to your ego bolstering nonsense.

This qoute from your previous post shows everyone reading this what type of person you are. It shows that obviously you aren't very intelligent or you have reading comprehension issues because I have repeatedly said over the phone and here that we would warranty the tranny.
You dare to tread there? Take a look at the many grammar errors that riddle your posts, if any one here is exposing their low comprehension level of the English language it’s you. Can’t even spell “qoute” correctly.

People who create mud slinging threads with the intention to simply drag someone down have no respect from me
At first it wasn’t about dragging you down, I wanted to give you a chance to do a paying customer right but you’ve proven otherwise. This thread speaks volumes for itself. Look at what its taken to evoke you to claim you’ll do the right thing, for shame.

anyone who thinks a differential won't whine because its from an RX7 deserves to be laughed at
More evidence of your nonexistent listening skills. My father made it clear that the diff is in good shape, the fact that it’s from an rx7 is extraneous information not the basis of why its in good condition.

Call the shop and Joey will get a label to you to send the trans back. Once we receive the transmission we will give you your refund of $1509.99…Admins, I think its probably time to lock this one down as there is really nothing left to be said on the matter...
I want to believe you’d follow through with your offer but how can I be sure? By the way you’re handling this, it’s safe to say there’s a good chance I’d get scammed here. You’d mysteriously never receive the trans, or you’d get it and “ohh something is wrong and its you’re fault”. How do I know you won’t scam me out of more money here? Is that why you’re running scared trying to lock this? Lets keep this open so maybe you can prove there’s some level of moral standard you possess. Any further transaction needs to be through paypal.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:16 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I'm done with this. I cannot believe that you would go to these lengths to make us look bad when we have offered to warranty the transmission from the first moments of our phone conversation. A transmission that I strongly feel has no issue I might add. I have even offered to Refund your money yet you continue to rant.

Your intentions are obviously not to have your transmission repaired or refunded. Your intentions are to drag our name through the mud and twist this into something it isn't.

This entire thread and the phone conversation both took a turn for the worse because you guys are paranoid that someone is trying to take advantage of you.

We have never taken advantage of anyone and we don't plan to start with you. How you chose to proceed from here is up to you.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:53 PM
Launching!

You may want to be done with this but that’s too bad. You did me wrong and I’m not going to let you walk all over me, that’s not how things work. You can’t treat customers this way and just “be done with it”, there are consequences. You dug this hole, make it right.

I offered to do this through paypal but you didn’t even address that. You want to man up? Lets do this the safest way for both of us: through paypal. If you’re opposed to that, you’re proving my point for me. The trans has no issue right? My intention is very clear: stick to what you offered and buy it off me.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I really wish that someone who has an unbiased opinion about this situation could tell me what more I could possibly offer....

I don't claim to know everything, and I have never stated that I have never made a single mistake on any of our rebuilds. I am sure there are members on here who have had a transmission warrantied by us.

My point by stating the number of transmissions I have built was simply to point out that I am very experienced with this particular transmission. You then twist what I said to something completely different. All I wanted to do was help you diagnose your issue without having to send the transmission back if that was possible. Your father would not even listen to any of my advice.

You say the diff is fine but have you actually inspected it since the noise began? I realize your method of diagnosis was a stethoscope and you may be correct in your diagnoses...but based on my experience the issue is more likely the diff than the transmission. Am I not allowed to make suggestions in an attempt to help you guys?

The members who read this thread aren't stupid....I'm not sure why you continue to put words in my mouth just as your father tried to do on the phone. Even the 20 minute / 30 minute crap you mention has no relevance. I could go back and tell you exactly how long our conversation was before I was hung up on, but who cares? The conversation went ok for about 20 minutes until we both had enough and then it continued on for another 10-15 minutes.

If you want to send us your trans so that we can check it that is fine. If you don't that is fine too. If you want a refund, that is also fine. The decision is yours, there is nothing more we can offer.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:28 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ls1Mx-5
You may want to be done with this but that’s too bad. You did me wrong and I’m not going to let you walk all over me, that’s not how things work. You can’t treat customers this way and just “be done with it”, there are consequences. You dug this hole, make it right.

I offered to do this through paypal but you didn’t even address that. You want to man up? Lets do this the safest way for both of us: through paypal. If you’re opposed to that, you’re proving my point for me. The trans has no issue right? My intention is very clear: stick to what you offered and buy it off me.
When we get the transmission back we will refund your card, just like any other refund we issue. I don't have to change my policies for you. Who do you think you are? I don't have to offer you any kind of refund, much less offer to purchase your transmission.

You made the decision to re-use the gears inside the transmission in hopes that new bearings would solve the noise. You were given the opportunity to replace gears and YOU chose not to do so. Why is it our fault that your tranny whines when you made the decisions. Our rebuild package does not include new gears. We inspect the gears and notify the customer of any additional parts that are necessary beyond the basic package. We told you that your gears looked fine but if you wanted to eliminate any possibility of noise you could replace the input and cluster. YOU CHOSE NOT TO REPLACE THOSE GEARS. If your gears appeared to be faulty we would have gladly sold you new ones and told you it was necessary.

I stand by my belief that your transmission is fine. I feel that if you install a completely different transmission you will still have the same whine. Just because I feel that everything is fine doesn't mean that I wouldn't disassemble the transmission when sent back and go over everything again.

Why are you so paranoid that everyone is out to get you? Why would you even think that we would not properly inspect the trans when sent back? Why would you think we would scam you? You have absolutely no reason to believe we would do that. You cannot find a single person who we have scammed. If this is how you perceive the world and the people who live in it you must have a sad life.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:33 PM
Launching!

You keep talking in circles here, I already made it clear what my choice is. Are you going back on your word and not willing to do the refund now? Paypal is the safest fairest method. By the way, irrelevant material? You brought up the reading comprehension thing not me. You keep swearing in your posts, try to show a little class if you can. Throwing insults my way is not a form of defending yourself if you didn't know. The readers of this thread are not stupid and will see you for what you are, you said it yourself: “arrogant”.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:43 PM
Launching!

You made the decision to re-use the gears inside the transmission in hopes that new bearings would solve the noise. You were given the opportunity to replace gears and YOU chose not to do so. Why is it our fault that your tranny whines when you made the decisions. Our rebuild package does not include new gears. We inspect the gears and notify the customer of any additional parts that are necessary beyond the basic package. We told you that your gears looked fine but if you wanted to eliminate any possibility of noise you could replace the input and cluster. YOU CHOSE NOT TO REPLACE THOSE GEARS. If your gears appeared to be faulty we would have gladly sold you new ones and told you it was necessary.
The smoking gun. So after all this now you’re talking about the gears, and admitting the trans is bad. You’re the supposed trans expert not me. You said the gears were useable and to your spec. Were you lying then or are you lying now? You were so certain the trans you put your company behind was good, now you're going back on that. I guess we found the problem didn't we?

When we get the transmission back we will refund your card, just like any other refund we issue…

Why are you so paranoid that everyone is out to get you? You cannot find a single person who we have scammed. If this is how you perceive the world and the people who live in it you must have a sad life.
You keep changing your story around and you’re stooping to childish insults. You’re not showing yourself to be much of a man so why should I believe that someone with the low level of class you’ve demonstrated to have would stick to his word. You sure can’t stick to one story on here can you
Old 12-16-2011, 06:50 PM
Launching!

we will give you your refund of $1509.99. We have a waiting list of customers who have ordered cores who would be happy to have it.

704-660-5843
Gonna stick to your word? Paypal is the safe fair way of doing this. Don't tell me you're going back on this too
Old 12-16-2011, 07:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ls1Mx-5
The smoking gun. So after all this now you’re talking about the gears, and admitting the trans is bad. You’re the supposed trans expert not me. You said the gears were useable and to your spec. Were you lying then or are you lying now? You were so certain the trans you put your company behind was good, now you're going back on that. I guess we found the problem didn't we?

You keep changing your story around and you’re stooping to childish insults. You’re not showing yourself to be much of a man so why should I believe that someone with the low level of class you’ve demonstrated to have would stick to his word. You sure can’t stick to one story on here can you
I do not admit the trans is bad. Why don't you read the exact post you quoted. I clearly state that if the gears were bad we would have suggested replacement. In other words, there were not bad. Just below that I state that "I stand by my belief that your transmission is fine."

At this point, I have decided that I will not honor a warranty for you. I will not honor a refund for you. I will do nothing for you.

All other customers will receive the same great service we have become known for over the last 10 years.

I have bent over backwards to help you. I have offered to warranty and even refund your transmission. I will not do the refund via paypal because that is our policy. I would think that it is pretty clear that when you return a product for a refund, you return the product then get a refund.

This thread has went nowhere and despite my continued attempts to offer the best we can, you choose to continue the discussion on a public board in an attempt to make us out to be a bad guy. In fact we have done nothing to you and we have not charged you for anything you didn't receive.

I do not think your transmission is bad but I was willing to do whatever it takes to satisfy you. Now is your opportunity to have yet another transmission builder remedy the situation. Some customers simply can't be satisfied.

Good luck Sir.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:31 PM
Launching!

You have not helped me in any way. You screwed a paying customer over, and now other potential customers can see that. Your warranty’s and your word are meaningless.

I will give you a full refund for the transmission rebuild that you paid us for minus the shipping plus $500 for your core which is more than fair. That would total $1509.99…

we will give you your refund of $1509.99. We have a waiting list of customers who have ordered cores who would be happy to have it…

If you want a refund, that is also fine. The decision is yours
I took you up on that, and you refused to follow through with it. You’re a 3 time liar plain and simple. The only reason you won’t go through paypal is because you wouldn’t be able to scam me further. Why else would you be so opposed to it? There is no logical reason for you to not go through paypal. You lied and contradicted yourself many times through out this and seem to be proud of it.

Why should I trust a liar to grant a refund after he has all the leverage on me? I shouldn’t, you would claim you never received it or it was damaged. You showed what you and your business are all about: deceit. You refuse to stand behind your work and cannot be trusted

Quick Reply: Tick Performance Problem