LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

Granatelli Wires Are Not Warrantied for Life

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Default Granatelli Wires Are Not Warrantied for Life

Well, they were. In 2012, I bought a set of Granatelli wires from WS6Store. Mostly because they were blue, not really for the performance... either way, they carried a lifetime warranty and that appealed to me. One day while swapping to BR7EF plugs from my TR6s, the #8 cylinder plug kept the clip on the plug. Good thing I had some MSDs, I installed an MSD and warrantied the plug wire. They sent one out quickly, I installed, everything was right.

Well, it happened again on another plug change, clip stayed on the plug. I've never had this happen before on other cars, but I've always used MSDs (and will from now on, mind you). I just called minutes ago to warranty the wire, and was asked when I bought it... 2012. Sorry, only a 1 year warranty. I explained that I bought them back when there was a lifetime warranty and he retorted that that's been changed... um, huh?

So without signing or anything, I've been informed that my wires are now out of warranty because the warranty changed. A fantastic attribute to the wires, a reason to buy the wires in the first place, has changed.

Granatelli may add 1500HP per cylinder due to 0 ohm resistance, but their CS and general business practices need immediate attention.
Old 12-19-2015, 02:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
Well, they were. In 2012, I bought a set of Granatelli wires from WS6Store. Mostly because they were blue, not really for the performance... either way, they carried a lifetime warranty and that appealed to me. One day while swapping to BR7EF plugs from my TR6s, the #8 cylinder plug kept the clip on the plug. Good thing I had some MSDs, I installed an MSD and warrantied the plug wire. They sent one out quickly, I installed, everything was right.

Well, it happened again on another plug change, clip stayed on the plug. I've never had this happen before on other cars, but I've always used MSDs (and will from now on, mind you). I just called minutes ago to warranty the wire, and was asked when I bought it... 2012. Sorry, only a 1 year warranty. I explained that I bought them back when there was a lifetime warranty and he retorted that that's been changed... um, huh?

So without signing or anything, I've been informed that my wires are now out of warranty because the warranty changed. A fantastic attribute to the wires, a reason to buy the wires in the first place, has changed.

Granatelli may add 1500HP per cylinder due to 0 ohm resistance, but their CS and general business practices need immediate attention.
I am sorry this has happened to you. We have a set of GMS wires that have been in use since 2006 up until now on 3 different LS motors. The same thing happened back in 2007 and it was warrantied. We are a GMS dealer. GMS wires are top notch. I will see what we can do for you in getting that warrantied with GMS if possible. Maybe you just spoke to the wrong person that day. E-mail us your info.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by X-ray
That is an extremely poor business practice to not honor a "lifetime" warranty after 3 years. I'm pretty sure a warranty is a legally binding contract between the buyer and seller.
I would have thought so. The rep I spoke with had clearly been schooled on what to say though, he mentioned a couple times that the original warranty was "limited lifetime" as though it somehow magically gets you out of jail. I'm no lawyer, but you don't have to be to realize that's shady business practice.

Originally Posted by leeluther252
Even if that's true, what are you going to do? Spend 10k+ to sue them for a $100.00
Bingo. But on the other side, what does it really cost Granatelli to make these wires? Their profit margin is awesome I'd have to believe, so the best I can hope to do at this point is influence a negative business impact greater than they would have hoped. That's wishful thinking since I'm only able to tell people who ask me about wires, and that's not a lot of people, lol!

Originally Posted by coSPEED
I am sorry this has happened to you. We have a set of GMS wires that have been in use since 2006 up until now on 3 different LS motors. The same thing happened back in 2007 and it was warrantied. We are a GMS dealer. GMS wires are top notch. I will see what we can do for you in getting that warrantied with GMS if possible. Maybe you just spoke to the wrong person that day. E-mail us your info.
Thanks, but WS6Store already tried, Granatelli must have told him the same since he was unsuccessful as well.

I mean, from a business standpoint, why would you jeopardize such a high profit margin item with petty, questionable business practice? I can't fathom the mindset, but I guess that's why I don't own a company that relabels sheet metal intakes and claims 5,000,000 hp gains with plug wire changes on a stock vehicle...
Old 12-21-2015, 10:58 AM
Banned

I would have thought so. The rep I spoke with had clearly been schooled on what to say though, he mentioned a couple times that the original warranty was "limited lifetime" as though it somehow magically gets you out of jail. I'm no lawyer, but you don't have to be to realize that's shady business practice.

Bingo. But on the other side, what does it really cost Granatelli to make these wires? Their profit margin is awesome I'd have to believe, so the best I can hope to do at this point is influence a negative business impact greater than they would have hoped. That's wishful thinking since I'm only able to tell people who ask me about wires, and that's not a lot of people, lol!

Thanks, but WS6Store already tried, Granatelli must have told him the same since he was unsuccessful as well.

I mean, from a business standpoint, why would you jeopardize such a high profit margin item with petty, questionable business practice? I can't fathom the mindset, but I guess that's why I don't own a company that relabels sheet metal intakes and claims 5,000,000 hp gains with plug wire changes on a stock vehicle...
Maybe they didn't try hard enough. Had a customer with the same issue and took care of him recently. But hey, if you don't care to try, I don't care either I guess.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by coSPEED
Maybe they didn't try hard enough. Had a customer with the same issue and took care of him recently. But hey, if you don't care to try, I don't care either I guess.
Well actually, I don't lose anything by trying again... sure, email sent. Thanks for offering to help
Old 12-21-2015, 06:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Granatelli has always stood behind their products. Respectfully the product (the wires) are not covered for mis installation. The only way the "clip" stays on the plug (separating itself from the boot) is when you pull on the wire rather than grabbing the boot when you remove it from the plug. While we certainly understand its an honest mistake - it is a mistake made by the consumer not a direct failure of the product. Also it should be added this was discussed the last time the wires were replaced. YOU CAN'T PULL ON THE WHEN REMOVING IT FROM THER BOOT. You need to wiggle the boot. The only way the boot would stay stock on the plug is if there were no dielectric grease on it - which we also include in the kit.

Granatelli does not want to get into a figure pointing competition here, we just want the facts out there. We have always stood for quality and these Ignition product are still the best in the business. Had a wire failed like disintegrate or decompose we would always take care of the customer. In this case that is not what happened the last time we replaced it for free and that is not what is happening now.

Also we asked that you send us the wire or at minimum a picture o the part in question. To my knowledge that did not happen either.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by leeluther252
Even if that's true, what are you going to do? Spend 10k+ to sue them for a $100.00
NO one is talking about suing anyone guys - come on

There may be confusiion here but its simple - If the wire would have failed we would have covered it.

Really the only thing we dont cover is header (high heat) damage and pulling the wire out of the boot.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

I would have thought so. The rep I spoke with had clearly been schooled on what to say though, he mentioned a couple times that the original warranty was "limited lifetime" as though it somehow magically gets you out of jail. I'm no lawyer, but you don't have to be to realize that's shady business practice. ...
Perhaps there is still confusion here - the issue at hand is not the lifetime warranty. The issue is pulling the wire out of the boot while trying to remove it from the plug. I even understand that sometime you cant reach the boot so a person must take a chance. However if you pull and feel the boot is still stuck…PLEASE STOP PULLING - and that is what happened the last time you did a pull change.

Thanks, but WS6Store already tried, Granatelli must have told him the same since he was unsuccessful as well. ...
To be clear WS6 store totally went to bat. They even offered to purchase the one wire for the customer - so props to them for great customer service.

Its always been the company policy to give the consumer the benefit of the doubt and that is what happened the last time this happened - GMS replaced it. But not again - that would not be fair.

We understand that you are upset. That is the problem (or should I say upside or downside) with the forums. The consumer can simply threaten the manufacture that they will say bad things if they don’t get their way.

Let me end this with what I started with. This is not a warrantable item as the product did not fail to perform. The consumer did not use proper care when removing the boot and wire from the plug and WE DID explain this and WE DID cover it the last time. - See Customer Supplied Photo Below

I will most likely get in trouble for sticking up from the boss but I do see it from both sides and I think GMS covered it last time so it shows the company stood behind the product.

Lastly, I have worked here for a while and these guys help out everybody that walks in the door. They will open early and stay late if that is what it takes. They don’t make inflated HP claims, if anything they are conservative on the numbers. They under promise and over deliver. Its been that way for all GRANATELLI owned companies for 70 years

Last edited by Granatelli; 01-04-2016 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:31 PM
Banned

Thanks for the explanation. I did not realize they were being pulled that way.

GMS is correct, the wires should not be pulled that way. Again, as I stated in my previous post, GMS wires are top notch, ours has been on 3 different motors since 2006.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Let me just say, granatelli, your assumption that I don't know how to pull a wire off the plug is infuriating. You assume I did that, nope, pulled on the boot like always. If you want to accuse me of pulling on the wire, perhaps you should ask if that's what I actually did rather than just blindly telling me you won't warranty it. Hell, yall didn't even ask if it DID disintegrate. The only question you asked when I called was when I bought it.

I always use dielectric grease on both the coil and plug, another wild assumption on your part. Again, I've never had an msd wire fail, how do you explain that? Do you think I magically pull msd wires off differently than yours?

P.S. I changed my plugs this weekend from br7ef to tr6. Guess what my msd wires DIDNT do? Fail.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also, the FIRST time your wire failed, I did send it back to you, per your request. Quit this whole you're innocent act, you've arbitrarily decided not to honor your word, a lifetime warranty.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

Let me just say, Granatelli, your assumption that I don't know how to pull a wire off the plug is infuriating. You assume I did that, nope, pulled on the boot like always. If you want to accuse me of pulling on the wire, perhaps you should ask if that's what I actually did rather than just blindly telling me you won't warranty it. Hell, yall didn't even ask if it DID disintegrate. The only question you asked when I called was when I bought it.

I always use dielectric grease on both the coil and plug, another wild assumption on your part. Again, I've never had an msd wire fail, how do you explain that? Do you think I magically pull msd wires off differently than yours?

P.S. I changed my plugs this weekend from br7ef to tr6. Guess what my msd wires DIDNT do? Fail.
Let me start by saying nothing in any of my posts is intended to be combative. I am merely a long time Granatelli enthusiast that now works at Granatelli. I spoke with Jack (the Granatelli person that talked to you about warranty vs. not warranty) He is the same person that gave you the replacement wires that last time you had the same issue. My point here was only to say - send a picture, which I don’t think has happened yet and we don’t cover damage to the wire when they are pulled off.

Last edited by Granatelli; 01-04-2016 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

Also, the FIRST time your wire failed, I did send it back to you, per your request. Quit this whole you're innocent act, you've arbitrarily decided not to honor your word, a lifetime warranty.
This is also false. We do not cover what you described and I asked you as did Jack to simply send in a picture - that would have cost nothing. Mr. G is all about helping out. Especially during Xmas. You wont find anyone more giving.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

No one ever asked for a pic, just told me it wasn't covered due to your arbitrary change in policy. I kept the wire, I've taken, but at this point, your company's handling of the situation makes it appear you won't help even if I do send pics. Instead, I think I'll post them here, where everyone can see what a crappy crimp is. First pic shows crappy crimp, second shows there's dielectric grease shoved deep in the boot as a result of applying grease, then putting the wire on the plug. Pics to come when I'm by a computer.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

And I never said msd has no failure, I said I've never had one fail using the same install/uninstall method of pulling on the boot. And say what you want, I did send back the first wire. Most giving my butt, I bet if I fail a craftsman wrench they wouldn't accuse me of misuse...

Are you seriously defending your company's denial of a 12 dollar warranty?
Old 12-23-2015, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Name:  20151221_205331c_zpslv30es8u.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  334.5 KB

Name:  20151221_205413c_zpsnfhibvf8.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  217.4 KB
Old 12-23-2015, 07:51 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

As I’ve been PM’d a few times about this, and I’ve pushed these wire sets quite a bit over the years here, I’m gonna post in this thread.

Now that the OP has posted a picture of his wire with the obviously not fully crimped connector, I feel he deserves a replacement under warranty.

Moving forward (or backwards), our friends at GMS needs to clearly state what their original lifetime warranty covers-and under what circumstances a wire or wire set bought under the original lifetime warranty (before the policy change on 5/14) will NOT be covered.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:29 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I've done some pruning/clean-up of this thread, going forward let's keep it between the parties involved and avoid the bandwagoning/negative comments from those not directly involved with the purchase or with helping to find a resolution.

Thanks,
-Admin.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

And say what you want, I did send back the first wire. ?
AND GRANATELLI COVERED IT - Your words

, I bet if I fail a craftsman wrench they wouldn't accuse me of misuse... ?
THIS IS JOE GRANATELLI THE OWNER - PLEASE EXCUSE MY STAFF THEY ARE JUST TRYING TO SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT AND ITS GETTING HOSTILE. WE JUST WANT HAPPY CUSTOEMRS. NO STRESS.

1. We are not Craftsman
2. While Craftsman says lifetime they don't cover using the tools wrong like a screw driver as a chisel or if a wrench touched the positive and negative on the battery posts and melted the edges - likewise SEARS would not cover the Diehard battery if the posts came in contact with each other

Without assuming anything here - Can everyone tell me on a LS motor in a Gen 4 F-body what is the hardest wire to reach? Drum roll please…. #8. Why because the engine is jammed right up to the A/C stuff and #8 is pseudo under the windshield as is #4 on the other side.

Which wire of his failed? (post 1)

One day while swapping to BR7EF plugs from my TR6s, the #8 cylinder plug kept the clip on the plug.
ahh #8. So the one wire that 99% of the people remove by simply pulling on the only section of the part they can grasp (that being the top on the coil side) and rarely can anyone reach down to get their hands on the plug boot itself just happened to be the one that failed. Plus (and with all due respect) your picture above shows the silicone jacketing is still stuck in the crimp WHICH IS A CLEAR INDICATION YOU HAD TO HAVE PULLED IT FROM THE WIRE. Why someone asks? Because if he pulled it from the boot and the boot and jacket are crimped into one and another then there would be no way for the crimp to still have the jacket fragment in it. The picture tells the story.

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
As I’ve been PM’d a few times about this, and I’ve pushed these wire sets quite a bit over the years here, I’m gonna post in this thread. Now that the OP has posted a picture of his wire with the obviously not fully crimped connector, I feel he deserves a replacement under warranty.
The picture does not substantiate that the crimp was not fully crimped - its shows pry marks as 11 and 1. FOR SURE Granatelli does not put those marks in a wire when crimping. it would be impossible because they pry marks shows it from the inside out and our tool like every tool on the plant MUST CRIMP from the outside in. Reducing the diameter of the metal around that of the inner core and jacketing of the wire itself.

With all this being said and in the interest of putting it to rest I will get you another wire replacement to eliminate all questions. However what are the odds of the same person having multiple crimps failures on the same car AND the same wire (as described in post 1) when the other 99% of the people out there NEVER have a failure?

That leads us to Post 19 by liljay10. I can promise you, ALL OF YOU, if someone had 4 failures out of 8 wires in a single set and they called in - Mr. Granatelli would address the issue. I have been with the Granatelli Organization for over 20 years. I was here when they started the wire division and I can say out of the 1000's of sets sold bad crimps have never been an issue and that would be covered for the most part.

They say you learn as you go. One of the things we have all learned is that you can not and should not remove the spark plug wires from the plug side by yanking on the wire. It needs to be from the boot.

Last example: Every year we do the Mid America Corvette Funfest. We offer free wire installs to all that purchase on site. That equates to roughly 140 sets over 3 1/2 days. American Racing also offers Free Header installs and it would turn out that they are the biggest customer we have over those 3.5 days. WHY??? Because for every header install they do they need to remove the factory wires to get the headers out and invariably they fail the crimps on the wires (factory wires, Taylor Wires, MSD Etc) as they pull on them to get the boots off the plugs - it’s the nature of the beast. Its just too easy to blame the wire manufacture and then go on line and go after them.

We appreciate that THEMEALONWHEELS was kind enough to give us credit for replacing the #8 that broke the first time but that also proves our point. And if he or anyone else feels mislead by what the returns department said as it relates to warranty based on time vs. consumer error then Granatelli apologizes for that. BUT THE WARRANTY ON THESE WIRES HAS NOT CHANGED

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Moving forward (or backwards), our friends at GMS needs to clearly state what their original lifetime warranty covers-and under what circumstances a wire or wire set bought under the original lifetime warranty (before the policy change on 5/14) will NOT be covered.
The policy has been the same and never changed. Granatelli Performance Ignition wires are warranted to be free from defects in materials and workmanship. This warranty applies only to the original purchaser and only as originally installed on the vehicle. If failure should occur, defective product in question must be shipped back prepaid to the address listed on the box. Replacement or refund is at the discretion of GMS and is limited to the replacement of the defect part only. Consequential charges (such as labor) or damage will not be considered.

So that means we don't cover installation error and removal errors. We don’t cover wires that melt because they were touch the exh manifolds or headers. It’s a common sense thing.

WE DO COVER A BAD CRIMP - that would be on the manufacturer - We all agree.

the pry marks at 11 and 1 really trouble me. It makes the picture highly suspect - sorry

Either way we agree to replace the one wire as a show of good faith - that is if he still wants it

Last edited by Granatelli; 01-04-2016 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:25 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

OK folks, I think that says a lot. Thank you Granatelli for stepping back in here and clearing all this up.

I think we can take from this that Granatelli does strive to warranty their wires, either covered by the original lifetime or under the new warranty policy. No one can blame them, or any other manufacturer, to first question or examine a warranty claim. There will be those rare times that a warranty claim may be denied.

Having said this, buyer beware that a warranty from any manufacturer may not cover everything without question.

Coincidentally, at the same time all this has been going on, I needed to order a custom set of wires for my Monte Carlo. I will say that the wires look very good, as I expected.

Moving forward, my opinion will continue to be that Granatelli makes the best wires. They have zero Ohms and are very tough. No longer having a lifetime warranty is no reason to not use them. Does any other wire maker offer a lifetime warranty?

Of course, there certainly have been some people who have justified the cost with the lifetime warranty. There will be people who won’t pony up the bucks without the lifetime warranty. Granatelli’s loss of a sale, I’m sure they’ve calculated the impact.

Personally, I will continue to use and recommend Granatelli ignition wires.

Quick Reply: Granatelli Wires Are Not Warrantied for Life