LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

Thompson Motorsports...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 12:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Post Thompson Motorsports...

I really debated opening this thread, but I'm up to four things now that are not as they should be, and I don't feel like I can continue to assemble this engine in good conscience because things are not as promised.

1: Gen 4 rods promised, Gen 3 rods actual.
2: L33 block promised, LM4 block actual (chain tensioner spacing, all short vs 2 short head bolts/side). See casting # in photo below.
3: Someone's old crank sprocket was left on during cleaning assembly as evidenced by the sludge under it when removed, and the blasting shot that was still present around the key, and would have worked its way into the oiling system over time (wow). This also brings into question if the assembly was balanced for the heavier pistons (unlikely)
4: This crank has been ran into something on the #1 throw, as evidenced by the leading edge mushroomed in two directions. See photos.

Issue 1, the rods. Self explanatory. I was assured by Aaron over the phone after the fact (as well as the screenshot above) that they would be Gen4 floating rods when these are clearly not.

Issue 2: LM4 block, not L33. Notice something funny about two of the head studs? Yeah. L33 blocks use all short studs a la the rest of the 2004+ blocks. LM4 blocks dont, so obviously these components won't work (And isn't what i paid for) L33 blocks also use the late style timing chain tensioner spacing, narrow/1.74", not the 2.2" the lm4 blocks use, so the tensioner I have wont work.

The timing chain shot shows the wide early style tensioner bolts, which are the narrow/late style on the L33 block I was supposed to get.

Issue 3: This is simply laziness and lack of attention to detail. I fixed this out of due diligence, but wow. Note all the metal shot beads on the key and inside of the sprocket.

Issue 4: The issue I have with this is the integrity of the crank is in question due to it. Granted the short block has a warranty, but still. Note the protrusion of the impacted area inward and outward of the crank throw (notice how it comes to a point, where it should be round). It takes a hell of a hit to mushroom iron in two directions. I took a few minutes to sand it to shape and polish it out, but...

On the plus side, the actual machine work done looks very good, the crate was well made and the engine arrived in good shape otherwise. Waiting on a response from the TMS team, as I sent them an email around dinnertime last night. Hopefully they will remedy the situation. I'm disappointed, but stuff happens.

Last edited by DietCoke; 07-05-2016 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-25-2016, 06:41 PM
10 Second Club

You can almost live with one or two of the things, but where do you draw the line. It's not what I paid for.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:36 AM
Banned

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow, I really wish you had given us even a moment to work with you on this.

I sent you an email all ready to see if we could help you with any of these concerns this morning as soon as I came in. I really wish we had been afforded the opportunity to resolve this with you prior to blasting us. I am very sorry for the inconvenience and would like to help you resolve this. I understand that there was some miscommunication and you are un happy, If we can help please let me know.

Thank you,
Kyle
972-853-2450
Old 06-27-2016, 09:57 AM
10 Second Club

Not blasting you at all, just showing what i ordered vs what i received. Ill call you at lunchtime when i get a minute
Old 06-27-2016, 12:17 PM
10 Second Club

Kyle was able to help me on the phone and we discussed the things mentioned here and I think we came to an agreeable solution all around. I'll post an update when the replacement gets here.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:42 PM
10 Second Club

The replacement came today, and it's a nice piece of work. Everything looks fantastic, and it has the right block and rods this time around.

12572733 casting #, this is an L33 (well duh, the studs and damper fit)

Optimistic that this piece will run many happy miles in the Exocet, and a big thank you to Kyle for getting it fixed.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:06 PM
Banned

I am glad we were able to get this corrected for you.
Thank you,
Kyle
972-853-2450
Old 07-26-2016, 07:05 PM
10 Second Club

Second follow up on this:

Took the car for its first spin around the block today, engine is rock solid. Makes great cold idle and warm cruise oil pressure. Excited to get some miles on it and change the oil and get to really enjoying it.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:22 AM
Banned

Sounds like you are having some fun with it. Please let us know if we can help with anything else.
Thank you,
Kyle
972-853-2450

Quick Reply: Thompson Motorsports...