LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

Anybody rockin a SixSpeedInc tranny? Other members reply

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 08:09 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ErikElvis
Do you guys do true power shifts with these trannys? As in not letting off the gas between shifts? I think that would easily get me in the 12's if I did that but Ive been easy on my car so far.
Yes and it's definitely a help in shortening up your times. However, looking at your sig, if you can get that 60' to just 2.0, you'd be well into the 12s!
Old 03-08-2008, 08:12 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave,

Don't worry with the noise. It is super scarry the first few times you hear it on the street but you will never hear the noise on the track. Just remember the more you don't use the clutch, the more likely the ring will break. The exception to that is with a clutch designed to slip. We don't always follow that rule either and our street trans has been fine but those rings take a lot of load during clutchless shifting. That is why liberty still recommends using the clutch.

As for powershifting yes you can even with a stock unit. Like Dave said it will wear blockers fast but and you have more likely hood of synchro damage. With a face plated unit all you have is a 9 lug ring welded where the synchro teeth were on the gear, an inner and outer hub that is custom where the slider was. Nothing else.

Amber
Old 03-08-2008, 08:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Six Speeds Inc.
Dave,

Don't worry with the noise. It is super scarry the first few times you hear it on the street but you will never hear the noise on the track. Just remember the more you don't use the clutch, the more likely the ring will break. The exception to that is with a clutch designed to slip. We don't always follow that rule either and our street trans has been fine but those rings take a lot of load during clutchless shifting. That is why liberty still recommends using the clutch.

Amber
I havent been brave enough to just straight pull the lever back all at once under throttle. I'm pausing between gears when driving normal/easy to let the RPM's drop and speed match/close and then dropping to the next gear.
Is that hard on the rings also? When I'm WOT, I'm using the clutch. I'll probably be modifying my driving for the next few weeks/months till I get used to it. Later last night, I tried using the clutch AND pausing between gears. Seemed to work better yet. Its just a bit slower. There's always run
1st to 4500rpm and hit 5th
Old 03-08-2008, 08:44 AM
10 Second Club

I'm not offically rockin mine yet. I'm doing the install today so I'll let ya know but I'm sure it'll ROCK. As far as Amber and the rest of the Six Speed Inc. team go, they definately ROCK. I had my rebuild done over the winter and the service was great. Amber kept in touch with me through the whole build even when I was out of the country. Oh yeah, +1 for a T-shirt Amber, can't wait to see the new design.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:07 AM
TECH Resident

tell me more about these "face plated" tranny's, sound like driving an old munci with every other tooth machined down.lol
i think my stock tranny is wore slap out from all the power shifting, its gettin hard to bang the gears these days, and has alot more vibrations than it used to.lol
Old 03-08-2008, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you're the kind of sick bastard that enjoys driving a locker on the street, then a faceplated trans is for you. 1-4 gears have no syncros or blocker rings to speed match the main shaft to the output shaft. You have to jerk the shifter to get the next gear. Trying to pull the handle easy will result in excess grinding. Do a search, Amber from six speeds inc. had some pics posted a few weeks ago.
You can also go to liberty trans. website for a better explanation of the process.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:50 PM
9 Second Club

Im rocking one of their faceplated units.
pic of the new "synchros":

deffinately takes some getting used to, but its the only option for big power.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:36 PM
TECH Junkie

my rebuild kit is in the mail!

I've pestered Amber a lot lately....I dont think I'll pester for a tshirt...until at least tomorrow hahah
Old 03-09-2008, 03:23 PM
TECH Resident

[QUOTE=DAVESS02;8880086]If you're the kind of sick bastard that enjoys driving a locker on the street, then a faceplated trans is for you. 1-4 gears have no syncros or blocker rings to speed match the main shaft to the output shaft. You have to jerk the shifter to get the next gear. Trying to pull the handle easy will result in excess grinding. Do a search, Amber from six speeds inc. had some pics posted a few weeks ago.
You can also go to liberty trans. website for a better explanation of the process.[/QUOTE

ok i understand the concept, sounds alittle differant way to achieve a clutchless shift than the old school way on the M21 and M22's

what would you call the kind of guy that ran a spool for 3years as a DD and chucked his power steering pump for weight reduction?...........
Old 03-09-2008, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[/QUOTE
ok i understand the concept, sounds alittle differant way to achieve a clutchless shift than the old school way on the M21 and M22's

what would you call the kind of guy that ran a spool for 3years as a DD and chucked his power steering pump for weight reduction?...........[/QUOTE]
You da man!!!
Old 03-09-2008, 10:39 PM
TECH Resident

lol i was hoping for somethin worse than sick basterd. hahaha i have went back to a spool for my DD as my violant clutch dont seem to like posi's, but i opt to keep my power steering these days.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

so amber pm me with a price on what you would recomend to freshin up my wore out tranny, it still works fine, dont jump out of gear or anything just gettin pretty hard to power shift these days.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

I had my transmission built by Six Speeds Inc. and have had zero problems with it since the install. Bonnie and, I can't remember the other woman's name, are very nice and helpful as well as Amber. I highly recommend them and their work, and I shipped mine all the way from NC. Great work. Oh, and what's this about a free t-shirt?! That would be nice.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gold98Z28
so amber pm me with a price on what you would recomend to freshin up my wore out tranny, it still works fine, dont jump out of gear or anything just gettin pretty hard to power shift these days.
Amber will probably be back on the boards in the next day or so....baby Benjamin seems to want to get out of that womb soon.

Quick Reply: Anybody rockin a SixSpeedInc tranny? Other members reply