LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

Question for TSP, Props to SDPC

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post Question for TSP, Props to SDPC

I purchased the 383 Eagle Forged rotating assembly w/ Diamond Pistons a couple of months ago from TSP. Since then I have started the build and not had many problems at all so far until last week when a piston ring broke during installation. The rings that came with the 383 kit are Total Seal File-to-Fit rings. The ring snapped very easily leading me to think it was probably a manufacturers defect and not due to the way it was being installed, since the other 7 rings went on just fine.

I called TSP the next day to see if I could get another ring shipped only to be told that they do not sell individual rings because Total Seal wouldn't sell them individual rings. I do not remember which TSP representative I spoke with at the time, but I have talked to several of them in the past month.

I was not very pleased when I was told that I would have to buy another WHOLE piston ring kit ($180 + shipping) when all I needed was a ring set for a single piston. I thought this was ridiculous seeing as how I had spent nearly $4,000 on TSP parts in the past 2 months.

I called several friends to see what, if anything, could be done to avoid the cost of a new piston ring kit. After a couple calls I spoke to a friend who had built his corvette several months ago and he purchased all his parts from SDparts.com (Scoggin-Dickey). He told them my situation and gave them the info on the rings I needed. I called Chris @ SDPC later that day to have him tell me that he would sell me an individual ring and that Total Seal would sell individual rings as well.

Sure enough, I paid for a set of rings for a single piston and it showed up 3 days later in the mail packaged just as it left Total Seal in a package espically made and marked for a single piston set.

I am not bashing TSP, I would just like to know why I was lied to and why no one there was really willing to help me when I was in a jam after I have spent a pretty good chunk of money with you guys. I'm pretty sure I am not the only person who has called requesting a replacement ring for a 3.905 bore. Maybe I am crazy for thinking that it would be cool to open a box and send a valued customer a spare ring......?? I'm sorry if my thinking is outlandish.

Thanks a lot to Chris @ SDPC for all your help.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:42 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

David,

I am sorry that we weren't able to get you fixed up on a ringset for a single piston. I personally have called our Total Seal rep for 5-6 customers in the past year looking for a single ringset only to be told that it would cost the same for a ringset to go in a single hole as it would be for all eight cylinders. Therefore, we typcally tell customers that it is not feasible to get a single pistons ringset. I even have had a customer recieve a set of rings with a top ring missing and I had to purchase a complete ringset to get him fixed up.

Please don't think we were somehow lying to you or blowing you off. We simply pass along the information we are told by the manufacturer. We are in business to make money by selling parts. If we don't sell parts, we don't stay in business. Simple as that. I apologize for not being able to get a single piston ringset and for not allowing Matt to agree to lie to UPS to have them cover the cost of a ringset. (We just don't do business that way.) However, I hope we can make it up to you down the road.

Jon Reynolds
Texas Speed & Performance
Old 09-03-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm sorry I put Matt on the spot. The UPS story was just something I came up with out of anger that they damaged a reluctor wheel on a perfect LS1 crankshaft that I sent to someone two months ago and then denied all liability even though it was packed in loads of bubble wrap, but then arrived to the buyer in a totally different box. I just saw the opportunity to get even but eventually realized that it wasn't the right way to take out my agression.

FYI, MY cost of the replacement set of rings for a single piston was $23.65, which was discounted from the list price. Thats hardly $180, for the whole kit. I have included a picture of the reciept so you can see for yourself along with a picture of the Part Numbered Box that the single ring was shipped in. I was told that the "1" that is marked on the box, indicates a set of rings for a single piston.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:14 AM
FormerVendor

I am/was not calling you a liar. I am sure that they do exist. I am just telling you that our distributor does NOT carry single piston ringsets. Therefore, in order to get us a single they would split a set of eight and charging us the price for the whole set. I can not charge you the price for single when we are being charged for a set of eight. As much as I want to make every sale, if I am going to loose money on it, I would rather not sell it. Don't take it as TSP lying to you or not wanting your business we simply couldn't get the part you were needing at a reasonable price.

Jon Reynolds
Old 09-05-2008, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So TSP doesn't use Total Seal Direct, but some other 3rd party supplier instead? Its hard for me to believe that you couldn't get what I needed seeing as how you describe yourself as "The Largest Distributor for LS-x Engines in the US." I felt like you guys were very helpful when I was ready to make a large purchase, but when I ran into a little problem and needed help, I was brushed off to the side, not just with "We don't have the part", but you also offered no suggestion whatsoever other than "buy another whole ring kit from us". You said this isn't true, but I have recieved a couple of PM's from viewers of this thread that have claimed you did the same type of thing to them as well. Perhaps they are true, perhaps not.

Well, its all water under the bridge now anyway. I thank you for the parts I have ordered from you thus far and for your competitive pricing, but my better judgement is telling me to go with another supplier from now on. I have expierenced what 100% Customer Satisfaction is now, and I think i'll stay with the supplier that it came from.

Thanks again,
David
Old 09-05-2008, 03:03 PM
FormerVendor

I am sure if you talked with someone else looking for a single ring then we weren't able to get them one either. You are no different than any other customer looking to purchase a product from us. If I can not get it for someone else, I can no get it from you. I am glad SDPC got you fixed up. I agree we should just agree to disagree. Good luck with your project in the future.

Jon
Old 09-05-2008, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
I agree we should just agree to disagree. Good luck with your project in the future.
Deal, and Thank You.