LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Getting Screwed on the Power Steering Hose Recall

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Getting Screwed on the Power Steering Hose Recall

So, after seeing the rash of car fires due to leaky power steering hoses, on Monday, I call the dealer to get scheduled for the recall work to be done. The guy tells me they can get me in Wednesday morning, to which I agree.

Now, for us to get the car in is a big deal because we live up in the mountains, 60 miles from the nearest dealer. Because of where we live is why I wanna get the hose taken care of: It gets COLD up here in the winter. Now, since we live in Southern Califorina, it occurred to me that the dealer may not be familiar with, or understand the nature of this recall, and thus have the parts on hand to do it. So, I call back today to confirm those things and, in addition to being told that my appointment wasn't in the book, the service writer said my car wasn't eligible for the recall. His "current data" said that my VIN was not in the block of recalled vehicles. He was nice about it and explained how the recall process works, and then gave me the customer service # to Chevrolet so I could see what they can do.

I call Chevrolet, and the woman was very nice. She researched my VIN and said that was in the block of cars eligible, but that since it's not a "recall" per se, they could only fix it if it exhibited the leaking behavior. Apparently, this is not a recall at all (she said it's not a safety issue), but a "Customer Service Campaign" to address this issue as it comes up. I tried to explain that a potential engine fire is a safety issue, but I lost that argument. She did open a file for this and documented our discussion. She said I should brind the car into the dealer and get it diagnosed. If the hose has a leak, they'll take care of the issue. If not, I'm SOL.

At this point, I'm not very comfortable letting my wife drive this car, let alone putting my 3 year-old son in it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I can do here?
Old 03-23-2010, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy the parts yourself and fix it.

I'm not quite sure which hose it is, some are a PITA to get to. I feel your uneasiness to put your child into it - it's worth a few dollars for the peace of mind IMO.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

It's sounds like the problem they use to have back in the day with the Fiero's. I'm not sure how many fires it took before they did a recall with those. All i can say is make sure that ANYONE that had a fire report it to the NHTSA. I'm sure even with a few they will take some sort of action cause the possibility of serious injury or loss of life.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Regular

I guess it technically isn't a recall. Just looked at the letter I got in the mail and it doesn't say it's a recall.

I can post a copy of the letter I got. If that will help you.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:27 PM
TECH Regular

I think they have to drop the steering or something. Cause when I brought it in the steering wheel was a little off center (from the ISS replacement) Then when I got it back from getting this repaired it is dead on center.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

If you haven't had an issue with it I wouldn't worry a whole lot about it. Your VIN isn't within the certain block so it must be okay. It gets a lot colder here and they won't replace mine either and its within the block. You probably seen this info but I'll post it just in case someone else hasn't

Tech Service Bulletin # 060232014 POWER STEERING FLUID LEAK

Condition
Certain 2006 model Chevrolet Impala and Monte Carlo vehicles equipped with a V6 or V8 engine, and 2005 and 2006 model year Pontiac Grand Prix vehicles equipped with a V8 engine may have a condition in which the power steering cooler line may leak or split. When these vehicles are started in cold weather, the pressure on the hose is substantially higher than in warmer weather and may exceed the strength of the power steering hose or clamps. If this were to occur, the driver would likely notice fluid spotting under the vehicle when the vehicle is parked and a decrease in the power steering assist. If enough fluid were lost, damage to the power steering pump could occur.

Correction
Dealers are to replace the power steering hose assembly on vehicles with a V8 engine, or replace a length of hose and clamps on vehicles with a V6 engine.

Vehicles Involved
Involved are certain 2006 model Chevrolet Impala and Monte Carlo vehicles equipped with a V6 or V8 engine, and 2005 and 2006 model year Pontiac Grand Prix vehicles equipped with a V8 engine, and built within these VIN breakpoints:

Pontiac
Grand Prix
Old 03-23-2010, 08:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Take it to a different dealer mine is getting replaced Saturday
Old 03-23-2010, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

theres only certain cars that need to get it replace. just a time frame of the hoses that were made werent made good or something. but i wouldnt blame u i would want to get it replace too
Old 03-23-2010, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine leaks, and i'm in Miami,FL....Go figure!
Old 03-23-2010, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jabronie78
I guess it technically isn't a recall. Just looked at the letter I got in the mail and it doesn't say it's a recall.

I can post a copy of the letter I got. If that will help you.

Thanks for posting that. I may print it out and bring it in. I suppose every little bit helps, right?

Originally Posted by ohyeahjay
If you haven't had an issue with it I wouldn't worry a whole lot about it. Your VIN isn't within the certain block so it must be okay. It gets a lot colder here and they won't replace mine either and its within the block. You probably seen this info but I'll post it just in case someone else hasn't

Tech Service Bulletin # 060232014 POWER STEERING FLUID LEAK

Condition
Certain 2006 model Chevrolet Impala and Monte Carlo vehicles equipped with a V6 or V8 engine, and 2005 and 2006 model year Pontiac Grand Prix vehicles equipped with a V8 engine may have a condition in which the power steering cooler line may leak or split. When these vehicles are started in cold weather, the pressure on the hose is substantially higher than in warmer weather and may exceed the strength of the power steering hose or clamps. If this were to occur, the driver would likely notice fluid spotting under the vehicle when the vehicle is parked and a decrease in the power steering assist. If enough fluid were lost, damage to the power steering pump could occur.

Correction
Dealers are to replace the power steering hose assembly on vehicles with a V8 engine, or replace a length of hose and clamps on vehicles with a V6 engine.

Vehicles Involved
Involved are certain 2006 model Chevrolet Impala and Monte Carlo vehicles equipped with a V6 or V8 engine, and 2005 and 2006 model year Pontiac Grand Prix vehicles equipped with a V8 engine, and built within these VIN breakpoints:

Pontiac
Grand Prix
Actually, mine IS within the block, according to Chevrolet customer service. Not sure why the dealer had different information, though.

Originally Posted by Mels SS
Take it to a different dealer mine is getting replaced Saturday
That's my next option. Unfortunately, the dealer where I had a service connection closed up last year, and I don't have a ton of options nearby.

Originally Posted by mike690003
My car was bought in Hollywood, FL! I just learned that today when I talked to customer service!
Old 03-23-2010, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mike690003
was that the leak that you thought was an oil leak?
Old 03-24-2010, 10:37 AM
Teching In

Same thing happened to me LS1 Racing, I called the customer service line and got the same BS and they opened a log on my issue but nothing further. I haven't tried the dealership. However, I did have a few hoses fixed in my power steering a few months back before I knew about the recall. Luckily it was covered under my warranty.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

Thats really weird their giving you such a hard time.I work for a Chevy dealer and they come in all the time and we just get em done. The campaign number is #09132A It does show as a customer satisfaction recall. Any questions just ask and Ill see what else I can find out.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:49 PM
TECH Resident

I had mine replaced, took 5 hours, they drop the back of the cradle, be sure to double check your alignment after, I had to go back and spend another hour there for them to recenter the steering wheel. This is a PITA job for the LS4 as this hose is wedged in so be prepared to waste a day.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by monte_with_a_LS4
was that the leak that you thought was an oil leak?
Yeah,

I looked at the fluid color and it is darker than my motor oil.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 91LT16SpeedFormula
Thats really weird their giving you such a hard time.I work for a Chevy dealer and they come in all the time and we just get em done. The campaign number is #09132A It does show as a customer satisfaction recall. Any questions just ask and Ill see what else I can find out.
I had #9132 but not "A". Anyway, I now have an appointment for next Tuesday to drop the car off and get it "diagnosed." If there's any kind of leak, they'll go ahead and take care of it. I have no idea if it's leaking, though, as we have a gravel driveway and no garage. The PS isn't low, either. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Originally Posted by EmersonHart13
I had mine replaced, took 5 hours, they drop the back of the cradle, be sure to double check your alignment after, I had to go back and spend another hour there for them to recenter the steering wheel. This is a PITA job for the LS4 as this hose is wedged in so be prepared to waste a day.
I'm prepared to leave the car with them for the day, but I hope I don't get it back with the steering fucked up.

Thanks for pointing that out so I know what to look for!
Old 03-24-2010, 04:40 PM
Teching In

I have called GM and two dealers in the area. All of them acted like the didnt know what I was talking about. They said no recalls for my vin. On anouther site I seen someone post what vins were affected, and mine was in it. I dont understand it. I am scared to drive it. I have heard of others catching fire. Can anyone help me?????
Old 03-24-2010, 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ji22my
I have called GM and two dealers in the area. All of them acted like the didnt know what I was talking about. They said no recalls for my vin. On anouther site I seen someone post what vins were affected, and mine was in it. I dont understand it. I am scared to drive it. I have heard of others catching fire. Can anyone help me?????
You can do what I did. Call Chevrolet Customer Service at (800) 222-1020. After you do the recall check in the main menu, hit "0" to talk to an rep.

You can also call the person to whom I spoke. Her name is Mollie and the number is (866) 790-5600, ext 11359. She'll verify that the VIN # qualifies and maybe she can help you that way.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
You can do what I did. Call Chevrolet Customer Service at (800) 222-1020. After you do the recall check in the main menu, hit "0" to talk to an rep.

You can also call the person to whom I spoke. Her name is Mollie and the number is (866) 790-5600, ext 11359. She'll verify that the VIN # qualifies and maybe she can help you that way.

Thanks. I will call tomorrow. GM first, then I will try Mollie. Is that at a dealer?
Old 03-24-2010, 06:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ji22my
Thanks. I will call tomorrow. GM first, then I will try Mollie. Is that at a dealer?
No...It's there customer service center in Detroit...Or somewhere like that!

Quick Reply: Getting Screwed on the Power Steering Hose Recall