LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Suspension tricks to limit weight transfer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 07:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension tricks to limit weight transfer?

As we all know traction becomes an issue when we mash the gas, and the weight transfer is pretty severe. Has anyone come up with a good method to limit weight transfer at the track? For example, I was browsing through an off-road products catalog recently and there is a company that makes a heavy duty webbed strap (like a Simpson 5-point harness lapbelt strap) to limit suspension travel (extension) on a sand rail. I have rear airbags in the Buick, but that isn't an option on the LS4s. I remember trying rear spring blockers on my hopped up '99 supercharged Regal years ago (I would jack up the car at the track and shove them in, then take them out at the end of the day) and they worked somewhat okay, but I had hoped someone might have discovered something more effective. Again, this would be more of a "track only" device, not every day.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:11 PM
TECH Resident

I had spring blocks in the rear, with the tires at like 27 psi(8" wide z rated summer tires) and no rear seat, it hooked up better then i ever thought. I'm trying different spring ratios right now so i don't have to use the spring blocks. I've seen a gtp with air bags in the springs and pumps them up when hes at the track. Taking as much weight away from the rear is key.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

I believe it's called the cable mod. It ties the rear suspension to the body and "stretches" it so that it can't compress. I'll look it up on clubgp and see what I can find.

*EDIT* Got it. Here you go. http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.as...mode=1&smode=1