LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Fuel Injector Cleaners - should we use them, and which ones?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 02:50 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Fuel Injector Cleaners - should we use them, and which ones?

Was thinking of running some fuel injector/engine treatment stuff through the gas tank, since I have about 56,000 miles on her...

anyone have any opinions about if we need to bother doing this or not?? and/or which ones to use or not use??

I've heard good stuff about the Lucas Oil Fuel Treatment (http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...tid=2&loc=show)

but what about any of the others that are out there? i.e. Gumout Fuel Injector Cleaner, GUNK Fuel Injector Cleaner, STP, etc etc??

TIA!!!

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 08-03-2008, 03:20 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

yeah, was thinkin of doin that! forgot about it till I was half way home tho... so I didn't get any... blah...

I posted that info in a gto forum too.. a couple of gto guys did it and noticed an improvement...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
Old 08-03-2008, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read the "sticky" on sea foam, f.w.i.w.
We have 93 octane Ethanol gas here in the U.S.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:59 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

yeah, not into doing the whole seafoam thing...

Old 08-03-2008, 06:03 PM
TECH Resident

seafoaming the gas and seafoaming the engine are 2 TOTALLY different things.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:11 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

so, is seafoaming the "gas" (pouring it in the gas tank) good for everything??

will I need to change my oil right away / afterwards?? cuz I just changed it a couple weeks ago...

Old 08-03-2008, 06:18 PM
TECH Resident

you can run it through the fuel system(put in gas tank, cleans fuel lines/injectors and intake valves), in the oil(cleans the crank case and bottom end of engine), and the intake which will clean the combustion chambers and intake manifold(some). The one where its run through the intake is the one that usually gives the best results. That's the one that smokes.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not just save the money and get the injectors cleaned and tested on a machine ? :-\
Old 08-03-2008, 09:13 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

ummm... it's gonna cost me MORE money to do it that way, aint it?? so how is that saving me money... hahahahahaaa....

and screw that, I'm not taking out all my injectors...

I'm looking for info about stuff I can just pour in my gas tank and be done with it...

so far, it's looking like the Lucas Oil stuff is the way to go...

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 08-03-2008 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:22 PM
TECH Resident

I'm thinking it would cost more to have them checked and cleaned.....

I'm a firm believer in running some STP fuel additive injector cleaner about every 6,000miles (2 oil changes.)

In an older truck I bought, I ran a bottle of it with every tank for 6 bottles... and it ended up helping me 3-4mpg... older vehicles with prolly some crappy fuel.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I use the Chevron "Proguard" fuel injector cleaner every few months. It keep my car running smoothly. I poured a bottle in my 07, because I don't drive it a lot and want the fuel system to remain top notch.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:54 AM
On The Tree

I used this.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:11 AM
Staging Lane

Cool

Originally Posted by neilownz
I would say it's a waste of time/money if you're using premium grade and it's running good.

Or do that 2 cycle oil thing and tell us how that works hah.
Who sells that full synthetic 2 cycle oil? I only come across the blend. Where can I get it?
Old 08-04-2008, 11:19 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

guys in the gto forum and that other one where the info originated, say they found it at a Wal-Mart...

Old 08-04-2008, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

btw- the GM fuel system treatment is Chevron Tecron fuel system cleaner, just 2x the price.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
ummm... it's gonna cost me MORE money to do it that way, aint it?? so how is that saving me money... hahahahahaaa....

and screw that, I'm not taking out all my injectors...

I'm looking for info about stuff I can just pour in my gas tank and be done with it...

so far, it's looking like the Lucas Oil stuff is the way to go...
I meant save the money you would use for injector cleaner. I think its a waste of money i've had several vechicles running the shittest gas imaginable and never had a problem with injectors there easily removable and testable. But on my monte carlo i only use techron premium so i'm sure i wont have any problem with glogged injectors... and to have all the injectors cleaned is 100 dollars. Someone mentioned that they put in treatment every 6k at about 4/5 dollars a bottle depending on the "****" you buy it comes out to 80 dollars or so and i'll trust a dealership machine built for cleaning injectors then a miracle in a bottle.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:53 PM
TECH Resident

So did you end up doing this Lew? How'd it turn out?
Old 07-07-2009, 02:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Fuel Add

http://www.google.com/products?q=bes...title&resnum=4

Redline makes one SI-1 Fuel System Cleaner 4 and 14 oz. $4.95-$8.95, I just used Gumout Regane and it is supposed to be good for 10 fillups.

Redline
Cleans injectors to nearly 100 percent efficiency in one treatment.

Red Line's fuel injector cleaner is a concentrated package of the most powerful high-temperature detergents available, to clean gasoline fuel injectors and intake valves. It can clean injectors to nearly 100 percent efficiency in one treatment. The cleansing effect of these detergents can raise fuel economy approximately 12 percent or more, depending on the condition of the injectors. Red Line fuel injector cleaner also contains a synthetic upper cylinder lubricant, which will help clean and lubricate intake valves, pollution control valves, combustion chambers and carburetors, and will protect the fuel system from rust. Here's a three I've used.

Lucas
Cleans and lubricates carburetors, injectors and valve seats. Lubricates rings for longer cylinder life. Treats one tank up to 25 gallons. Decreases pinging, dieseling emission and hesitations. This Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner is one of many top quality items in our Auto Fuel Additives department.

Gumout Regane
Gumout Regane Fuel System Cleaner restores maximum power and performance in one tankful and lasts for 3,000 miles! Cleans the entire fuel system, including valves, ports, combustion chamber, cylinder heads, piston tops, fuel lines, and fuel injectors/carburetors. Eliminates knock and ping, eliminates hesitation and improves acceleration while helping to improve gas mileage. One bottle treats up to 21 gallons.
* 12 oz.
* Maximizes fuel economy
* Cleans the entire fuel system
* Prevents future deposit build-up
* Restores lost horse power
* Removes water from gasoline
* Bottle

Seafoam
Sea Foam SF16 - 16 FL Oz. (1 PT)

Sea Foam Auto Marine Fleet - Motor Treatment - for Gas and Diesel Engines. Sea Foam can be used to clean: Injectors, Carburetor, Carbon as well as stabilize fuel, Free Lifters / Rings, De-Ice, Lube the Upper Cylinders and Dries Oil and Fuel. Helps pass Emission Tests as well as curing hesitations, pinging and rough Idle.

Sea Foam is a 100% pure petroleum product for use in all gasoline and diesel type engines, both 2 and 4 Cycle and is Oxygen Sensor safe. It cleans dirty engine parts internally by removing harmful gums, varnish and carbon. WORKS AND PERFORMS INSTANTLY. Suggested to use every 2,000 to 5,000 miles for peak performance.

- WHEN ADDED TO CRANKCASE (OIL) - Frees sticky lifters & Rings. Cleans dirty parts. Removes moisture. Increases RPM's vacuum & compression. Cleans PCV valve systems. ((One pint treats 10 quarts of oil (avg. 1 oz. per qt.) For use in all motor oils including synthetic.))

- WHEN ADDED TO GAS OR DIESEL FUEL TANK - Cleans fuel injectors & carburetor jets. Cleans carbon as you drive. Lubricates upper cylinders. De-ices and removes moisture. Diesel fuel conditioner & anti gel. Stabilizes fuel. ((One Pint treats 8-25 gallons of fuel (avg. 1 oz. per gallon))

- WHEN USED THROUGH INJECTION OR CARBURETOR - Cleans carbon build up. Gives smoother idle. Cures hesitations & pings. Cleans intake valves & pistons. Cleans catalytic converter odors. Restores power & pickup.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

i used the lucas stuff. i didnt notice any change but it was cheap.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:29 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

wow, old thread!

nah, I use 2-stroke synthetic marine NMMA & TC-W3 spec'd oil in my gas at every fill up... 1 oz per 4-5 gallons of gas... cleans injectors, engine, runs smoother, gettin' more mpg and also more power too since the engine internals are all kept clean and get better combustion...

using the NMMA/TC-W3 rated oil also:

lubricates the fuel pump/seals/injectors.
cleans the fuel system and scavenge water that ethanol in the gas attracts.
provides a film of protection in our fuel system to stop corrosion.
cleans the spark plugs/valves/combustion chambers.
cleans the ring packs
leaves a nice film on the cylinder walls to eliminate cold start metal wear.

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 07-07-2009 at 05:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Fuel Injector Cleaners - should we use them, and which ones?