LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Thorley Header Project Update

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 02:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what do I need to make sure happens when I get mine put on? I don't want to run into the same issue.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

Anyone have any dyno numbers?
Old 04-13-2010, 11:59 AM
Staging Lane

Just picked mine up from the shop after the header install. Even better sound now from the exhaust and really smooth throttle response. I can definatly feel the extra pull, so the headers really seemed to have added some performance. Will have to wait a few weeks for another dyno tune.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:53 PM
Launching!

Here, maybe this will get you guys off your asses and get us some pics posted of those headers installed.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice! Good to see that you are still an active user, so many arn"t, soon to be me I'm affraid.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

there are pics of them installed in this thread.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
there are pics of them installed in this thread.
Only one guy posted some that I had seen. I would have thought more would have posted pics. Just realized these headers are kind of a shorty header. Waiting on dyno results.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

I have the motor outta the car right now at some point I'll bolt up the headers snap some pics for fun
Old 04-16-2010, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

Default The latest on the whistle.....

Well guys, coming to find out now the whistle/exhaust leak sound many of us are getting is going to take some more investigation. Yesterday took the Monte in to try track down the leak. We couldn't find anything on first look, so it just so happened that this place has a smoke machine that can shoot smoke out of a hose, just perfect for trying to find exhaust leaks. So we unbolted right infront of the cat and shot the headers chuck full of smoke...

Our results..... Not even the smallest puff of smoke coming from anywhere from the headers. Not the exhaust manifold area, flex pipe, place where we welded the headers to my Hogan DP, NOTHING!!!! These things are as air-tight as it gets.... As much smoke as we put up there, if there was a hole, we would have seen it!!!!!! At least for me, the whistle I'm getting IS NOT a leak...

So, got a hold of Nick at DT and told him about our little finding and he seems baffled too. He says the only thing he can think of is since the flex pipe is made of so much thinner material then the rest of the headers, this sound may be coming from there. Not a leak as he puts it, just a different resonation with the thinner material. So I asked him if it does come to be this, will the only solution be to cut out the flex and fit in just a regular piece of pipe.. He said pretty much..

He says they are doing an install of these on a W-body next week and they will see if they come up with the same problem and see what happends from there if they do..
Old 04-16-2010, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gulfstreamcpt
Well guys, coming to find out now the whistle/exhaust leak sound many of us are getting is going to take some more investigation. Yesterday took the Monte in to try track down the leak. We couldn't find anything on first look, so it just so happened that this place has a smoke machine that can shoot smoke out of a hose, just perfect for trying to find exhaust leaks. So we unbolted right infront of the cat and shot the headers chuck full of smoke...

Our results..... Not even the smallest puff of smoke coming from anywhere from the headers. Not the exhaust manifold area, flex pipe, place where we welded the headers to my Hogan DP, NOTHING!!!! These things are as air-tight as it gets.... As much smoke as we put up there, if there was a hole, we would have seen it!!!!!! At least for me, the whistle I'm getting IS NOT a leak...

So, got a hold of Nick at DT and told him about our little finding and he seems baffled too. He says the only thing he can think of is since the flex pipe is made of so much thinner material then the rest of the headers, this sound may be coming from there. Not a leak as he puts it, just a different resonation with the thinner material. So I asked him if it does come to be this, will the only solution be to cut out the flex and fit in just a regular piece of pipe.. He said pretty much..

He says they are doing an install of these on a W-body next week and they will see if they come up with the same problem and see what happends from there if they do..
Thanks, yours whistles around 3000RPM's?
Old 04-16-2010, 02:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by williamGT
Thanks, yours whistles around 3000RPM's?
Yep.... That's about right. Starting at about 1/2 throttle and on to WOT the whole time I'm in the gas at these throttle settings is when I get it...
Old 04-16-2010, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gulfstreamcpt
Yep.... That's about right. Starting at about 1/2 throttle and on to WOT the whole time I'm in the gas at these throttle settings is when I get it...
What about down shifting to?
Old 04-16-2010, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

What about down shifting to?
Yep... Pretty much any time I'm 3500 rpm or more I get the noise....
Old 04-16-2010, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just tell people it's Turboed. lol...

Seriously, I bet wrapping thex-over eliminates most of the whistle. Worth a try.

-Mike
Old 04-16-2010, 08:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by oshia86
Only one guy posted some that I had seen. I would have thought more would have posted pics. Just realized these headers are kind of a shorty header. Waiting on dyno results.
Here is a few for you

Old 04-16-2010, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't really care about the whistle anymore, If something big happens ''we got warranty''.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:09 PM
12 Second Club

I don't really care about the whistle anymore, If something big happens ''we got warranty''.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If memory serves me right (I suffer from CRS) when I ordered my down pipe from Hogan there was a $10 upgrade on the flex pipe. When I asked about it they sad it was a double wall (maybe CRS) and that some people would get a whistle with the standard one.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

I think the more I drive it, it actually lessens. Maybe its just me. Its barely noticeable on mind especially with the radio on. Its going back on the hoist in a week or two so I'll check it over again but i'm going to accept it.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:04 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it turns out to be a problem with the flex I would like to see it fixed. I can't stand the sound. If it dissipates that's great I'm fine with it, but these are under warranty I would hope Thorley's would come with a solution to make us happy. Still happy to this point.

Quick Reply: Thorley Header Project Update