LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Looking at getting a gxp?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 05:45 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at getting a gxp?

I love my folks 06 and am thinking about getting one sometime. My biggest concern is gas mileage cause I would like to do headers exhaust and a tune and maybe turn off dod. What do you guys get mileage wise with doing all that? I would probably even be willing to do more as long as when I'm babying it I can get good mpg. I do realize that I will need a beefier tranny to with those mods. thanks
Old 12-15-2009, 09:14 AM
On The Tree

My advice (which some will argue) don't buy it based off gas milage. I love mine and wouldn't get ride of it right now but I knew going into to it these didnt get the greatest fuel milage. I have read some do get better then what I get, which is around 19 mpg but I do alot of city driving. Do some more reading into these car. the headers are in the works, turning off the DOD will only gain if you do city driving. I would keep it if you do more HWY driving. There is a post around here which so people have posted what they have noticed turning there's on and off. but with the mods you listed it doesn't sound like I would be worried with gas..............

with that being said. It is a V8 and I dive mine that way. I wouldn't plain on trying to dive it easy to save on gas. the V8 sound will make you get on it a little more.......

If you get one post pictures. Hope you do there a great car to own
Old 12-15-2009, 02:01 PM
TECH Addict

x2 ^ ...... i have a stock 06 gxp and i get about 270 miles on a tank of gas and i am about 85%city 15% HWY .
Old 12-15-2009, 02:19 PM
Teching In

My biggest concern is gas mileage cause I would like to do headers exhaust and a tune and maybe turn off dod.
If your biggest concern is gas mileage, why would you turn off DOD?

What do you guys get mileage wise with doing all that?
You're not going to get gas mileage numbers with those mods because the headers aren't shipping yet (AFAIK). Stock with just a K&N CAI box, I'm getting about 21 mpg city, and 28-30 highway depending what speed I'm holding at.

I honestly got better gas mileage with my old GTP with the 3800 supercharged. With all my minor bolt ons, I was about the same power level, but I was getting about 22-23 mpg city, and low 30s on the highway. Granted that car made far less power out of boost, so its a trade off.

I do realize that I will need a beefier tranny to with those mods.
I wouldn't really say it would be a requirement at that power level. Unless your tuner goes crazy and kills all of the protection mechanisms for the transmission, you shouldn't be putting THAT much more stress on the tranny.

don't buy it based off gas milage. I love mine and wouldn't get ride of it right now but I knew going into to it these didnt get the greatest fuel milage.
I totally agree with this; these cars really don't get great gas mileage. There are a lot of vehicles and setups you could get that would get you the same power with better gas mileage (granted out of a boosted I4 or V6).
Old 12-15-2009, 04:11 PM
Staging Lane

Okay what kind of mileage do you think I would get with just exhaust and maybe a tune? I would be happy with 25mpg probably I just want a fun car that still gets over 20mpg is my big thing, I wouldn't have to turn dod off just heard some guys getting better without. thanks for all the help though guys.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ak47man90
Okay what kind of mileage do you think I would get with just exhaust and maybe a tune? I would be happy with 25mpg probably I just want a fun car that still gets over 20mpg is my big thing, I wouldn't have to turn dod off just heard some guys getting better without. thanks for all the help though guys.
On the highway, 25 mpg is no problem if you drive it properly. You will NEVER get 20mpg city driving.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Stop and go traffic I got 12-13, with a 50/50 mix and a tune 18-19.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i get about 16.1 to a gallon
i personally cant stand my car, horrible trans im on my 2nd, mine has had so many problems i wont even go into it, i wish i didnt buy mine and i bought that charger srt-8 instead
it looks great but the problems i have makes me want to poop on it
Old 12-15-2009, 08:29 PM
Launching!

I'd leave DOD on. I got 26.7 mpg going to Kentucky at 73mph. There wont be any performance gain from it unless you plan on gutting the valvetrain for a better cam etc.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:36 PM
Teching In

Gas mileage is one thing.

Seriously consider this car's dependability if it is a daily driver.

I am not here to bash GXP's as I own one, but I let the V8, tap shift, rims, and all the other 'performance' accessories cloud my decision.

I also bought mine at a great bargin (but then, you get what you pay for still applies).

All of the GXP's problems are no falicy. These are real issues that will 'nickle and dime' you if you do not get 'one' of the 'good' gxp's...

Brake issues, water pump issues, tire cupping issues, TPMS issues, TRANNY issues (which on a used car = 1/4 of the car's cost or more), TCC issues, etc., etc.,......and I just got a service annoucement today about a leaky power steering pump line that leaks fluid on to hot engine componets. I have had all these problems on my car.

I have never had a Pontiac or a GM car with SO MANY PROBLEMS with in 50k miles....

Do I enjoy the car? Yes, when it's running properly. Is the DOD something I bought this car for? No. But it was a convienent feature. Do I like the looks and the thought of a FWD V8? Sure.

I want to love this car, but I have dumped over $4000 in to a car with less than 50k miles that I just bought 9 months ago. I bought this car from a elderly man who did not beat on it. Still had the plastic on the seats with 22k miles on it when I bought it.

I have never hamered the throttle in this car. Just a daily driver up and down the highway (in no traffic). I only say this to let you know these cars still have a bad track record REGARDLESS of driving habits.

I love the car for what it is, but hate it for everything I thought it would be. Especially reliable.

You may find more comfort in owning the S/C V6 models.

I really think from the threads on MPG, you will average 20-22mpg depending on driving conditions.

Last edited by Tater_Salad; 12-15-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

to avoid all the problems some have had get an 07 or 08 so you can get the powertrain warranty plus those years seem to have less issues anyways.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:15 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah I am starting to realize how many problems these cars have and am wondering of whether or no to risk it. It's just if I do get a car I don't know of much out there like this car, I would go for a g8 but I'm sure insurance would kill me. What did they change in 07?
Old 12-16-2009, 05:24 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tater_Salad

I bought this car from a elderly man who did not beat on it. Still had the plastic on the seats with 22k miles on it when I bought it.

I have never hamered the throttle in this car.

I'm a firm believer that is just as hard on a car too if not worse for them. Gotta clean out the cob webs every so often.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:53 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ak47man90
Yeah I am starting to realize how many problems these cars have and am wondering of whether or no to risk it. It's just if I do get a car I don't know of much out there like this car, I would go for a g8 but I'm sure insurance would kill me. What did they change in 07?
not everyone has had problems, i have a 05 with 90000kms and under $1000 in total for repares between me and the previous owner. That being said, i guess when you buy one of these cars you are really rolling the dice. There are others like me that beat on the car and never have a problem but then there are people like my good friend haha bdyman who has had nothing but problems and hate his car for good reason.

I love my gxp but these cars are like women, you don't know if you got one with problems till you put some miles on it.

Last edited by StealthV8; 12-16-2009 at 06:12 AM.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tater_Salad
Gas mileage is one thing.

Seriously consider this car's dependability if it is a daily driver.

I am not here to bash GXP's as I own one, but I let the V8, tap shift, rims, and all the other 'performance' accessories cloud my decision.

I also bought mine at a great bargin (but then, you get what you pay for still applies).

All of the GXP's problems are no falicy. These are real issues that will 'nickle and dime' you if you do not get 'one' of the 'good' gxp's...

Brake issues, water pump issues, tire cupping issues, TPMS issues, TRANNY issues (which on a used car = 1/4 of the car's cost or more), TCC issues, etc., etc.,......and I just got a service annoucement today about a leaky power steering pump line that leaks fluid on to hot engine componets. I have had all these problems on my car.

I have never had a Pontiac or a GM car with SO MANY PROBLEMS with in 50k miles....

Do I enjoy the car? Yes, when it's running properly. Is the DOD something I bought this car for? No. But it was a convienent feature. Do I like the looks and the thought of a FWD V8? Sure.

I want to love this car, but I have dumped over $4000 in to a car with less than 50k miles that I just bought 9 months ago. I bought this car from a elderly man who did not beat on it. Still had the plastic on the seats with 22k miles on it when I bought it.

I have never hamered the throttle in this car. Just a daily driver up and down the highway (in no traffic). I only say this to let you know these cars still have a bad track record REGARDLESS of driving habits.

I love the car for what it is, but hate it for everything I thought it would be. Especially reliable.

You may find more comfort in owning the S/C V6 models.

I really think from the threads on MPG, you will average 20-22mpg depending on driving conditions.

THANK YOU!!!
finally someone else see this car for being a complete turd
OP save your self the headache and look at something else
Old 12-16-2009, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bdyman
THANK YOU!!!
finally someone else see this car for being a complete turd
OP save your self the headache and look at something else
couldnt agree more

i know a bunch of 07 and 08 owners who have no issues and love their cars. even if they do there is the warranty. you dont always want to make a decision on a few peoples lemons.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

i too took the gamble and lost... its a nice car dont get me wrong, get an 09 cobalt ss (the turbo one) instead same price .. faster imo, stick, and MUCH better gas milage. consider a used g8 gt as well im kicking myself in the *** everyday for not getting one... stay away from these cars its a gm craftmanship fuckup.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:13 AM
TECH Resident

Love my car, but then again I have an 06 with 24K so my low mileage helps me avoid some of the issues along with no track passes. Gas mileage sucks in the city, so don't buy the car if MPGs are in issue to you. If you drive 100 percent highway gas mileage is actually quite good. LOL
Old 12-16-2009, 04:59 PM
Teching In

I'm glad no one took my post as offensive to other GXP owners here.... I was hesitant on writing that, but I wanted to pass some truth on to you...

To really sum everything up in this thread, I think a significant number of owners have been let down, tremedously... I have owned 5 Pontiacs that had no major mechanical issues for well over 130,000 miles. All of my other GM cars/trucks have all lasted over 120,000 miles with no major mechanical issues.

I can handle a few factory recalls or a few 'birthing' problems on a new car design... especially electrical issues... no biggie.

But a failed water pump at 26k miles, and a blown tranny at 50k miles.... and all those other 'little' things....

I really expected a better build quality on GXP branded cars... I guess the G8, Bonneville and Solstice are all doing ok?

It's sad that the car could have been much more with it's base price tag ...once you understand that there were no real 'upgraded options'. All the 'extras' attached to the GXP label were all really cosmetic (brakes, struts, tap shift, an all red led DIC, etc.), excluding the LS4, well... even then, my GMC pick up has practically the same 5.3 engine but is RWD.

Just really ranting now that GM really let me down on this ride... what a shame... it is a cool 'grocery getter'.... if it can make it too the grocery store...
Old 12-16-2009, 05:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DP 08 GXP
couldnt agree more

i know a bunch of 07 and 08 owners who have no issues and love their cars. even if they do there is the warranty. you dont always want to make a decision on a few peoples lemons.
jokingly: how many is a 'bunch'? I'd like to meet up with a few local GXP owners in my neck of the woods... I've only seen two in my immediate area...(not calling you out, I just had a chuckle when I read that)...

...but then touch back on the 'reliablity' issue... it's all good that there is still a warranty in place, but that doesn't account for lost time, getting the car to the garage (even if GM tows it), getting a loaner (if they even offer one)... etc., etc.... How many times is some one willing to deal with these issues when you need a reliable daily driver?

I am not even trying to persude the OP, but to give him some real viable info on these cars.

If my car was perfect, I'd be in here touting that too....

I'm not calling the car a 'complete turd' in my post like bdyman, but I understand his frustrations.

With all of the service annoucements, and known failures and fixes, IMO I would not call that a 'couple of lemons'...

I agree the 07/08 models have addressed 'some' of the issues. But the biggie' is that they were still using the same tranny's and not even upgrading the ones on their shelves...