LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Project: GXP-TN2O UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 11:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project: GXP-TN2O UPDATE

Hey guys....glad to be getting back in here...its been busy this winter with a bunch of cases and crazy nights at work and taking breaks from tuning and building to get back to family matters....

Newayz...cant believe its this close guys...the season is upon us....we still have some weeks to go but, the days are getting longer!!

Just wanted to chime in and give an update of what is to come of GXP-TN2O.

RECAP:
As of right now, as I stated in prior thread, there were some snaggs with the MAF type and location, O2 sensor not switching even when replaced with a UNIV. Bosch, and the tuner having to load custom HP tuners BETA programming into the ECU due to the car cutting power up top, in and out, what he says, "Is pulling timing from the torque management and not showing up in the tune; it's hiding!") and my oil pump leaking at the housing where the T-returns meet it. And further, what Ive spoken to some of you about and had great help in finding a solution, the PCV...

To go over those above, we were doing an LS7 MAF, with a 4" housing, unscreened and that turned out to be too choppy down low for air flow and kept slamming the car really rich AFR...So per my tuner, we switched to an LS2 MAF with a 3.75", screened housing and I decided to move it out of the fender well, closer to the intake elbow leading into the TB. Hoping this will be a lil better...we will loose some freq. up top but , will still have enough and have better low end air flow quality down low.

We have had to make the 5 wire harness that we all have, into an LS7 5 wire harness at first by reading diagrams and switching the wire locations on the harness....since we have had to change again to the LS2 MAF....I had a company called Ballenger Motorsports make a custom 6" jumper/adapter from an LS7(which is the re-wired LS4 5 wire) into an LS2....I had to change some reducer and T-bolt clamp sizes but, it fits very nicely at this point....just hopeful it works. I have kept my LS7 4" SNL housing as well, in hopes that with the new location of the MAF, that could be the fix to the low end air quaility, or lack of flow; thinking not enough straight pipe in front of the unscreened LS7 to obtain an accurate reading. So as of right now....running on a speed density tune if you will.....

And in regards to the O2 sensor, the factory DENSO went out early in the N2O days before the turbo so, didnt think anything of it until we needed it to tune in the turbo with this ECU. Not like the 04/05-07's, this LS4 has the E67 ECU, so no refrence and not the same as most all of yours running a 3BAR tune or set up.......you guys remember me posting on how crazy tuning has been, and even some of you Ive talked to over the last year or so.......HP has been great with us!! But, we installed a UVIV. Bosch...NO LUCK...lil better but, not switching...so now, I went with a brand new OE, dircect fit DENSO to eliminate any variables...hoping this works...cause if not, Im still running around in open loop on a speed density tune....and that means I CANT BOOST!!...much at least...im running on a custom VE table that is simulated from software due to this car just not having one!! Thank God I have a Delphi elec. engineer as a tuner!! LOL...

As far as the BETA...HP is working very closely with us as they have nothing planned for tuning on this ECU in the plans for yet another 2 years....so all they can do is help us as we ask and let us log the dog **** out of what we are doing....They give us some BETA to load in to hopefully Kombat the power sputter up top, in and out loss....tuner says its torque mgnt. so we are going with that....Some of you are probably wondering why havent we found out sooner and got to find out why this stuff hasnt worked yet if it was loaded....Well...cant see if the BETA is going to work unless we can go into closed loop frome the O2 switching properly, and we cant just run on MAF and do it due to the LS2 was not in the car the last time we tuned.....so we left off right there...it was ranning and winter was upon us....tuner said we would not be able to see if the BETA worked due to running on the open loop and no MAF which puts the car in a "Halfed torque value mode" So NO GO to see if it works...one thing scratches the others back on this one....

SO NOW...the oil pump! Got STS to send me a brand new one from another manuf. they said I had one that was from a bad batch they thought they gotten rid of...but this one is on point...no issues so far!!

The PCV....if some of you dont know...i am returning oil from the rearend from a pump....that pump is fed back to the top of my filler cap with a billet quick release adapter....most front mounts use this to put a small filter on and vent crank case pressure that way...I CANT DO THAT...I could but, would have to change the whole return set up around, NOT WORTH IT...so, STS sent us their PCV kit and that didnt do the trick under high boost loads up top...I would loose oil out of my oil pan gasket leak and/or the top of the engine before we started chasing these "oil gophers" as I call them LOL....SO SOLUTION: 3-way, vented, one way check valve filter catch can that is baffled and incorparates this check valve at the intake manifold refrence line allowing vacuum in the system as it operates in negative/vacuum pressure to circulate air and get rid of oil as a regular catch can does but, the check valve will not allow positive pressure, or "boost" into the catch can where it would then be vented out the one way positive press switch activated filter at the top of the can and creat a boost leak due to being refrenced at the intake manifold up top like all of our cars do, POST MAF and TB. This will allow the other two lines going to the valve cover vent leads in front and back, to be routed back to the catch can to vent positive pressure in the crankcase, flow into the catch can, and vent out the top in a 3" ID whole with that one way check valve filter....(SO THE DESIGN I HAVE AND THE THEORY GO) lol....and replacing the oil pan gasket!! which brings me to the UP TO DATE STUFF RIGHT NOW!!

As of today and progress so far....Going to be cleaing the system out/off, examine flanges and welds, turbo, pump, recondition any parts ie, tbolt clamps, adjust as needed, etc... first things first after winter since im driving her in this stuff.....

Right now, my tuner is in Italy on business, he is excited to get back at this thing and iron out the above issues....probably sometime late this month or early March! Going to be going to the dyno to do the top end stuff if all goes to plan! I have to get some numbers together...

Gotta drop the new injectors in...tune that idol quality...

Im wrapping my exhaust pipe to keep that exhaust velocity:heat high to help spooling...Have to tune for those changes...so looking to do that right out the gate as well; its ordered...

Then, per my tuner...going to tune the system first before she gets a complete tranny rebuild from Dave at TEP!! Getting a alum. fin. tranny pan and a oil pan gasket and wanting to keep my tranny cooler, in hopes while Dave is dealing with the tranny, I can just have him link the cooler back up, throw on a pan gasket since the motor is right there, and then just have him swap my pans when he does the shift kit and valve body rebuild....but the dates and that part are all TENTATIVE...we know we are doing it, just getting the EXACT TIME with my finances and his business schedule...Have been in talks with Dave on getting some things together to have her tranny to him late March to early April! My dyno numbers upon tuning, will go to Dave and we will get the specs for the PI stall etc...and get that ordered a week or so in advance....per his method/instruction....I will be contacting him the last week of FEB. is our plan.

Then back to my tuner for the final tweaks for the tune with the tranny!!

Looking into putting a hard line (braided) brake kit with Hawk pads from one of my sponsors (Speed Service Performance Center, Brownsburg, IN) http://www.speedservicellc.com/ Chuy and the guys are great!! Really stepped up to the plate in going out of their way for this build...

Then off to getting wheels and SLICKS!!! so any suggestions let me know...I can use all the help I can get...Im wanting M/T's with a 15" wheel...or just might do a drag radial from Nitto to keep it cross-bread...LOL...gotta do it right...

So there ya go...hope this will be the year for us!!!

Last edited by Rossko85; 02-09-2010 at 12:49 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:57 AM
TECH Addict

Will a 15" wheel fit with your brakes? Sounds like a badass setup you got going!!
Old 02-09-2010, 07:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

not on stock GXP brakes..but maybe they are getting changed?
Old 02-09-2010, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

To fit over the GXP front brakes you'll need at least a 17" rim. 16's don't even fit... Great job so far.

-Mike
Old 02-09-2010, 04:21 PM
12 Second Club

Well, i was looking at SJM....our rotors are 12.7"...so we can go anything over that....with a backspace of 4.0" or 40mm....so im told...if not...probably just grab me some 5x115 magnum spares or GTP wheels and do a drag radial....or just throw on a drag radial on the 18" as it is....ive got 275's up front now...that would be some pretty good meat....do a high side wall like a 50 or 55...ive got a 40 side wall now...
Old 02-09-2010, 11:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Rossko85
...our rotors are 12.7"...so we can go anything over that....with a backspace of 4.0" or 40mm...
Maybe I missed something, but don't forget the calipers. My 17's barely clear my brakes.