LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Exhaust Options (not magnaflow)

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 06:55 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Options (not magnaflow)

So magnaflow is the only company that makes a kit specifically for our cars... (true statement?)...
For a pontiac in particular, what about kits for the GTP? What's the difference in them?

Lastly, how successful have people been at having a kit made... i.e... Buying 2 mufflers, their choice of tip, and then having a shop fill in the gaps with 2.5?

As Alabama guy made mention to in my other post, instead of buying an aftermarket downpipe, can you just get a piece of straight to replace it?

Sorry for such a newb and trivial question. I am getting ready to start turning on the mods and simply don't have the time right now to lift the car and do some exploring...
Old 05-25-2010, 08:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

The slp one fits, just needs a rear center hanger.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-front...haust-vid.html

Last edited by williamGT; 05-25-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:28 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by indynotch50
So magnaflow is the only company that makes a kit specifically for our cars... (true statement?)...
For a pontiac in particular, what about kits for the GTP? What's the difference in them?

Lastly, how successful have people been at having a kit made... i.e... Buying 2 mufflers, their choice of tip, and then having a shop fill in the gaps with 2.5?

As Alabama guy made mention to in my other post, instead of buying an aftermarket downpipe, can you just get a piece of straight to replace it?

Sorry for such a newb and trivial question. I am getting ready to start turning on the mods and simply don't have the time right now to lift the car and do some exploring...
The DT headers replace 90% of the factory downpipe. The easiest thing to do is have someone build a header back system fro you, or tie the headers into a catback system with a foot or so of pipe and a flange.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:57 AM
Launching!

Ah, very interesting. thanks for the info. It's details like that that you don't plan for and find when it's too late.
I don't have the headers yet. My plan was to start at the headers and work back. However, if thorley's group buy was over and they were in fact $960 then I was going to take that money and put towards the exhaust since they are roughly the same.
Either way, I'll end up doing the entire exhaust. So i was just having a plan for both situations.
1. Get the headers, start piecing the exhaust together and have a shop fill in the gaps...
2. Get the downpipe and back, and start on the intake side.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by indynotch50
Ah, very interesting. thanks for the info. It's details like that that you don't plan for and find when it's too late.
I don't have the headers yet. My plan was to start at the headers and work back. However, if thorley's group buy was over and they were in fact $960 then I was going to take that money and put towards the exhaust since they are roughly the same.
Either way, I'll end up doing the entire exhaust. So i was just having a plan for both situations.
1. Get the headers, start piecing the exhaust together and have a shop fill in the gaps...
2. Get the downpipe and back, and start on the intake side.
Headers and a tune will easily drop an extra .2+ off a DP/exhaust/tune car. Definitely worth the money.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

did doug thorley say that they cost $650 not $960 or somethin like that?