LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Turbo Uprising

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 09:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by f3racer
just a question. why not go with the cartuning kit? i know its 1500 more but wouldnt it have been worth it for less hassle? or was it a point to make your own kit? ive made alot of crap on my own in order to save bank so i understand.
I didn't have $5500 when I started this project. I also didn't have the patience to save it up. I had talked to Kevin about a tuner kit in 2009. He was very helpful but what he hadn't developed one yet so I took the bull by the horns. It took several months of buying things in stages and doing some of the installation myself. I liked the fact that I got to choose all of the components myself. I had the shop fab the hot/cold side, mount the turbo and another shop do the tuning. There were lots of times I was frustrated but I'm happy now.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:50 AM
Banned

sounds good to me.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TiredGXP
Wow, lost track of this thread.

What are you using for boost control, the WG spring and manifold pressure, or is there a MBC installed? If boost coming on too early is causing driveability problems, you might consider adding an EBCS system so you can adjust the WGDC to moderate spool up. Some aftermarket units allow you to load several maps depending on driving conditions.

I'm using a WG spring manifold pressure for now. It would be nice to upgrade to some electronics to help with launching.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:58 AM
On The Tree

Hey guys it's been awhile since I gave a progress report. I got my car back from PATC yesterday. They did a proper rebuild of my transmission and installed a Precision Billet converter. I went with a 2800 stall speed. It feels really good down low. Of course 1st gear is even more useless! I can't wait to get a good set of drag radials and head to the track. That dealership band-aid that I got in October was a complete waste of time and money. It shifted horribly driving it off the lot.

At PATC they were very knowledgeable about our transmissions and offer excellent customer support. They had no issues with removing and reinstalling the turbo either. Nathan went on the road with me for about 30 minutes to get my driving impressions of the car under all types of conditions. We went from normal driving to the street race roll and then from a a dig. It is performing flawlessly. On the three hour drive home with about 6 or 7 wot bursts it still averaged 24.2 mpg.

More updates coming!
Old 02-25-2012, 12:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good to hear, enjoy it! Quick question on the PI billet converter install. Did they have any issue with the bolt holes in the converter not being deep enough and having to use washers for spacing to make it draw up flat to the flywheel?
Old 02-25-2012, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by supercatxr7
Good to hear, enjoy it! Quick question on the PI billet converter install. Did they have any issue with the bolt holes in the converter not being deep enough and having to use washers for spacing to make it draw up flat to the flywheel?
No one mentioned it to me. They want me to follow up in a few days to see how everything's going. I'll ask then. Is that an issue with these converters on our cars?
Old 02-25-2012, 01:41 PM
Staging Lane

Great write up. How has the transmission held up?
Old 02-25-2012, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by straitchev
Great write up. How has the transmission held up?
It's only been a day but so far, great! There were some precautions that they advised me of to make it last longer. No wot in 4th gear, ever! They also said to manually select the gear that I want when punching it from a roll. Gassing it to pass or speed up is ok. But like racing from a roll and letting the car downshift on its own at wot will shorten its life. Other than my tuner, no one has ever fixed something on any of my cars and voluntarily went for a ride with me to make sure that I was satisfied with the work. Those PATC guys are pretty cool.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by supercatxr7
They did used grade 8 washers on the converter to make sure it was seated properly into the pump. He assured me that it was an industry practice and wouldn't harm anything. I don't have a problem with it. Yesterday I stalled it against the brakes for the first time. It held up to about 2900 rpm.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

My transmission bit the dust today. It was really weird. I was just driving normally out of the parking lot at my job. I heard a faint snap and it quit pulling. I have to think long and hard about getting on the demod list or just take like a man and rebuild it. If it is a hard part, I don't even know if my warranty will cover it. I guess I'll find out Tuesday.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

Broke your input shaft....get the one from Dave at TEP....
Old 05-26-2012, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrew91PGT
Broke your input shaft....get the one from Dave at TEP....
X2 I think supercatxr7 broke his 300mm input shaft as well. I think intense is the only company to get one from, unless you luck out and somehow find a gmpp one lol.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

I have the input shaft from TEP. I would rather it be the chain than the input shaft. If the input shaft broke, won't there be pieces of metal floating around in the trans? I know I just spent 4 grand for trans, converter and the installation. It may have to sit for awhile until I get my wits about me. I would HATE to tell my wife that I may have to have the whole thing gone through again.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 07MCSS
I have the input shaft from TEP. I would rather it be the chain than the input shaft. If the input shaft broke, won't there be pieces of metal floating around in the trans? I know I just spent 4 grand for trans, converter and the installation. It may have to sit for awhile until I get my wits about me. I would HATE to tell my wife that I may have to have the whole thing gone through again.

Looks like your not the only one....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-perfo...put-shaft.html
Old 05-26-2012, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 07MCSS
actually the other way around if the chain broke it would cause more damage i.e to the tranny case. If the input shaft just broke normally they just twist and break into two pieces.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99slpws6
actually the other way around if the chain broke it would cause more damage i.e to the tranny case. If the input shaft just broke normally they just twist and break into two pieces.
That's good to know. I bought mine from TEP. I hope that if it is the problem that Dave's as generous as the Intense guys were with Supercatxr7! I need a break (no pun intended).
Old 05-28-2012, 12:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine was a clean break, no metal shavings. Pulled out the broken shaft and popped in a new one.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:27 PM
12 Second Club

Nice build man.. I'm looking to add a turbo too.
If you ever do a DE-MOD sell send me a PM!
Old 06-12-2012, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DavidGXP
Nice build man.. I'm looking to add a turbo too.
If you ever do a DE-MOD sell send me a PM!
I'll keep you in mind. De-modding always sounds like a good idea when it's not running. I'm eventually going to take the transmission out to get it fixed. It is showing input speed on my Aeroforce gauge. According to Dave it may be a broken chain. If it is, I hope it didn't damage anything inside the case.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:16 AM
12 Second Club

Were you using the 7/8 chain?

Quick Reply: Turbo Uprising