LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   LS4 Performance (https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-performance-108/)
-   -   Transmission Cooler - MUST READ (https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-performance/1350816-transmission-cooler-must-read.html)

AlabamaGuy 11-07-2010 08:47 PM

Transmission Cooler - MUST READ

This really is a mod that should be first on everyone's list. Heat is a huge enemy with transmissions this weak...so stop saving for whatever it is you're buying next for your ride and go put a cooler on there. Any cooler is better than no cooler!

Here's a GREAT writeup. There are different ways to do it, you might find something better/easier. GET CREATIVE. Find a place with more airflow, route the line different, or do it just like this. I don't care, just go put that cooler on there. Actually, while you're at it, drop the pan and do fluid/filter. Just do NOT flush it.

Trans Cooler Writeup

^ Much thanks to 7PSI!

Take care, Ladies and Gents.

CenTexSS 11-07-2010 09:03 PM

Does anyone have any real world evidence of how much cooler our trannies run before and after cooler?

AlabamaGuy 11-07-2010 09:03 PM

DavidGXP has some seriously solid numbers.

CenTexSS 11-07-2010 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy (Post 14092062)
DavidGXP has some seriously solid numbers.

Good. We need to get him to post 'em to add to this thread. I've had my cooler since spring, been lazy on installing it!

texasGXP08 11-07-2010 09:30 PM

Great sticky. I referenced this for my install. Mine would hit 200 degrees, easy, doing any kind of driving. Since installing my monster cooler (from TEP) it has not gone over 160 (even in city traffic).

AlabamaGuy 11-07-2010 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by CenTexSS (Post 14092104)
Good. We need to get him to post 'em to add to this thread. I've had my cooler since spring, been lazy on installing it!

Members of our geographic disposition REALLY shouldn't go through summer without one. GET ON IT! lol

DieselPump 11-07-2010 09:59 PM

I got mine put on this passed summer, and after installation I dropped 30 degrees celcius.

Very significant temp reduction after the cooler.

ImpSS07 11-08-2010 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by texasGXP08 (Post 14092208)
Great sticky. I referenced this for my install. Mine would hit 200 degrees, easy, doing any kind of driving. Since installing my monster cooler (from TEP) it has not gone over 160 (even in city traffic).

Part number????

06MonteSS 11-08-2010 06:38 PM

have had my car for 5 years next week... have just about 100,000 miles on it... no engine/tranny issues whatsoever... and no tranny cooler....

still runs like a champ... (and no, it's not babied, hehe)

Hawkins04 11-08-2010 06:42 PM

do rub it on for those of us on our 2 or 3 trans

D J Real 11-08-2010 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy (Post 14091959)
This really is a mod that should be first on everyone's list. Heat is a huge enemy with transmissions this weak...so stop saving for whatever it is you're buying next for your ride and go put a cooler on there. Any cooler is better than no cooler!

Here's a GREAT writeup. There are different ways to do it, you might find something better/easier. GET CREATIVE. Find a place with more airflow, route the line different, or do it just like this. I don't care, just go put that cooler on there. Actually, while you're at it, drop the pan and do fluid/filter. Just do NOT flush it.

Trans Cooler Writeup

^ Whoever made this step up for credit, I searched in vain for that thread....

Take care, Ladies and Gents.

the man who wrote this up goes by the user name 7psi. and he is the proud owner of a bleen and DCM GXP's. Also is a fellow michigander :nod:

don't really see him on here much anymore so I thought I let everyone know who we owe much thanks too.

sohcgt96 11-13-2010 12:12 AM

Well, I tell you what, this is in my plans now! The buzz about transmission problems with these cars almost scared me out of buying one, but i happened to get a 24 month/24k mile warranty with it so... that at least covers me for a bit.

I just picked up my GXP on Wednesday, and have been watching the temp in the DIC ever since. Its been abnormally warm for November and I did get it up to 192 degrees driving around in the afternoon, but after a good solid hour or more of driving at night in the low 60 degree range it never went over 180 and took a long time to get there.

So I'm sure its come up before, but for the sake of curious newbs... how much cooler is enough? I've been browsing Jegs, and am leaning towards the stacked-plate style coolers. For what they cost it seems like cheap insurance. Installation doesn't sound too bad, if I can handle a motor swap in my last car (see my new-guy post for details on that) I think I can handle a trans cooler.

Edit: Thrasher performance huh? Looks like these guys know their way around a Grand Prix! Seems they're updating their site a bit right now but I'll be keeping an eye on that.

140K_GXP 12-05-2010 10:23 PM

I followed 7PSI's write up on installing a transmission cooler over the summer. I decided to install two coolers of the same type that 7PSI used. I saw an immediate drop of 25 F. I am in south Louisiana and we have 95 F heat with 100% humidity during the summer. After a 45 minute drive on interstate doing 70 MPH my trans temps would be at 210 F. After the install, my temps never got above 185 F even on the hottest days. Also, I noticed that my engine temperature seemed to also run a little bit cooler. Hard to give an exact number but normally my engine's temperature gauge needle is at exactly half way between the gauge limits. After install, my engine temperature gauge shows the needle below the mid point, closer to the first temp gauge increment mark. Definitely a good idea for the transmission. By the way, I have a 2006 GXP and I just turned over 140K miles. I am hoping to make it to 240K.

DavidGXP 12-21-2010 09:31 AM

Just do it and be done. You can also run an external transmission filter kit. b&m has them and they use a cartridge style filter. Excellent protection against crap going through your cooler/radiator/converter. Plus if the trans does blow, then your double protected. Make sure you have a shiftkit installed with tuning done. I wouldn't want to take any chances with line pressure drops which might cause slipage. Please... change the transmission fluid every 25-30k do not wait until 100k. Trust me on this guys. I pulled my pan at 28k and my fluid was toast. I had all kinds of crap on the bottom of the pan too. I have over 30 hard core drag strip pass with 2.0 launches and my trans is working great!

DavidGXP 12-21-2010 09:33 AM

Also, install a drain plug while the pan is off if you ever do a fluid and filter change. You'll be glad you did!

NHRA T/A 01-11-2011 03:02 PM

I'm still under warranty. Does anyone think I'll have problems from the dealer if I need warranty work done with a cooler installed?

D J Real 01-13-2011 10:52 AM

No not if it passes a flow test there will not be any problems

jpstax 02-11-2011 01:21 PM

I bought a new 2008 LaCrosse Super and gave my '00 Regal GSE (S/C 3800 engine) to my son. He now tells me the S/C serpentine belt broke and he's yet to replace it. Does anyone know if running the engine without the S/C belt could cause engine damage, especially when the engine needs boosting? I know this is an LS4 forum, but I'm hoping someone with knowledge about L-67 engines might know the answer. Thanks in advance.

ANTICOP RAM AIR 02-11-2011 01:29 PM

^

i assume it will still run but it is obviously tuned to have boost.. it will run like shit and any sensor monitoring the A/F ratio or EGT will go ape shit... it should be running rich as hell too... technically it can run, but is it to be done?.. no. replace the belt before more damage is caused..

RIPDEATH 05-22-2011 12:47 PM

will a trans cooler void the factory warranty?