LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   LS4 Performance (https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-performance-108/)
-   -   LS4 Transmission Problem Thread (4T65-HD); Current Total Inside (https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-performance/1369632-ls4-transmission-problem-thread-4t65-hd-current-total-inside.html)

LS1 Racing 01-03-2011 12:47 PM

Thread has moved to GMLS4.com

This thread has moved to http://www.gmls4.com/index.php/topic,33.0.html , which is at GMLS4.com.

It will no longer be supported or updated on this site. Please visit the above link to report issues and obtain information regarding the transmission problems that are so common to the LS4 cars. You will also find resources there that will teach you what you need to know about addressing and preventing the problems from happening again.

06MonteSS 01-03-2011 12:58 PM

and there are more on the impala forum naioa.com too....

ImpSS07 01-03-2011 12:59 PM

I'm feeling left out!!:lol:

I had mine replaced NOT rebuilt at 53k-ish about 2yrs ago.

LS1 Racing 01-03-2011 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS (Post 14311126)
and there are more on the impala forum naioa.com too....

After I get done with this forum, I'll take a look at naioa.

Originally Posted by ImpSS07 (Post 14311129)
I'm feeling left out!!:lol:

I had mine replaced NOT rebuilt at 53k-ish about 2yrs ago.

Added you!

BigBlackBoxChevy 01-03-2011 01:08 PM

Mine trans is boned too. It's been screwed up the last 5k miles or so, just waiting for it to stop moving

GXP25 01-03-2011 01:24 PM

Add me to the second group. I had the clunk issue last year (fixed under warranty).

LS1 Racing 01-03-2011 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlackBoxChevy (Post 14311158)
Mine trans is boned too. It's been screwed up the last 5k miles or so, just waiting for it to stop moving

Originally Posted by GXP25 (Post 14311218)
Add me to the second group. I had the clunk issue last year (fixed under warranty).

Added.

ohyeahjay 01-03-2011 02:47 PM

great job LS1 racing. I would be interested in seeing the relationship between GXP/Monte SS/Impala SS if that's possible and maybe even the years. if we can break down the problem even more maybe we can find a common issue.

LS1 Racing 01-03-2011 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by ohyeahjay (Post 14311510)
great job LS1 racing. I would be interested in seeing the relationship between GXP/Monte SS/Impala SS if that's possible and maybe even the years. if we can break down the problem even more maybe we can find a common issue.

Thanks!

I thought about doing that about halfway through compiling the list. This has taken me the better part of the last 4 hours, so I probably won't revisit each post for a little while, but you're certainly welcome to do so. I can then add the findings to this thread.

I've also requested that AlabamaGuy sticky this.

evil 5.3 01-03-2011 04:20 PM

not being a dick just a question for a true comparison how many members do we have in just this section alone or do we know because 84 to 90 isnt bad if there is 1000 people on here just my .02

LS1 Racing 01-03-2011 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by evil 5.3 (Post 14311951)
not being a dick just a question for a true comparison how many members do we have in just this section alone or do we know because 84 to 90 isnt bad if there is 1000 people on here just my .02

I don't know about you, but I would consider a 9% failure rate on a high-cost item like a transmission to be unacceptable, even if we use your numbers.

Now, I don't know how many different members have posted on this forum in total, but it seems like a lot of them have this major problem much more often than any other.

Anyway, maybe AlabamaGuy can assist with mining the data that would give us total number of unique posters on this forum. That would give us a better idea of the percentage.

91_rs-teal 01-03-2011 05:35 PM

81k on stock GP trans 200 degrees when idling WOT slighty chatters into second. Also soft shift then slight accel (not fully into 2nd) results in slip from first then clunk into second. so have to watch how i drive

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing (Post 14311087)
Current count: 84

The reliability of our transmissions has been discussed a lot lately, and while it's impossible to know just how many failures all of the LS4 cars have experienced, we can get an idea of the failure rate for people who've posted here.

I will start by doing a search of all the threads in which a member describes a failure or problem. I'll post the user names here as I find them. There will be two categories: one for people who've had problems and got the trans replaced, the other will be for people are experience problems and abnormalities but are still on the stock trans.

I listed user names so that anyone who has questions or doubts the accuracy of this data can simply do a search or contact the member to verification or more info.

Methodology: If a member described in a post that they had problems that resulted in the rebuild or replacement of their transmission, then the user name was added to the first list. This also applies to posts in which a member indicates a friend or family member had a trans replacment.

To make the second list, a member had to use one of the following descriptions in relation to transmission operation, but still has the original unit: Slip, shudder, freewheel, clunk, rev-and-clunk, converter locking and unlocking, car doesn't move from a stop, no forward or no reverse, slow shifting, whining, grinding, in and out of 4th gear while cruising, TCC material in pan, slow to engage first or reverse.

Members with transmissions that have been rebuilt or replaced due to failure/issues:
LS1 Racing
06MonteSS
Hawkins04
boeman
Mgpeagle
dapope1
LS1>girlfriend
05CherryGXP
slomaro2
steveman0018 (his Dad's GXP)
storm4601
ckso226
bdyman
aj99 (friend's GXP)
kissmyss03
JVGN
1CL3EANSUP3RSPORT
JP GXP
leclair87 06monteSS
broncobuyer
SSCoop
Slow94Formula (converter only)
westtexastiger
Paints-n-cows
trend1
MyGXP
itchy
jlwcca
bigalnash
Vectus
WickedC5
dj_stylzpgh/GXP05
layitlow
turbowhistle86
cherryGXP
ImpalaSS07
hexxls4
gulfstreamcpt
deft

Total: 39

Members experiencing abnormalities like intermittent slipping, rev-and-clunk starts, not starting off from a stop, TCC cycling, etc, but still have original trans:
jrhartman
smug GXP
Hell'sChariot
dunney508
zabalots
Stun'nSun'nZ28
BariPlayer
BuffaloSS
06PIMPALASS
Boattail455
ls4door
jommnyss06
AlabamaGuy
CalamitySS
jlee2003
gxp-miller-gxp
jdwilks
LS4 SS
MC06SS
bigboy3l
smokin06impalass
bh04
DudeWTF407
1Bad06MCSS
1 badd GXP
JC05GXP
NachoSS
havelegs
scarlett
Donk's SS
XFiveLiter
Sint3k
BigBlackBoxChevy
GXP25
DrJesus616
Tater Salad
blkchevyz
FolfanZ28
4ever3
jp07gxp
Bleen06GXP
Mark IXZD 150
Bryan921SS
98Jeep360Limited
Area47

Total: 45
Grand Total: 84

If you experienced a problem and are not on the list, please post and I'll add you. If I've made any other mistake, please let me know. I want this to be as accurate as possible.

LS1 Racing 01-03-2011 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by 91_rs-teal (Post 14312262)
81k on stock GP trans 200 degrees when idling WOT slighty chatters into second. Also soft shift then slight accel (not fully into 2nd) results in slip from first then clunk into second. so have to watch how i drive

Thanks for posting. I've added you to the list and total.

hazards280 01-03-2011 06:18 PM

Previous Owner Before me has his replaced at 47k

evil 5.3 01-03-2011 06:20 PM

but by the round figures we are using that 4000 in 40,000 in 5 years of production those are number gm can live with yeah it sucks for us but look at the ford taurus in the 90s almost all of them went bad with a 3.0v6 or the 3.8 ford did nothing

CenTexSS 01-03-2011 06:21 PM

We should add mileage at the time of replacement/rebuild also.

Hawkins04 01-03-2011 06:25 PM

SWEEEEEET!!! #3

LS1 Racing we could have did like a poll of people that had problems or are having issues and had them vote what they had or have? Maybe that could have been a little easier. oh and wow didn't think it was that many though.

D J Real 01-03-2011 07:01 PM

holy hell, I think the real question is who still has their stock trans and hasn't had any problems? Shit I think just me and a few others on here fall into the category.

LS1 Racing 01-03-2011 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by evil 5.3 (Post 14312520)
but by the round figures we are using that 4000 in 40,000 in 5 years of production those are number gm can live with yeah it sucks for us but look at the ford taurus in the 90s almost all of them went bad with a 3.0v6 or the 3.8 ford did nothing

The issue is not what about GM can live with. We already know that GM won't do a damn thing about this if the unfortunate owner is out of warranty. We also know that GM will not make any revisions to their 4T65-HD LS4 remanufactured units to improve their reliability. I don't think anyone here has any illusions about this.

The point of this exercise is to get a ballpark failure rate so that potential LS4 buyers who come on this site and want to know about reliability can understand the risks of owining one. Also, if someone wants to use this info to at least try and get a dealer to cover an out-of-warranty problem, it will be documented here.

Lastly, the shear numbers of people experiencing trans problems should dispel the myth that it only happens to people who abuse or don't service their transmissions. I mean, we all can't be beating on our cars and then not changing the fluid, right?

Originally Posted by CenTexSS (Post 14312523)
We should add mileage at the time of replacement/rebuild also.

I thought about doing that, but less than half of the posts had that info, so I left it off.

Originally Posted by Hawkins04 (Post 14312545)
SWEEEEEET!!! #3

LS1 Racing we could have did like a poll of people that had problems or are having issues and had them vote what they had or have? Maybe that could have been a little easier. oh and wow didn't think it was that many though.

I thought about doing a poll, but previous informal polls on this topic garnered few responses. It also would leave off people who don't visit the site anymore because they've moved on or sold their cars.

I wanted to capture as much as I could, which is why I took the time scour the old threads.

LS1 Racing 01-03-2011 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by hazards280 (Post 14312513)
Previous Owner Before me has his replaced at 47k

Added!