LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Transmission issues...curious question

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 10:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Transmission issues...curious question

My '05 GXP has 120k on it right now and I had the transmission replaced under the 100k powertrain at 96k miles in the middle of '09. I had completely lost 1st gear on that tranny. Well, anyway, this just started about 2k miles ago. I started getting a shudder when going uphill in O/D with the cruise control on. I started thinking about the possible causes (as I didn't know all the other stories about this transmission yet):

- tune up needed (but I did that at 104k miles)
- MAF needs cleaning (just did that)
- fuel filter (but I hear that's in the tank on this car...so I haven't done that)
- transmission fluid just needed a change

So, I did option 4. Took it in to a local guy I know and he flushed it with me there. The fluid was JET BLACK with only 23k on the transmission fluid. So, part of me is thinking "Did they seriously put the used fluid from my failed transmission back in this car???" So, I have driven it another 1k miles since and I'm currently 600 miles away from home with this car and the shudder has gotten a little worse. Sometimes, it sounds like I have a metal vibration at times. So, I'll be going extra light on the car on the return trip home.

Anyway, I have read all the posts on here about this exact problem. My issue is the transmission is less than a year and a half with only 24k miles. Is GM going to force me to pay to replace the transmission and am I going to have to find some way to come up with $4,000??? My wife has been out of a job for nearly a year and we have been scraping by, otherwise this car would be gone by now. But, I can't take on another car payment, let alone pay $4,000 for a new transmission. Any thoughts on how to get them to replace it? Hopefully, someone has a success story!
Old 02-20-2011, 10:40 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

TCC is on its way out... that's what happened to mine back in Dec.... same issues...

time for a new one, again!

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 02-20-2011, 10:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These transmissions do not like being power flushed.

When the fluid needs service it should be drained, the pan should be dropped and the filter should be changed.

Depending on how much you owe on it try trading it in fro something cheaper/more reliable.