LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

GXP Issues- Check Engine Light, Trans issue least I think? Steering Wheel Viberations

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 11:11 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GXP Issues- Check Engine Light, Trans issue least I think? Steering Wheel Viberations

Hey all,

Well, the GXP threw up a check engine light. I read the code it reads: P0523- Eng Oil Pres Sensor/Switch Circ High Voltage.

Car has a recent oil change with 5w-30 royal purple and Ac Delco filter.

Also, once that code poped up i decided to return the car to stock to take it into the dealer. Well, I returned it back with my cortex programmer and now it has a funny issues.

The DOD will not turn on, and the programmer reads it enabled.(engine light came back on once it was flashed back.)

When braking from 55mph to a read light, the trans stays in a gear untill the car about dies then recoveres and the RPM's jump up to 1k once your down to about 15mph or less. But it rides the gear out till 500rpm then wants to die, but doesnt. Its werid.

Anyone know why this is happening? Torque Converter? Also the trans is full of fluid.

ALSO, had the car aligned due to vibrations at 60plus MPH and tires balanced. The viberation has not stopped, these tires are about 6 months old from firestone(bridgestone potenza re760).

Recently dealer replaced the left front wheel bearing which helped.

But now the problem is back.

Are my Tie rods shot? I know what to look for but these bushings on the outter tie rods look good still, there are little flattened but not bad.

Thanks for the help, Im really starting to get tired of the issues, the service manager knows me by my f**kin knickname now (Deuce), thats how close we are. **** he knows when I call. lol

Greg

Last edited by 98GTcoupe; 02-22-2011 at 11:17 AM. Reason: im dumb
Old 02-22-2011, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You won't get DoD with the check engine light on.

I have more to add, but I'm in the car. I'm sure there will be other posts that get more into your issues.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When the code re appeared was it the same code or different?

The recent oil change.. I would definatly not of used the delco with synthetic oil, the filters paper element may be sending paper through the system, hence higher than normal pressure. Remove the oil pressure sensor and remove and clean the last chance filter for the DOD/AFM located under the sensor, (possible blockage)

As for the tie rods , use a pair of channel lock pliers an try to compress the joint from top to bottom.. squeesing/compressing the joint. Measure it without any compression and again while compressing it , no more than a 1/16". You don`t have to blue face it,just hand pressure.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ill_Born_ss

The recent oil change.. I would definatly not of used the delco with synthetic oil, the filters paper element may be sending paper through the system, hence higher than normal pressure. Remove the oil pressure sensor and remove and clean the last chance filter for the DOD/AFM located under the sensor, (possible blockage)
Didn't know synthetic and Delco filters were a problem. I've used this combo on the Impala, as well as my GN for years.

What filter do you recommend?
Old 02-22-2011, 02:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got this from a good friend:

good info....

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articl...lterstudy.html

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articl...gradesheet.htm

The grading criteria was
30um Filtering........Overall Build Quality.....Media Surface Area.....Media Volume....Price.

And the top five are (Top First)
Fram XG
Mobil1
Royal Purple
Amsoil (Tie 4th)
K&N......(Tie 4th)

Bottom Five are.....(Worst first)
Shell
AC Delco
STP
ProLine
Fram High Mileage

And I am a diehard MOBIL user
Old 02-22-2011, 02:47 PM
Launching!

Same code.

As for the tie rods , use a pair of channel lock pliers an try to compress the joint from top to bottom.. squeesing/compressing the joint. Measure it without any compression and again while compressing it , no more than a 1/16". You don`t have to blue face it,just hand pressure.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:04 PM
Launching!

Wait a minute.. You guys change your filters? I was just rinse mine out.

DAMNIT!

Got this from a good friend:

good info....

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articl...lterstudy.html

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articl...gradesheet.htm

The grading criteria was
30um Filtering........Overall Build Quality.....Media Surface Area.....Media Volume....Price.

Fram XG
Mobil1
Royal Purple
Amsoil (Tie 4th)
K&N......(Tie 4th)

Shell
AC Delco
STP
ProLine
Fram High Mileage

Old 02-22-2011, 03:42 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98GTcoupe
The DOD will not turn on, and the programmer reads it enabled.(engine light came back on once it was flashed back.)

When braking from 55mph to a read light, the trans stays in a gear untill the car about dies then recoveres and the RPM's jump up to 1k once your down to about 15mph or less. But it rides the gear out till 500rpm then wants to die, but doesnt. Its werid.

Anyone know why this is happening? Torque Converter? Also the trans is full of fluid.
DoD probably isn't running because of the oil pressure malfunction.

With DoD enabled my GXP lugs third down to 12ish mph too. It's normal.

As for the vibration, do you only get the vibration after the car has sat for a length of time or can you be driving all day and still get the vibration? Tires get flat spots from being parked. Cold weather makes this more evident.
Do your tires have bulges (however large) in the sidewall or tread area? Tires that have been improperly stored will retain some of the bulges from being stored on racks.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:42 PM
Launching!

Its lugging like that without DOD on. lol

Originally Posted by LS1>girlfriend
DoD probably isn't running because of the oil pressure malfunction.

With DoD enabled my GXP lugs third down to 12ish mph too. It's normal.

As for the vibration, do you only get the vibration after the car has sat for a length of time or can you be driving all day and still get the vibration? Tires get flat spots from being parked. Cold weather makes this more evident.
Do your tires have bulges (however large) in the sidewall or tread area? Tires that have been improperly stored will retain some of the bulges from being stored on racks.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Fram XG
Mobil1
Royal Purple
Amsoil (Tie 4th)
K&N......(Tie 4th)

Shell
AC Delco
STP
ProLine
Fram High Mileage

Well crap I’ve always read that the AC Delco was better than Fram.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:06 PM
12 Second Club

Its lugging like that without DOD on. lol
You said DoD was enabled. Whether it's functional or not clearly doesn't matter if it wasn't lugging when you had DoD tuned out. lol?
Old 02-22-2011, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mobil 1 synthetic is what my Trailblazer uses from the factory, with AC Delco PF48 filter -same as my Impala uses. Hard to believe it's that much of an issue (I didn't read your links though)
Old 02-23-2011, 01:18 AM
12 Second Club

Corvette's among other GM vehicles come from the factory with AC Delco filters and synthetic oil. Sounds like another myth will now be floating around this forum.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No, guys not starting something, the standard AC Delco filters are found in big chain stores, on sale for a reason. The New engines are equipted with ( -E) filters.

example... the PF48 is now replaced with the improved PF48-E.

So when replacing your filter use what you want , but make sure it is correct for your application. For example the fram site lists filters for the VIN C 06 5.3, and under the P/N listing it shows 3 listings for each model available. The first # is to use if the other 2 are not available, I would not use an if not filter, but some oil jockie may and will... without saying a word!
Old 02-23-2011, 01:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1>girlfriend
You said DoD was enabled. Whether it's functional or not clearly doesn't matter if it wasn't lugging when you had DoD tuned out. lol?
okok. Now im confused and i think your confused.

lol

ok, so. DOD Enabled. Just not working. car still lugs when slowing to a stop.

When Superchips tune was in, no problems with the trans luggin ever.

I don know, im just gonna drive it, wash it, park it till the wheels fall off.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:11 PM
Launching!

okok. Now im confused and i think your confused.

lol

ok, so. DOD Enabled. Just not working. car still lugs when slowing to a stop.

When Superchips tune was in, no problems with the trans luggin ever.

I don know, im just gonna drive it, wash it, park it till the wheels fall off.
Whoever said DoD won't work with a CEL is right, the car shuts down all secondary programs (i.e. remote start, DoD, etc.) to protect the engine from possible failure. The vibrations are from your tires those dam things are loud on the freeway, your car is fine. Also the trans. issue might be because the P0523 code may cause the TCM to go into limp mode. I don't know the exact codes, but I know a few will cause the trans. to do that. I'd have the dealer flash both the TCM and the ECM and see what happens.

Quick Reply: GXP Issues- Check Engine Light, Trans issue least I think? Steering Wheel Viberations