LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Sound Off: 07 Grand Prix GXP and 02 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 10:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sound Off: 07 Grand Prix GXP and 02 Mustang GT

I had my buddy who just moved into the area over the other day so he could swap his brakes ahead of a track day. He doesn’t have a garage or tools, but he did have Budweiser. I was just playing with my stereo. The Monsoon amp is way too boomy for my taste when hooked up to the upgraded 6x9 woofers I have. They had been sitting unconnected and the 12 in my spare wheel well was doing all of the work. I hooked my amp (50x2, 200x1 RMS) up to the 6x9s and put my 12 back in the box with its buddy. My amp and the 6x9s do nearly as well as the 12 did sealed in the spare wheel well, especially when I’m driving and I can’t really here the really low stuff at reasonable volumes. Until I get another amp and some quick disconnects, I’ve just hooked the 12s up to the Monsoon unit in parallel. The 12s are in a sealed box and don’t sound nearly as boomy as the 6x9s did due to their frequency response, low Q in the sealed box, and location in the trunk. It sounds pretty good in the cabin, and it’s easy to get the 12s out for a weekend trip.

Anyway, my buddy was talking up how loud his Mustang is. I figured I could take him with the cutout open, so I proposed a sound off while he was there. When he pulled in I figured that I had him, but then he revved it and I lost my confidence. My car is in my signature. He has a full bolt-on 02 Mustang, including a fenderwell intake, headers, x-pipe, and dual SLP Loudmouth’s (no real mufflers). His car is set up for track days with a laundry list of suspension mods. Here’s the result:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is5SXiEA6i4

I think he's clearly louder, but my car still sounds nastier. I would have fared better on volume if I would have bumped my rev limiter from 6000 rpm to 6750 rpm where his is set.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds really good. where is your cutout at?
Old 04-12-2011, 10:46 PM
TECH Regular

The cutout is by the passenger rear tire. It's a side exit setup, so it faces the sidewalk. I plan to put maxflows on the car too, but I just fell into a 1 ton van that I couldn't say no to so they are on hold.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:02 AM
12 Second Club

He's louder, who's faster?
Old 04-13-2011, 12:05 AM
12 Second Club

Funny *** vid LMAO..
I want a rematch with your rev limiter cranked up. I love your lope...
Old 04-13-2011, 07:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LS1>girlfriend
x10..
Old 04-13-2011, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Both sound pretty damn good. He's louder but yours sounds a hell of a lot better especially with that cam. I'm drooling over here hahahahhaha
Old 04-13-2011, 11:15 AM
Launching!

x2 on the drooling lol.

I say it's a tie. I think both sound pretty badass, in their own right. Probably my favorite sounding LS4 I've heard so far!
Old 04-13-2011, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea i second this. i bet the gxp would smoke it stang with his mods
Old 04-14-2011, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm planning on getting my impala to sound like your GXP. I dont know if i want to do it just yet being as though i dont plan on using this as a drag car, but i always love hearing a cam just idle along with a bad *** exhaust system
Old 04-14-2011, 05:16 PM
12 Second Club

I love how the video starts off with the birds chirping.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:23 PM
TECH Regular

We'll find out eventually. I tried to get him to come down to Milan with me, but he already had plans. He then tried to get me to go up to Waterford Hills Raceway this Sunday, but I wasn't about to chip off $150 and risk an insurance-wavered accident in my daily driver.

Originally Posted by SSCoop
I'm planning on getting my impala to sound like your GXP. I dont know if i want to do it just yet being as though i dont plan on using this as a drag car, but i always love hearing a cam just idle along with a bad *** exhaust system
Although I have drag raced my car, I don't see it as a drag car either. If I wanted a FWD drag car, I would buy a plain jane base Grand Prix and turbocharge it. I don't, so I didn't. I don't want to be a poser with a slow car either, but my car is all about how much fun I have driving it wherever I go and enjoying some tunes on the way there. This car eats up highway on ramps and prevents jerks in high dollar cars from having their way with me. Plus, it keeps my wife and baby safe and the seats fold down to haul stuff when I need to.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:34 PM
Staging Lane

Stock rockers?? Or 1.8/1.9's? I want all your mods.... Power/TQ numbers?
Old 04-14-2011, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nmp0098
Although I have drag raced my car, I don't see it as a drag car either. If I wanted a FWD drag car, I would buy a plain jane base Grand Prix and turbocharge it. I don't, so I didn't. I don't want to be a poser with a slow car either, but my car is all about how much fun I have driving it wherever I go and enjoying some tunes on the way there. This car eats up highway on ramps and prevents jerks in high dollar cars from having their way with me. Plus, it keeps my wife and baby safe and the seats fold down to haul stuff when I need to.
very well said sir!
Old 04-14-2011, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sooo who faster????
Old 04-14-2011, 10:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by nmp0098
Yes VERY well said
Old 04-15-2011, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Although I have drag raced my car, I don't see it as a drag car either. If I wanted a FWD drag car, I would buy a plain jane base Grand Prix and turbocharge it. I don't, so I didn't. I don't want to be a poser with a slow car either, but my car is all about how much fun I have driving it wherever I go and enjoying some tunes on the way there. This car eats up highway on ramps and prevents jerks in high dollar cars from having their way with me. Plus, it keeps my wife and baby safe and the seats fold down to haul stuff when I need to.[/QUOTE]

Touche sir