LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

So its time for my yearly major mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 03:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So its time for my yearly major mods

As many of you know, i blew my tranny up back in january. My GXP has been sitting in my driveway since
I just ordered my new triple edge tranny. I am getting 3.29 gears, upgraded torque converter, and upgraded 3rd gear.

I am also doing some more work to the engine I am going to put in a larger cold air system and larger throttle body. I am also putting lowering springs on it.

Also some people on here seem to think i have stroked my engine or bored it out. This is not true. My pistons are slightly larger but its negligible. In fact i actually lost compression from them cause the dish is deeper.

I will start a new thread when the car is finished. I am expecting it to be done in like 6 weeks.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I hate you. <3
Old 05-17-2011, 06:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sittingmongoose
As many of you know, i blew my tranny up back in january. My GXP has been sitting in my driveway since
I just ordered my new triple edge tranny. I am getting 3.29 gears, upgraded torque converter, and upgraded 3rd gear.

I am also doing some more work to the engine I am going to put in a larger cold air system and larger throttle body. I am also putting lowering springs on it.

Also some people on here seem to think i have stroked my engine or bored it out. This is not true. My pistons are slightly larger but its negligible. In fact i actually lost compression from them cause the dish is deeper.

I will start a new thread when the car is finished. I am expecting it to be done in like 6 weeks.
Hell yeah.. It never really ends does it?
Good luck with the trans but be prepared to wait for a long... long time.
I ordered my stuff about 5 weeks ago and haven't heard a word
I trust Dave though so I'm sure he'll get things out when he has the time.
I spent about 2500.00 in hard parts. 3.69's and 3000 stall with the race rebuild kit, input shaft and other small stuff.

I'm planing on sending my Ported LS6 intake off to TPiS to have them do the LS2 90mm flange mod. I'm going to use the LS2 tb and MAf with the proper tubing and filter. I'm also sending my heads off for some CNC porting and more milling. I'm hoping to add about 40 more WHP.
Intake mod is 350.00 and the heads are 750.00
More downtime lol but I wanna be able to out run most Vettes
Both shops told me to expect more so we'll see!

You have PRC 2.5 243 heads correct?
Old 05-17-2011, 09:55 PM
TECH Regular

IIRC he has patriot stage 2 heads right mongooss?
Old 05-18-2011, 01:27 PM
TECH Resident

yep, they were WAY over kill. I actually probably need a bigger came to take advantage of it.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:00 PM
TECH Regular

I wouldn't worry about a bigger cam until you get some more passes with the new transmission under your belt. If anything, I'd highly recommend N2O if you want more power... you have a built motor. Even paying someone to do the install and getting all the goodies, you can't beat the HP/$. Keep us posted with your results!
Old 05-20-2011, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

if ur gonna put in a trans anyway, just throw in a cam for N2O. rock the cam for now and make nitrous next years add on

a cam in my eyes is a must if i ever get a built trans.

we have a tiny stock cam and any LS engine shows pretty good gains gettin rid of the stocker

used cam couple hundo, 918's a hundo. def worth the 20-30hp. thats the price of a ls6 intake.....
Old 05-21-2011, 10:42 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 91_rs-teal
if ur gonna put in a trans anyway, just throw in a cam for N2O. rock the cam for now and make nitrous next years add on

a cam in my eyes is a must if i ever get a built trans.

we have a tiny stock cam and any LS engine shows pretty good gains gettin rid of the stocker

used cam couple hundo, 918's a hundo. def worth the 20-30hp. thats the price of a ls6 intake.....
He's already got a 224/228 114+? custom spec cam in there... the gains for the cost probably aren't there any more because of labor. He could have N2O installed for less than having another cam spec'd and swapped.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:43 PM
TECH Resident

nmp is right. I have a custom cam and i dont think a larger cam will gain more then like 10hp. Cams in the ls4 cars dont do a heck of a lot at least for the money. N20 is the way to go. I am planning on running nos next year. I havent had my car working for more then like 2 months at a time lol I want to get through the summer. The cam, engine, and tranny are built for a 200 shot in mind
Old 05-23-2011, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

o gotcha, sry I did not read your signature thats says u have a cam. I was just stating over a stock cam the difference is worth it. Hopefully one day Ill get a trans that can handle even the stock power though

Originally Posted by Sittingmongoose
nmp is right. I have a custom cam and i dont think a larger cam will gain more then like 10hp. Cams in the ls4 cars dont do a heck of a lot at least for the money. N20 is the way to go. I am planning on running nos next year. I havent had my car working for more then like 2 months at a time lol I want to get through the summer. The cam, engine, and tranny are built for a 200 shot in mind
Old 05-23-2011, 05:36 PM
12 Second Club

Whats your compression ratio mongoose?
I just checked my danamic compression and I'm pretty much pushing it at 8.0 ish (92 octane)
I was going to mill my heads but then I'd be forced to retard my cam timing. Your cam is bigger then mine and I know your running PRC II heads. Did you change the pistons? I would think with your cam you'd be running 10.5-10.75 static.

Can you PM me your Intake valve closing point @.050?

Last edited by DavidGXP; 05-23-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:49 PM
TECH Resident

I honestly have none of the info your looking for lol it was a year ago and i have no idea where my read outs are. I put light weight pistons in there though. I know i lost a little compression though.