LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Just rented a 2012 Impala with the "new" 300hp V6

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's some new hope in the 6 speed swap arena: Programming issues might be out of the way.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really? I hope so.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:12 AM
Staging Lane

Interesting write up of your experiences. Thanks.

With cylinder deactivation though on my 09SS, I can get 28 on the highway with a light foot travelling steady at 75 MPH with the AC on. I know you were going faster, wind, etc, but I was expecting a bigger mileage gain. Then again, the car may not be broken in yet and MPG may improve. If not, other than the tranny not being made of glass, like mine, I don't think I would take the new v6 over my V8 if I had a choice - not enough of a MPG gain for all the torque and superior NVH that is given up.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:58 PM
Staging Lane

Oh believe me, I FULLY agree. There really was not one single thing about the car that would make me want it over my GXP, or an older Impy SS for that matter. I would bet, though, that with a sane person driving (i.e. someone other than me) it would have gotten significantly better mileage.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:17 PM
Staging Lane

Guys on NAOIA, mostly 7th gen non LS4 Impala guys, are saying the new V6 gives the 06+ SS a run for its money or will beat the SS. I have driven the 2012, not long enough to test mileage like you though.

My condensed findings: One word: Torque. One set of initials: NVH (noise vibration harshness). The v6 is a great improvent, but it is no LS4.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TSS09SS
Guys on NAOIA, mostly 7th gen non LS4 Impala guys, are saying the new V6 gives the 06+ SS a run for its money or will beat the SS. I have driven the 2012, not long enough to test mileage like you though.

My condensed findings: One word: Torque. One set of initials: NVH (noise vibration harshness). The v6 is a great improvent, but it is no LS4.
Well said. I would agree that the Torque makes all the difference. I may have mentioned this earlier in the thread, but I ran the thing against my wife in her GXP the night we took the V6 Impy home, and it was NO contest. The GXP ate me UP. I'm not sure if there's any difference in performance between the GXP's and the Impala SS's (due to weight, PCM prog., etc) but I would imagine it can't be much if any. That being said, anyone with a functioning right foot should have no problem taking one of these new V6's out

Quick Reply: Just rented a 2012 Impala with the "new" 300hp V6