LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Update on the Bad on the GXP..

Old 11-13-2011, 06:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Update on the Bad on the GXP..

Well the car just clicked about 57K..

First off the Trans is holding for now. But it is still going, I feel it not shifting the way it should and sloppy. Warranty runs out in June so just seeing what comes first. The trans craps out or I bring it in to get replaced before the warranty expires.

Under the hood. pos battery cable was FUBARed. Was surprised how bad it was corroded. Had to replace the end. Finding a cable at a parts store was IMPOSSIBLE. Not to mention many places said dealer only, meaning I could not get it from them had to go to the dealer.
Well like i said it got fixed but I think my battery is almost dead because of this. Gotta pick up the wife soon so see if it will start.

mufflers are shot. They sound great but there is two grapefruit size holes in the tops of them.

I wish there was a recall on all this stuff..as it seams like it happens to a lot of us.

Interior the ac/heater controls lights are out in various places..

But yea just checking in with whats up..
Old 11-13-2011, 07:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

forgot to mention looking at the airbox. when getting my oil changed they checked the air filter..well they lost one of the holding clamps. I can not prove it but its not there now..anyone have one they can drop in an envelope and get to me?? lol
Old 11-13-2011, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

all the problems I read made me stay away from these cars.... but I would love a 4 door family ride for my family. Maybe I'll just stick with a GTO, RWD, 6 speed. something I can work on!
Old 11-14-2011, 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thats why I traded my GP GXP in for a G8 GT.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:35 PM
12 Second Club

Holy **** dude.... cars need maintenance, so fix it! This thread will turn into a this why section real quick, and I have already heard enough!
Old 11-14-2011, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I concur.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:22 PM
Launching!

seriously more people come on here just to bitch. Wahh my car burns oil, wahh my dash lights don't work wahhh something else. IT IS A MACHINE, MACHINES REQUIRE UPKEEP, UPKEEP COSTS MONEY!!! Its called research, any responsible buyer looks at est. maintenance cost before they buy a car. Guess what ours is listed by Edmonds at $1,700 a year. No one ever said owning this car was a cheap or easy investment. So frankly if you can't handle the burden both financially and mentally why did you buy the car?

Face it boys and girls ls4's are performance based cars and thus durability was sacrificed for performance. If you wanted something low maintenance and cheap to repair buy one of those econo boxes that every car company sells today. But if you want a performance car you have to put up with the good and the bad that the platform "performance car" brings.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by D J Real
seriously more people come on here just to bitch. Wahh my car burns oil, wahh my dash lights don't work wahhh something else. IT IS A MACHINE, MACHINES REQUIRE UPKEEP, UPKEEP COSTS MONEY!!! Its called research, any responsible buyer looks at est. maintenance cost before they buy a car. Guess what ours is listed by Edmonds at $1,700 a year. No one ever said owning this car was a cheap or easy investment. So frankly if you can't handle the burden both financially and mentally why did you buy the car?

Face it boys and girls ls4's are performance based cars and thus durability was sacrificed for performance. If you wanted something low maintenance and cheap to repair buy one of those econo boxes that every car company sells today. But if you want a performance car you have to put up with the good and the bad that the platform "performance car" brings.
Well said !!!
Old 11-15-2011, 06:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Some of us bought these new. $30k+. I think the frustration level is significantly higher in that scenario. I know that my GXP has turned me off to any another GM purchase in the future. I also think that people present problems here so that a collective trend can be surmised.

I have a 1 inch thick folder of repairs receipts for on my GXP. It just hit 40,000 miles and I still have to replace my turn signal switch. In reality, these cars are of the lowest quality, especially the interior.

DJ Real, I bet you didn't buy your GXP new, which is fine, but don't hammer people who have sunk a ton of money into their car and are upset that things continuously go wrong. I don't think the problem is that people can't "handle it," everyone becomes fatigued and worn down after a while.

Lighten up.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:22 AM
TECH Regular

Agreed!

If your going to come on here to complain on every other post
Old 11-15-2011, 09:59 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by texasGXP08
Some of us bought these new. $30k+. I think the frustration level is significantly higher in that scenario. I know that my GXP has turned me off to any another GM purchase in the future. I also think that people present problems here so that a collective trend can be surmised.

I have a 1 inch thick folder of repairs receipts for on my GXP. It just hit 40,000 miles and I still have to replace my turn signal switch. In reality, these cars are of the lowest quality, especially the interior.

DJ Real, I bet you didn't buy your GXP new, which is fine, but don't hammer people who have sunk a ton of money into their car and are upset that things continuously go wrong. I don't think the problem is that people can't "handle it," everyone becomes fatigued and worn down after a while.

Lighten up.

Yes you are correct I did buy my GXP used off a lease, but it doesn't matter my point still stands. While I understand that owners, especially new owners fell they sunk a lot of money into what they may fell is a bad investment, it still doesn't mean it is the cars fault. No offence but if I was going to sink 30 g's plus on a car I make damn sure that was going to be worth my investment. I really fell like a lot of people here bought these cars expecting something more then what they were buying. That is no ones fault but their own. If anything I fell the used ls4 buyers are at greater risk because most of us didn't have the kind of "new car warranty" the new buyers had that covered absolutely everything for some period of time.

That being said, that’s not why I said what I said. I went off because the same people who bitch about durability issues are the ones starting new threads about performance mods they want to make . Excuse me, but if I'm having problems with my car why in the world would I want to spend more money making it higher performance and thus further deteriorating it's durability?

Look I get there are a few who got absolute junk from the dealer, and those people have every right to say what they want. However most here didn't, they got exactly what G.M. and every other media outlet said the car was. A lot of owners on here complain about simple maintenance that they would of had in any other performance based car, especially once you start modding.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The fact is, these cars are, on average, built poorly with tons of cheap parts and several design flaws. How else could GM sell a 300+ HP large sedan for under $30k in that era?

I've owned 28 GM vehicles in my 25 years of licensed driving, and I have to say that my Impala has been the most trouble-prone...And I've owned 3 Fieros!!! I somewhat knew this going in (except for the trans issues), so I have no one to blame but myself, which is why I don't bitch about anything except the trans issues!

Still, the OP on this thread has a couple of legitimate beefs. I would not consider rusted-through mufflers to be a regular maintenance item. In fact, I think it's pretty bullshit to have to replace mufflers on a 4 year-old car. Ditto for the battery cable. And while HVAC lights are annoyance, it is pretty lame to have to replace them so soon. Hell, my old Grand National still had the original dash lighting.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes you are correct I did buy my GXP used off a lease, but it doesn't matter my point still stands. While I understand that owners, especially new owners fell they sunk a lot of money into what they may fell is a bad investment, it still doesn't mean it is the cars fault. No offence but if I was going to sink 30 g's plus on a car I make damn sure that was going to be worth my investment. I really fell like a lot of people here bought these cars expecting something more then what they were buying. That is no ones fault but their own. If anything I fell the used ls4 buyers are at greater risk because most of us didn't have the kind of "new car warranty" the new buyers had that covered absolutely everything for some period of time.

That being said, that’s not why I said what I said. I went off because the same people who bitch about durability issues are the ones starting new threads about performance mods they want to make . Excuse me, but if I'm having problems with my car why in the world would I want to spend more money making it higher performance and thus further deteriorating it's durability?

Look I get there are a few who got absolute junk from the dealer, and those people have every right to say what they want. However most here didn't, they got exactly what G.M. and every other media outlet said the car was. A lot of owners on here complain about simple maintenance that they would of had in any other performance based car, especially once you start modding.
I'm not trying to argue your point. Just relax. Try to find a little empathy with our people.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:16 PM
Staging Lane

My SS just clicked 53K. So far only disappointment mechanically is the battery failed. I bought it 9 months old and it was a rental, so there was a problem with the RF hub which I wrote off to who-knows-what happening with a rental car.

I don't think there are many choices for full size performance car in this price range.

Is your computer on a stock tune? I'm wondering if I'm going to be in for trans problems shortly.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:43 AM
Teching In

Under the hood. pos battery cable was FUBARed. Was surprised how bad it was corroded. Had to replace the end. Finding a cable at a parts store was IMPOSSIBLE. Not to mention many places said dealer only, meaning I could not get it from them had to go to the dealer.

try pouring a Dr, Pepper on it then try laying down some copo spray. Otherwise just gent one of those top post cable ends for 3 dollars. The higher enf ones are 15.

Well like i said it got fixed but I think my battery is almost dead because of this

Battery is a group 85 pretty sure I think mine was 112 bucks.

________________________________________-
But in all seriousness mufflers go out on every car and battery cable dont get corroded overnight try owning a PT cruiser where the ac line brakes because of the battery cable.

My only complaimt is there isnt a strong aftermarket. I had to get a new fender from GM only for 330 dollars, and like little aftermarket for wheels. Detroit wheel got me a new one and now I have a spare.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:39 AM
Launching!

I hate the fact I have to change my oil in my gxp, what a pos.....
Old 11-20-2011, 07:35 AM
Staging Lane

Stop whining ^^^. Not only do I have to change my oil, but also my wiper blades, they are total crap and only last about a year. I am never buying GM again.

Seriously? Batteries, burnt out bulbs, mufflers? Normal stuff. Legitimacy to our crappy transmissions complaint but we all knew, or should have known about that before we bought (unless you bought an 06 new).
Old 11-20-2011, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have noticed a lot of member turn over on here. I didn't think we would accumulate so many dicks. I guess the helpful support era of the LS4 section is over. I am due to check out anyways.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thumbs up

DJ Real, I bet you didn't buy your GXP new, which is fine, but don't hammer people who have sunk a ton of money into their car and are upset that things continuously go wrong. I don't think the problem is that people can't "handle it," everyone becomes fatigued and worn down after a while.Lighten up.

Thank you...

Originally Posted by hazards280
Agreed!

If your going to come on here to complain on every other post
Really? Really? Tell me what postings have I come in here and bashed over and over and over again. I invite you to prove me wrong. And like said what I am posting are not just me "whining" but actual isses that almost everyone is having with the cars. Funny how when I got this stuff done and even showed a picture of the engine bay back in August how there was no corrosion as I detailed the engine bay for car shows. 3 months later there is a pile of this on the terminal? That is normal matinence? (And YES I used the battery terminal protectant.) He said absolutly not and there is a problem that GM should of fixed. Sounds like you guys are the ones being the complainers. I come in here to voice my concerns I am having with the car and I get bitched out. In fact go reread my first post. Where am I whining about the car. I was stating what was wrong with a car that has only 57K on it.

I have noticed a lot of member turn over on here. I didn't think we would accumulate so many dicks. I guess the helpful support era of the LS4 section is over. I am due to check out anyways.
After the comments I see here I dont blame you. This was left field of what I thought I would get..lets repost my open:

Originally Posted by Z28 Autobot
Well the car just clicked about 57K..

First off the Trans is holding for now. But it is still going, I feel it not shifting the way it should and sloppy. Warranty runs out in June so just seeing what comes first. The trans craps out or I bring it in to get replaced before the warranty expires.
Any whining or bitching there? Nope. Just stating how it was at 57K since I reported it to the thread about the trans issues that is stickied.

Well like i said it got fixed but I think my battery is almost dead because of this. Gotta pick up the wife soon so see if it will start.
Again no bitching and whining and like said above. Ohh unless you mistaken "pos" for peice of s#!t. No it meant pos+ cable. Also I detail the car over the summer weekly including under the hood. From end of August to now it went to crap. That is not normal. I do regular services on my car so I dont know where the comments came from.

mufflers are shot. They sound great but there is two grapefruit size holes in the tops of them.
This is a regular matinence item? Not that I know of. a 2007 needs the muffler replaced on the car after 4 years? My 94 Z28 I put the flowmaster on the car in 1996 and sold it in 2009. Same muffler and not a hole in it at all. In fact the cheepo tips the shop put on rusted through from the inside over the life of the muffler as it still looked great.

I wish there was a recall on all this stuff..as it seams like it happens to a lot of us.

Interior the ac/heater controls lights are out in various places..

But yea just checking in with whats up..
So me wishing there was a recall on things that should not of gone on the car is me complaining. And as stated above. I guess short life not well made things I guess by somes standards are matinence items to some where I would not. Simple HVAC light replacement is not "simple" But sucks that they are out or intermitant.

Its like you guys miss bdyman or something and the first person that comes in here with a complaint you jump all over them.
Well I am not a noob that just got the car. Been here a while. Do I know what performace cars are? I would certainly hope so since I am no spring chicken to any of this. I researched the car before I bought it and in my original posting few years back. The reason I bought this car was for the soon to arrive baby we were having. That is why I bought the GXP. And really many of these issues were not as rampant as they are now since the cars lifespans were still newish. Back then the big posting was to stay away from the 2005 and on all the trans..I still like my car.

I love that people are finally knowing what a GP GXP is and talking to people about it at shows and cruise nights.

AND ohh by the way..my DIC just started telling me my gas cap has an issue with it. But thats a regular matinence item too right?

Last edited by Z28 Autobot; 11-20-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:09 PM
12 Second Club

I bought my car knowing what it is. My only complaint is that it has always left me wanting more, and that I bought it brand new for $36,000! I like doing maintenance, and try to spend the money on upgrades. When something does go out, I try to replace the parts with something better. Silver star headlights, wider tires, bigger battery (I'm on my 3rd!) and metallic brake pads.

Stuff pisses me off too, and I can understand the frustrations over the trans.

I really like my LS4, PBR brakes, Bilstein shocks, DVD nav/HUD, and heated suede seats. Sucks being FWD at times. I do find this car super easy to work on, and the parts affordable. Would I buy this car again? No! Screw payments!

I DON'T LIKE PEOPLE BASHING ON THESE CARS! It is.. what it is.. A performance FWD 4 door sedan. It's not a race car or a Camry.

My maintenance:
-Replaced 3 batteries (Bad ground)
-Front rotors and pads at 30K
-Front tires at 30K
-Wiper blades twice
-My heater bulb on the driver-side has burned out. (Don't care)
-Changed the oil and filter 9 times
-Trans fluid flushed and filter replaced 2 times
-Transmission rebuilt at 55,000. (Torque converter relief valve was lose)
-Headlight bulbs replaced at 35,000 miles

Self inflected pain:
Ruined DOD lifters during my first LS1 intake swap attempt
Broke my steering wheel position sensor during my cam swap
Dash rattle from pulling the cradle.

I'm at 60K now and so far so good.

Last edited by DavidGXP; 11-20-2011 at 03:16 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Update on the Bad on the GXP..