LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Considering a GXP

Old 11-28-2011, 08:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a GXP

So I've been lurking this section for a while.. I've always had a soft spot for the GXP.. Just a good looking car.

But im seeing a lot of hate especially around the transmission and axles?

I don't mind maintenance and upgrade/repair costs.. but at the same time I don't wanna have a car that needs a trans or axles every 30-50k miles either.

Burnt out bulbs in the dash, new battery's.. fine.. I see some people say they are replacing their batteries sooner than perhaps they should. Is this a common issue or just a problem of some? Last but not least whats a legit real world MPG rating. I know im asking about Gas mileage on a V8 but at the same time Im wondering because this would be a DD.

Anyone care to offer any advice? Who DDs theirs?

Last edited by Screamin_99; 11-28-2011 at 10:18 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

Wife's impala gets 18 mpg around town. Short road trip 250-300 miles I got 22 mpg running 75-90 mph.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I DD mine and it isn't all bad. I enjoy embarrassing people with my big sedan.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

ha make sure u get one for cheap because maintenance on these cars is expensive factor at least getting 2 alignments a year, tranny being bad, money on tires , brakes, bullshit problems like ISS and the stock battery breaks ... oil consumption issue... as just so u know it is my DD i cant get rid of this car for awhile im in prison with this one.. its not a bad prison to be in... but it still sucks so 4 letters my friend... DONT there's plenty of things to like about this car but as a DD its not a good choice..
Old 11-28-2011, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just replaced the factory battery about 2 weeks ago so I would say thats pretty good. I also DD my car and get about 16 to 20 mpg depending on how much spirited driving I do. Which is a fair amount. I haven't anything bad about the axles but the trans yes. My stock trans dead at 78k and I'm on my second now with over 20k now with no issues so far.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:49 PM
Launching!

i have 78,xxx miles first tranny and its my dd only problem i haave had so fat is a battery at 75,xxx and i need to replace my steering knuckle at the bottom of the steering collum it keeps clunking i love this car as a ddd i previsually had 4 pontiac bonnevilles my last one being a ssei i would like to find sone snow tires for my GXP but other than that i love it
Old 11-28-2011, 10:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by spydog
i have 78,xxx miles first tranny and its my dd only problem i haave had so fat is a battery at 75,xxx and i need to replace my steering knuckle at the bottom of the steering collum it keeps clunking i love this car as a ddd i previsually had 4 pontiac bonnevilles my last one being a ssei i would like to find sone snow tires for my GXP but other than that i love it
what year and what kind of preventative maintenance do you do?
Old 11-28-2011, 10:04 PM
Staging Lane

i worked at a dealer for 8 years.... always wanted to buy one. we sold alot and didnt see a ton of them come in for major work- they did tend to eat tires and brakes pretty frequently- but on those cars you could tell the old men treated it like it was a camaro
Old 11-28-2011, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

save your money and buy a G8....I should of did that before I bought my old GP GXP.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have an 07 gxp, got it with 14,000 miles and have 92,000 now. replaced the battery twice,lights in the radio went out, one light behind climate control went out, just replaced the rotors with brembos, tires wear out quick..lol, i was consuming a quart of oil every 3,000 miles so i got a brand new engine under warranty. most part this has been a great car.
i average about 16.8 mpg, i rarely get on the highway though. all city driving. on the highway i can get almost 30 mpg
Old 11-28-2011, 11:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bigalnash
what year and what kind of preventative maintenance do you do?
i just keep up on basic fluid changes and dont race it i have a 05 GXP i beat on it every know and then tho
Old 11-29-2011, 02:00 AM
Teching In

i really enjoy mine. ive only had it since july but nothing has gone wrong yet. it has 80,000+ miles on it. new transmission installed before i bought it. the oil consumption sucks. premium gas sucks. It's my DD and I drive ALOT for work. Got the car cheap, had to get all new tires, just did the brakes.

I would say if you could find the "right" one you want, all the options, low miles and maybe borrow someones car(family members) for like winter or something, I'd say yes.

If you can afford something else, maybe go that route. all up to you man. don't let people scare you off. you'll have to do maintainence on any car, especially something with a v8 you know your gonna get on here n there.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:09 AM
Staging Lane

I love my 08, even though it has had its fair share of problems since I bought it. So far I have done both hub assemblies in the front, inner and outer tie rods, mass air flow sensor, and now the car is having the tranny rebuilt for shuttering issues in 4th gear.

Some of that was preventative maintenance though since my dad owns his own mechanic shop, I get everything at cost. I had one inner tie rod end bad so I just replaced it all since I had to get an alignment anyway, it was fairly cheap and I did it all myself.

The MAF was replaced because it was throwing a frequency code at times, the car ran fine but it was part of diagnosing my shuttering issue.

The tranny I was expecting considering the car had 70k miles, in the end the car will be a lot funner to drive with the build its getting.

People bitch about brakes on these, they aren't that expensive to replace, cross drilled rotors are not that much more expensive than other ones. If you have to replace a billstein shock you will not be happy but they do not go out that often.

I have a set of 17" 04 GTP rims and Michelin Xice snow tires I put on for winter, this car is phenomenal in the snow with its trac/stability control system. Sure if you run around on 18's with the Potenza RE05s you will think it sucks, but you put those tires on any car and it won't go anywhere.

So in short these cars will have their share of issues, but the trade off for me is an easy choice. For a 4 door sedan that gets good mpg it is sure fun to drive and really really surprises people on the street.

I had a guy a week or so ago in a Subby WRX pull up to me at a stop light, I put the car in neutral and reved my motor up, he looked over at my white 4 door grand prix and kind of chuckled, I took my trac control off. The light turned green and I proceeded to smoke my tires while I was pulling away from him. I got traction in second and put a few cars on him and let off. He caught up to me and gave me the thumbs up and he was laughing his *** off.

Enough said.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:13 PM
Staging Lane

I daily drive mine, and have had it since June(? I think) Here's what I've got to say about mine, bad news first

Cons
-You will eat your front tires whether you get on it or not.

-DOD leaves something to be desired for. Being short a quart of oil every 3k isn't worth a 3MPG bump, IMO... especially with the problems it could cause.

-30 cent bump, sometimes more (in my area) to 93 octane over 87 is rape, pure and simple.

-The center console setup is junk. Why the hell GM decided to put cheap *** plastic in the middle of pleather or whatever the rest of our dash is made out of- with the seats made of decent leather and suede inserts (!!!) is beyond me

-The stock stereo, while better than the other cars I've owned, still doesn't produce the quality it should

-Not enough gears in the transmission. Though I hesitate to complain about the tranny, I've put 13k on my car since I bought it five months ago and I've had no problems (knock on wood)

-Paddle shifters are set up in a retarded manner

Pros

-It's a 303 horsepower grocery getter

-Seats are comfortable and heated seats are a blessing from baby Jesus

-This one may be personal, but I've never owned a car with an HUD and I think it's sweet

-Responsive handling

-For a V8, it doesn't get bad gas mileage

-Roomy. I've read some reviews that state that the car doesn't have enough interior room and the back seats are uncomfortable. Those people suck. I've had the car packed with five 180+ lb dudes and we all still had (a little) room to stretch out. It's no Cadillac, but it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be

-Trunk space is fantastic. I have a sub box, keep my tools in the trunk (I work construction) and have room to put groceries in there when I make runs to the store.

Also. I've been running synthetic in the car since I bought it and maybe it's just me but it seems to make a difference. Also, I just like the look of the car. If only someone manufactured better headlights for it...

All in all if GM had made a manual for this car I would be in love with it and my fiancee would have left me by now, she can hardly keep me out of it as it is hope this helps your decision. Happy shopping.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

DD mine

Gas mileage for the wife in town around 11 I can get around 18 with a 50/50 mix no DOD.

I know some guys have had a ridiculous amount of trouble with the trans. But they ain't made out of glass. With a couple of upgrades it should be as good as any auto tranny.
This thread should be a sticky.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-perfo...e-project.html
Old 11-29-2011, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian396
DD mine

Gas mileage for the wife in town around 11 I can get around 18 with a 50/50 mix no DOD.

I know some guys have had a ridiculous amount of trouble with the trans. But they ain't made out of glass. With a couple of upgrades it should be as good as any auto tranny.
This thread should be a sticky.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-perfo...e-project.html
I had forgotten about that thread! There have been so many on the trans issue, I lose track.

FWIW, I'm up to 40,000 miles on the TEP-upgraded trans, and it's still going strong. It does have a very slight flare on the 3-4 shift that showed up about 20,000 miles ago, but it hasn't gotten any worse. Did a fluid change about 15,000 miles ago and a small amount of clutch material was found, but nothing to be concerned about. The plan is to get the car to 200,000 miles without anymore trans issues. It has 128,000 now, so we still have a long way to go!

Sorry to hijack the thread, but the trans issues can't be stressed enough. Be prepared!
Old 11-29-2011, 07:36 PM
12 Second Club

I love my car and it's my favorite. I have saved every receipt.
Best daily driver ever. IMHO.

I replaced my front tires and front brakes at 30K. I have 60K on my car now and am still using the stock rear tires and brakes. I was not kind to my stock front tires The front brakes will wear down quickly, due to all of the weight being up front. Stock pads suck... Too much dust!

I have not had any break downs or major problems. I am on my 3rd battery.

If I had a Trans Am, GTO, or a G8 GXP, I WOULD NOT DRIVE IT EVERYDAY.

Grand prix GXP
Acceleration 0-60mph in 5.8 sec
Braking 60-0mph in 119ft.
Skid pad .82 g
Weight 3650

GTO
Acceleration 4.6 (Manual 6.0L)
Braking 60-0mph 125ft.
Skid pad .85 g
Weight 3750

G8 GT
Acceleration 0-60mph 5.4 sec
Braking 60-0mph 109ft.
Skid pad .84 g
Weight 4130

Last edited by DavidGXP; 11-29-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I miss my 08 Impala SS sometimes. I didn't have many issues at all, and I beat the **** out of it for the 37k miles I owned it.

Things I replaced

Battery - 40k miles or so
Front Brakes - 28k miles - warped rotors
TCM - 58k - my fault. I dropped it
FR wheel bearing - 58k miles - I beat the **** out of it with DR's at the track. I probably ran it 200+ times with DR's on it.

That's pretty much it. I changed the oil every 3k and never touched the trans. Best MPG was 26mpg round trip from Texas to Florida. Normally averaged 16mpg overall with 75% city driving. I was lucky, didn't burn a drop of oil, trans shifted good every time.

I miss it until I get a lil sideways in the TBSS. If I didn't need a RWD vehicle, I'd still have the Impala. I might get another for DD in a couple years if I stop making babies after the second one lol.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Considering a GXP