LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 04:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty

I've got an 06 Impala. I'm kind of wishing I had done some research before I bought this but I'm stuck now. I love the car but like everyone else I'm scared of the trans failing. It's already acting up and I've added the trans cooler and done the fluid swap.

My question to you guys is what else is a problem with these cars? Is an extended warranty something I should look into getting or should I just dish out the money and get a rebuilt trans from TEP and call it good? I'm currently at 57,035 miles.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i looked at gm extended warranties recently. they wanted 2000 for one. so i passed and figured if the trans went out i would just spend the money on a TEP trans or rebuild
Old 12-29-2011, 11:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Get the extended warranty you will use it trust me on this!!
Old 12-29-2011, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikuni_03
I've got an 06 Impala. I'm kind of wishing I had done some research before I bought this but I'm stuck now. I love the car but like everyone else I'm scared of the trans failing. It's already acting up and I've added the trans cooler and done the fluid swap.

My question to you guys is what else is a problem with these cars? Is an extended warranty something I should look into getting or should I just dish out the money and get a rebuilt trans from TEP and call it good? I'm currently at 57,035 miles.
Welcome!

What is the trans doing?

Other common problems for these cars: Wheel hubs, intermediate steering shaft, power window regulators, rear alignment, air door actuators (HVAC), water pump.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:56 PM
Teching In

The trans seems to displaying what some have referred to as torque converter pulsating while normal driving. I've also noticed slipping from first to second gear.

What's a good extended warranty? I've been researching this and so far have decided there really isn't one.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikuni_03
The trans seems to displaying what some have referred to as torque converter pulsating while normal driving. I've also noticed slipping from first to second gear.

What's a good extended warranty? I've been researching this and so far have decided there really isn't one.
Sounds like the converter clutch is shredded. You'll need a rebuild or a new trans.

A factory replacement or rebuild will ultimately have problems, too, as GM has not upgraded the trans.

The only warranty I would buy is a GM warranty, but even then, you're still getting the same crappy transmission.

It might be painful now, but I would give Dave @ Triple Edge Performance a call to discuss your needs and get a quote. He specializes in our transmissions and has built a reputation for rock solid reliability.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:47 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the input. I have contacted Dave and hopefully in a month or so will have mine rebuilt with the kit that Dave shows on the website. I've contacted a good transmission guy here and now I'm just waiting on funds.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:46 AM
TECH Junkie

GM Warranty this is what I purchased.
http://www.extendedgmwarranty.com/wa...jor-guard.html