LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Recurring Wheel Bearing Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 08:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Recurring Wheel Bearing Problems?

Has anyone had recurring issues with wheel bearings going bad? I had my right wheel bearing replaced this past July at 37,000 miles. Today, I dropped my car off at the dealer for the intermediate steering shaft popping, and in addition to that, they found both wheels bearings are bad at 44,200 miles.
Has anyone else experienced this? What could cause them to go bad so frequently?
I don't race or autocross my car... I don't get it. The good news is that the bearing are covered under the powertrain warranty.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by texasGXP08
Has anyone had recurring issues with wheel bearings going bad? I had my right wheel bearing replaced this past July at 37,000 miles. Today, I dropped my car off at the dealer for the intermediate steering shaft popping, and in addition to that, they found both wheels bearings are bad at 44,200 miles.
Has anyone else experienced this? What could cause them to go bad so frequently?
I don't race or autocross my car... I don't get it. The good news is that the bearing are covered under the powertrain warranty.
I come across this problem frequently and I find that most of the time it's due to the cheaper Chinese knock-off wheel bearings or just improper installation. Make sure they use a good brand (Timken is great) and that they're using the right amount of torque to install. Bearings should not wear out that quickly, even with aggressive driving.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:33 PM
Staging Lane

You're talking front hub and bearing assembly right? What GM vehicle DOESN'T have reoccurring issues with this? Done way more than my fair share of replacements. I'm all for OEM replacement parts but there are some GM parts that aren't made as well as aftermarket. Fuel pumps, wheel bearings, alternators, water pumps, etc.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:08 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

yeah, can't do just the bearings on these cars.. have to do the whole front wheel hub assembly... have done mine twice... along with new front axle assemblies too because the cv joints were shot... 120,xxx miles on the car...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 02-01-2012, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just wondering how much that cost lew?
Old 02-01-2012, 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just picked up the car and it drives like new. Unfortunately I am positive the tech beat the **** out of it because the g-force meter was on the DIC when I got in the car. I can't win.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:39 AM
Launching!

damn, When i took mine in for tint i reset g meter! recorded milage and trip and recorded everyting with my phone
Old 02-02-2012, 07:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rm08gxp
damn, When i took mine in for tint i reset g meter! recorded milage and trip and recorded everyting with my phone
Good thinking. I will be sure to do that next time. Although the next visit to the dealer may be to trade it in...

Quick Reply: Recurring Wheel Bearing Problems?