LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Is it absolutely required to pull the heads to swap cams & delete DoD?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 11:03 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is it absolutely required to pull the heads to swap cams & delete DoD?

Cause every DoD/AFM delete cam kit i see has head gaskets in it along with new bolts and such. This seems like a rather unnecessary step to me. it's a cam swap...not a full blown rebuild.

now the timing cover, chain, dampener, seals, etc on that portion i can see since it MUST come off...but the heads? c'mon.

in other news a very basic DOD delete kit that would play into a LS1/6 intake swap is down to 275 shipped for a NEW LS3 tray with seals/gaskets, LS7 lifters, and the guides. add in any miscellaneous you need but that's a lot cheaper than it used to be and can be done cheaper yet with careful shopping.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:29 AM
12 Second Club

Yes.. You must pull the heads in order to swap out the lifters for non dod replacements. This will require a non dod valley cover, lifters, lifter retainers, head gaskets and head bolts. When doing a cam swap, you can reuse the timing cover gasket. I do recommend replacing the cam retainer plate though, since it seals off the cam oil galleries and the seal that is inbedded in the plate, flattens out.

the ls3/ls2 valley tray will still need to have the opsu repositioned, so I suggest the katech valley cover that is machined for their opsu adapter.

Intake, cam, and did removal equipment will cost about 2500 to do right. If you shop around you might be able to do it for a lot less.

Best bang would be to use a ls1 intake, 99 ls1 camshaft,with 1.8 rockers and yellow ls6 springs, stock non dod lifters with 8 new or used std. Lifters, ls2 trays, stock chain and mill the opsu tower off of a ls2 tray and use the katech opsu adapter. This would add about 50hp with ease and would cost less the 1000
Old 02-21-2012, 11:34 AM
12 Second Club

Do not use a ls6 cam.. The lobe separation is way to wide. Our engines love 113-114. The 99 ls1 cam would be awesome. I have posted the specs before.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:42 AM
12 Second Club

Also.. Do not use ls7 lifters with short base aftermarket cams. I used them, and they worked but they are a little too short and risky.
Use the morel street lifters they are longer. There are a lot threads about ls7 lifters failing. They are nothing more then a factory replacement lifter and are nothing special. They are much better then the typical ls1 lifter though. You can search for detailed differences between the two. Ls7 lifters are fine for factory
Type cams that have larger base circles and less the .580 lift.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:46 AM
Launching!

I was reading on the katech cover. it appears to simply be a non-DoD cover with the OPSU boss milled flat. I have access to a local shop that really wouldn't charge me anything to mill that boss flat. i can then just bolt down the katech adapter. this saves about 90 bucks compared to buying their tray and their adapter together. i tried to find some used trays on ebay but none come with seals or the gasket. these alone are about 80 bucks for the 8 orings and the tray gasket. by the time shipping is factored in i'm better off to buy a new LS3 cover and just mill it myself since it comes with everything needed.

Camshaft choice is up in the air. if i really gotta yank these heads to delete DoD you bet your *** it's getting a cam at the same time. do it once and do it right while you're in there. I've contemplated a custom cam from patrick g, a thunder racing cam, a new era performance cam, vector motorsports, lingenfelter, etc. Too many choices. I do know i want this criteria though: No revving past 6500 period, should work with stock trans/converter/gearing, prefer minimal loss of low end. I'm open to cams that require a different converter or gearing if and only if my transmission goes **** up before september. if it does its probably gonna get the TEP treatment and a slight gear change.

gonna call around to local boneyards today to see if any have any intakes laying around. It's a shame the FAST won't fit as i can get a killer local deal on a FAST 90mm

so far i'm right around 350 with the DoD delete hard parts and the OPSU adapter. gaskets not included. if i can score the intake for cheap enough and select a nice cam/spring package i should be out less than 1250 bucks.

anyone want to come to PA and do the install for me? haha.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:06 PM
TECH Addict

I hear good things about the pat G cams.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:17 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by fubar569
I've contemplated a custom cam from patrick g, a thunder racing cam, a new era performance cam, vector motorsports, lingenfelter, etc. Too many choices.

Too many choices.
Wrong.... One choice. Patrick G!

I bought my valley cover off of e bay for 30.00 and milled the OPSU down for the Katech OPSU adapter. I then bought the O-rings and tray gasket. I ended up spending close to what the Katech kit costs.

Pulling the heads is easy, and the cam swap can be done in a weekend.

Pat will tell you what springs, and pushrods to use.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:28 PM
Launching!

with the katech tray for 199 does that include the OPSU adapter? if not it says it's also required which brings that kit closer to 280 before shipping. i know it can be done cheaper than 280. for 199 if it's all included i'd think about it.

I'll have to fill out the cam card and get a hold of patrick g and see what he says.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:38 PM
12 Second Club

with the katech tray for 199 does that include the OPSU adapter? if not it says it's also required which brings that kit closer to 280 before shipping. i know it can be done cheaper than 280. for 199 if it's all included i'd think about it.

I'll have to fill out the cam card and get a hold of patrick g and see what he says.
Trust me.. 280 is a deal.

Quick Reply: Is it absolutely required to pull the heads to swap cams & delete DoD?