LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Stock Resonator exhaust tips???

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 03:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Resonator exhaust tips???

Hey guys , I went and had a set of stainless mufflers put on the gxp today. I told him to hook it up with a badass deep exhaust tone and I really would like stainless. I went to pick it up and I started it up and I couldn't even tell a difference in the tone,almost as quiet as stock. So I went ahead and had him cutout the resonator hoping that more aggressive tone. Well I am still not happy at all with the volume. It's so quiet. The shop told me that the stock tips act as a sort of resonator thereself. Is this true? They do look as if they would be quite restrictive because they actually split into two tiny pipes before coming out the small opening . So do you guys think I would get better sound by changing out the factory tips or do I gotta go spend another hundred bucks and cut the stainless mufflers and straight pipe it, dont really wanna do that now considering the resonator is now gone.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:55 PM
Teching In

Actually 80 bucks they said to straight pipe it but I know that will be way too loud for a dd. but damnit I just paid 190. Could almost got the magna flow kit. Damn I wanna b loud but not too loud. I shoulda just got the flow masters for $60 more

Last edited by crazyGXPguy; 02-22-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:17 PM
TECH Regular

I dont see see the tips holding back any sound at all. I'd drive it for a week or so and see if the new mufflers open up any. If it still isnt loud enough you could always slap a couple bullet style mufflers in place of the stock replacements and that might be your solution to not running straight pipes. Sucks that you already spent the money though, best of luck with it!!

Joe.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:35 PM
Launching!

Drive it for a while and truat me it'll get louder. What brand of muffler did you have them install again?????
Old 02-22-2012, 07:41 PM
RKO
Staging Lane

A resonator needs perferations spaced just right to absorb bad sound in some type of sound deadening insulation and let the good sound through. The tips have no such attributes. You simply have quiet mufflers.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TML529
Drive it for a while and truat me it'll get louder. What brand of muffler did you have them install again?????
they are called , proflo max. they are def quiet. the res delete did wake it up just a bit, but I wanted it to b heard.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RKO
A resonator needs perferations spaced just right to absorb bad sound in some type of sound deadening insulation and let the good sound through. The tips have no such attributes. You simply have quiet mufflers.
they definitely wasnt what i was looking for and i didnt think the tips would affect the sound either, however the stock quad tips do look a bit restricive.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like they got you a muffler that isn't aggressive enough for your taste...I've got Super 44's with an otherwise stock exhaust and I get comments all the time. it sounds like **** with the DOD engaged tho

there are tips designed specifically to act as resonators, but were talking OE Ferrari, Porsche and **** like that, I'm sure there are aftermarket ones too, when your rear engined there isn't enough room to add a resonator in place of some pipe, so they put them in the tips

but you'd know if they were, the sides would have holes in them, or there would be some visable difference, i doubt GM has ever used them on a production car

get urself some glass packs, then you won't be complaining until theres cop lights in ur rearview haha

I'm going 3", no resonator and Magnaflow's as soon as I get headers
Old 02-23-2012, 12:32 AM
Launching!

I say try a set of Super 44's or The Magnaflows. I'm running the Magnaflow Catback with resonator delet and the damn thing sounds like a beast early in the morning on Startup.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:35 PM
TECH Regular

Keep the mufflers you got and just install a cutout it is honestly the best exhaust mod i think you can do. You can have it loud when you want or quite when the girlfriend/wife is in the car which is the only reason why i ever have it closed haha
Old 02-24-2012, 09:57 AM
Teching In

I can't see the stock split tips acting as a resonator, but a single may "megaphone" the sound a bit.

Quick Reply: Stock Resonator exhaust tips???