LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

K&N Cold Intake Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 11:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N Cold Intake Feedback

Looking to pick up a k&n cold air intake for my stock 06 impala but would like feedback. Have to think that given the same air filter is used on the 3.5, 3.9 and a 5.3 there would be a big benefit to giving more air to the 5.3.
Thoughts?
Old 03-10-2012, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got mine used off this forum and I have no complaints. Just dont expect huge gains in your butt meter.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

k&n dynos the car with the hood open, so dont expect the gains advertised to be real world gains
Old 03-11-2012, 07:12 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys. Doesnt sound like its worth the $300 bucks for the full intake. Will just add a k&n filter.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:32 PM

I had the K&N style Intake on my car when we built the engine and when the tuner finished tuning the car he told me the K&N was costing me power So he ran it up in front of me on the dyno then installed a Over the radiator type intake and ran it up again and gained 34hp.
We didnt touch anything else between runs and the car didnt come off the dyno to have the OTR fitted!!
Old 03-11-2012, 03:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can find used ones in the $120 range. That's what I paid, and based on the small improvement it gave, I wouldn't pay much more than that.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:56 PM
Launching!

I had mine built out of t606 cuz i hated the plastic, fitted with a huge filter. cost me 150$ installed at my local speed shop. and its purdy!
Old 03-11-2012, 11:26 PM
Launching!

siliconeintakes.com - get your couplers here

get on ebay. search for an AEM Dryflow filter. this should still be there for 20 shipped. got one 2 weeks ago. beware...it's HUGE. 4x9" cone style. you'll need to trim those couplers a tad for overall fitment.

once parts are assembled...build some version of this:

this is a shot without the shield and utilizing ONLY the very bottom of the stock airbox for the PCM tray. all un-needed excess was removed.

for just the filter and proper couplers expect to spend about 75 bucks total give or take. if you search ebay you can save a couple bucks getting the couplers there too. you'll need a 3" to 4" molded 45* bend and (2) 4" to 3" reducers.

to build the shield exactly as i did expect to have about 100 bucks in just the shield alone for sheet metal, insulation, and more for welding supplies.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

build a fender well intake. i have air intake numbers posted in a thread some where on here and the ls4 site. a k&n cai cant touch it
Old 03-12-2012, 09:08 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by vroom_vroom
build a fender well intake. i have air intake numbers posted in a thread some where on here and the ls4 site. a k&n cai cant touch it
the general consensus is any intake with excessive bends (but colder air - i.e. FWI) will flow less than a short ram/shielded CAI. The colder temps do not make up enough for the number of bends required to get the filter in the fender. Thus the optimal solution would be something like the CAI kit or similar with a very short distance between the filter and TB but also insulated from engine heat and sealed to draw air from the headlight/fender area.

an external IAT would also be a BIG help to these cars as the MAF housing gets a ton of heatsoak thus skewing the readings anyways.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

compared to my Cold Air Inductions CAI the K&N sucks. I have owned both. just my 2 cents
Old 03-14-2012, 06:48 AM
Teching In

Hey shocker u got a link for this better than k&n intake?
Old 03-14-2012, 08:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Az2fl80
Hey shocker u got a link for this better than k&n intake?
http://www.coldairinductions.com/sto...oated-black-81

There's also a (slightly cheaper) non-powder-coated version.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xxtheshockerxx
compared to my Cold Air Inductions CAI the K&N sucks. I have owned both. just my 2 cents
What he said, CAI looks much better and performs much better IMO. It's a lot more expensive but one of my favorite sayings is, "You get what you pay for".
Old 03-14-2012, 10:43 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys only had my imp SS bout 2 months now so this will be my first upgrade ordered now just waitin
Old 03-15-2012, 07:17 AM
Launching!

Good choice.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:06 AM
Teching In

Anyone have problems with the oil from the filter gettin on the MAF ?
Old 03-17-2012, 02:09 AM
Launching!

Cold Air Inductions air intake sucks, I have one. The Aluminum coated tube is a flame thrower under the hood.

You will get heat soak off the charts. I had to wrap mine in pipe insulation.

Halltech or Roto Fab is your best option. I will be switching to Roto Fab when get a Supercharger in a couple of months.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:34 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by No Hope
Cold Air Inductions air intake sucks, I have one. The Aluminum coated tube is a flame thrower under the hood.

You will get heat soak off the charts. I had to wrap mine in pipe insulation.

Halltech or Roto Fab is your best option. I will be switching to Roto Fab when get a Supercharger in a couple of months.
Link to halltech or rotofab intakes for 5.3L FWD applications plz?

Oh that's right...

Although he DOES have a valid point to SOME degree regarding the aluminum.

The big killer for us is the integrated IAT and MAF so close to the crossover. Wrap your exhaust in the bay and shield/insulate the MAF...OR do an external IAT...what happens is although your air is indeed cold from the new intake the MAF still gets heatsoaked and then the IAT reads more to the effect of MAF tube temp rather than intake air temp...and its **** slow to respond to any changes. In all reality the air does not spend enough time in that tube to reach the temperatures our sensor says it does...
Old 03-17-2012, 10:34 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fubar569
Link to halltech or rotofab intakes for 5.3L FWD applications plz?

Oh that's right...

Although he DOES have a valid point to SOME degree regarding the aluminum.

The big killer for us is the integrated IAT and MAF so close to the crossover. Wrap your exhaust in the bay and shield/insulate the MAF...OR do an external IAT...what happens is although your air is indeed cold from the new intake the MAF still gets heatsoaked and then the IAT reads more to the effect of MAF tube temp rather than intake air temp...and its **** slow to respond to any changes. In all reality the air does not spend enough time in that tube to reach the temperatures our sensor says it does...

Buy a hack saw and make it fit. Its a plastic tube with a MAF sensor and a air filter.

I wanted an inverted tip filter for my CAI intake but no one made a direct replacement. I bought a AFE inverted tip filter close to the CAI filter, cut the rubber boot off my old OEM system cut a 2" long by 4" diameter piece of Aluminum tube midway through a 90 degree bend and Yapple Dapple,, I had my inverted tip filter and it looked like it came with the CAI intake system

Quick Reply: K&N Cold Intake Feedback